SAS got a axle but need help.

So today i picked up a axle to do on my 93 nissan hardboy. was gonna go on pathfinder but i got my truck and i want a flat bed rock crawler so went with truck. Its supposably out of a 91 jeep cherokee, would anyone know what axle that is? and is there any way i can check on it? is it a good axle to use? And what are some good tips for a guy doing his first axle swap himself. i got a friend who will do welding. i am lookin for as much help as possible. from gears, locker, what i should replace on the axle. thanks guys help me out. i wanna join the sas group. and one main thing i need help with is what do i use for steering?

A 91 Cherokee, I believe, has a Dana35 in it. That's not quite strong enough if you're going to be spending the time/effort/money on a SAS, presumably to run big tires, only to have to swap it out later for a Dana44 or larger.

A 91 Cherokee, I believe, has a Dana35 in it. That's not quite strong enough if you're going to be spending the time/effort/money on a SAS, presumably to run big tires, only to have to swap it out later for a Dana44 or larger.

dana 35, yes and i wouldn't even bother.

the first thing the jeep guys do is to get rid of those.

If you break an axle shaft, your wheel will fall off due to the wheel bearing / stub shaft design.

Edited by 87pathy

do what EVERYONE else does, and get a d44 from an old waggy

not everybody..

but most.

if you want to keep the stock H233b rear end, you should go this route.

If you want to go full width, get a HPD44

(i have a full wideth HPD44)

not everybody..

but most.

would i be able to get a d44 and keep my stock rear end?

if you get a waggy front end (waggy front end = d44), yes you can keep the rear. Just have to make sure the gears match.

ok cool. well so far i got one of my friends who wants my dana 35 so i am sellin him that and i hope to come up on a dana 44 soon. has anyone used the 60" chevy springs for the rear on a hardbody>? i hear thats the trick they used on the rear of yotas. rear is my main problem as of right now. the front cant be touched until i grab a 44 and gear all my other stuff. any information on steering>?

ok cool. well so far i got one of my friends who wants my dana 35 so i am sellin him that and i hope to come up on a dana 44 soon. has anyone used the 60" chevy springs for the rear on a hardbody>? i hear thats the trick they used on the rear of yotas. rear is my main problem as of right now. the front cant be touched until i grab a 44 and gear all my other stuff. any information on steering>?

its chev 63's.

the are REALLY long.

they work well, but would take som fab work.

there are much better alternatives out there now.

trail gear, RE, etc.

not everybody..

but most.

Yea, i think you get what i mean....although SOME people go ahead and throw like a d60 or something under......when most people start out they use the waggy

its chev 63's.

the are REALLY long.

they work well, but would take som fab work.

there are much better alternatives out there now.

trail gear, RE, etc.

what are the other better set ups i can buy off trail gear. i am mainly focusing on what front leaf springs i should attain and rears at same point. i am gonna use the calmini front hanger bar, any other options?

not sure what to use for hte rear of a hardbody.

for the front use Waggy 44044's.

PM packie 88 for hte part number, thats what he used and works well.

what are those? the waggy 44044s? lol. sry i am trying to figure this out. they stock springs?

alright here you go ill hand

rancho rs 44044

http://www.jegs.com/i/Rancho/801/RS44044/10002/-1

rear springs i used

basically any progressive early bronco 5.5 inch coil

http://nissannut.com/projects/long_arm/

thats the rear link page i used to gather my information

http://nissannut.com/projects/SAS_WD21/

and what i used for the front i kinda used those a s a basis of my research... search around nissannuts website he knows alot and has posted it for others to see and use

alright here you go ill hand

rancho rs 44044

http://www.jegs.com/i/Rancho/801/RS44044/10002/-1

rear springs i used

basically any progressive early bronco 5.5 inch coil

http://nissannut.com/projects/long_arm/

thats the rear link page i used to gather my information

http://nissannut.com/projects/SAS_WD21/

and what i used for the front i kinda used those a s a basis of my research... search around nissannuts website he knows alot and has posted it for others to see and use

thanks a ton. that helped a lot on the springs, but i am a hardbody so i am gonna stay leaf springs rear. but reading on the entire steering thing on nissannut.com, its hard to get what i do to get the steering knuckle to bolt up and what part to use. and exact bolt on knuckle for straigt front?

dana 35, yes and i wouldn't even bother.

the first thing the jeep guys do is to get rid of those.

If you break an axle shaft, your wheel will fall off due to the wheel bearing / stub shaft design.

there wasnt a d35 front just a rear, its a d30 throw it in the dumpster or sell it back to a heep ***. its only good for stock sized tires

yea i think a guy either on nissan4wheelers.com or the AC boards had em... not sure which ones... but i do know there is alot of good info on the nissan4wheelers.com website if you wanna check that one out as well and read there info but let us know ifyou have any more ?

thanks man. awsome info for me. that takes care of my rear if they go good has anyone seen this on a nissa? the 63" chevy springs?

Chevy 63's on a Pathy - gives you an idea for your HB.

ramp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Number 1: A Dana 30 front out of a Cherokee would be a reverse rotation front axle. If the shaft breaks the wheel does not fall off! Only if you break the outer stub shaft will it do that, also good luck on that, I run 37" tires on a locked and chromoed D30. Having said all of that, yes I would still go for the D44 as it can be built stronger and has the capability of using Locking hubs. The 30 can get locking hubs but they are extremely expensive. Also saying that the D30 is only good for stock tires shows your ignorance in the Dana 30!

Simon

Number 1: A Dana 30 front out of a Cherokee would be a reverse rotation front axle. If the shaft breaks the wheel does not fall off! Only if you break the outer stub shaft will it do that, also good luck on that, I run 37" tires on a locked and chromoed D30. Having said all of that, yes I would still go for the D44 as it can be built stronger and has the capability of using Locking hubs. The 30 can get locking hubs but they are extremely expensive. Also saying that the D30 is only good for stock tires shows your ignorance in the Dana 30!

Simon

I have to agree that the D30 is a WAY under-rated axle. I've seen guys run hard with 35"s on them for several seasons with no breakage (open diff). As noted, the D44 is a better choice, but if a guy had a D30 sitting in front of him it would potentially be an axle worth building.