2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Pezzy

Nissan has been a strong player in the midsize SUV market ever since the first Pathfinder made its debut in 1987. Back then, it was based on the then-new, mas macho Hardbody truck platform--remember that flared-fender beast that muscled out the bland, boxy Datsun pickup?--and immediately found favor with sport/utility buyers.

2001 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Side View

While Pathfinders sold during the 2001-2004 model years are the fourth generation of the SUV, they are the first to benefit from Nissan's decision to build the Xterra. How? With the Xterra on the scene in 2000, Nissan could appeal to the younger crowd with a slightly brash, more extroverted truck-based 'ute. Having that part of the market covered, the company made the Pathfinder more upscale, moving the vehicle away from its original body-on-frame foundation to unibody construction shared with the then-recently launched Infiniti QX4 luxury SUV.

For the fourth-gen, Nissan did some cleaning up in the engine room. The old SOHC V-6 was dumped in favor of a new 3.5-liter DOHC V-6. Power rose from a comparatively paltry 170 horsepower to 240. Actually, there was a 250-horse version, but only with the five-speed manual, and that trans came only in the lower-end SE model. Nissan decided to up the Pathfinder's profile, equipping a large portion of the Pathfinder build with leather, automatic transmissions, and sophisticated AWD systems.

Indeed, the lower trim levels could be equipped either as rear drive or with a conventional transfer-case 4WD setup, including low range; this system was intended only for slippery conditions. New to the Pathfinder lineup was the All-Mode electronic 4WD system borrowed from the QX4.

Nissan had the Pathfinder well under control during this generation's four-year span, so relatively few changes were made. In 2002, a new grille was introduced just as the base XE model was dropped, making the SE and the LE the only trim levels from which to choose. For 2003, Nissan offered a Vehicle Dynamic Control Package, including traction control, Vehicle Dynamic Control--Nissan's term for stability control--and a tire-pressure-monitoring system. In the final year of this generation, the LE model became the Platinum Edition. Because Nissan altered so little--and virtually nothing of consequence in the drivetrain--the decision about which model year you choose comes down to price, condition, and equipment.

Generally, the Pathfinder seems to provide strong, reliable service, though owners occasionally complain about sub-20s fuel economy even with just six cylinders under the hood. Even though the Pathfinder is based on Nissan's compact pickup, it's really not a Jeep-like off-roader. Apparently, the front suspension is prone to suffer from off-road abuse. Online guides recommend checking the suspension for damage and listening carefully for creaking and groaning during the test drive. In addition, this generation of Pathfinder became much more electronically sophisticated--particularly with the All-Mode 4WD system--so check all the accessories and systems, and be sure the Check Engine light is not on during your test drive.

2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Body type: Four-door SUV

Drivetrain: Front engine, RWD/4WD

Airbags: Dual front

Engines: 3.5L/240-250 hp DOHC V-6

Brakes, f/r: Disc/drum, ABS

Price range, whlsl/ret (IntelliChoice): $4956/$8049 (2001 RWD XE); $8485/$12,582 (2004 4WD Platinum Edition)

Recalls: Too many to list, see www.intellichoice.com

NHTSA frontal impact rating, driver/pass: 5 stars/5 stars

http://www.trucktrend.com/buyersguide/preo...nder/index.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan's original Pathfinder was introduced in 1985, long before sport utilities became fashionable. The model was a 2-door vehicle based on the 4-wheel-drive pickup, and was praised for its off-road abilities. Changes in U.S. vehicle import laws spurred the evolution of the Pathfinder into a 4-door in 1990. In mid-1999 Pathfinder assumed its present form. No longer truck-based, Pathfinder features a unique MonoFrame construction that delivers a smoother, quieter ride. The 2001 Pathfinder went on sale in March 2000.

The 2001 Pathfinder continues with the styling it received midway through the 1999 model year, but features a piece of crap 3.5-liter DOHC V6 that likes to let screws loose and eventually grenade itself, and a restyled rice rocket instrument panel. Don't forget about the shift flare problems with this new powerplant. A navigation system, a rear entertainment system, an in-dash 6-disc CD changer and an All-Mode AWD System are now available on certain models.

Edited by FUELER

I'll tell you one thing, they sure as hell outperform and look alot better then any wd

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don't really want to start a wd21-r50 fight, they soemtimes seem to get a little heated. I make my jokes on ocasion but end it quickly so it don't get carried away. Each has it's plus and minus points(even if they didn't make a 2 door r50).

I'll tell you one thing, they sure as hell outperform and look alot better then any wd

Oh jeeze, dont even get them started.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don't really want to start a wd21-r50 fight, they soemtimes seem to get a little heated. I make my jokes on ocasion but end it quickly so it don't get carried away. Each has it's plus and minus points(even if they didn't make a 2 door r50).

let him start it. i doubt he can finish it, especially when his argument is that an R50 will outperform a WD21... unless he meant on the highway.

let him start it. i doubt he can finish it, especially when his argument is that an R50 will outperform a WD21... unless he meant on the highway.

I could start it, but that would be what you would want me to do so I wont :rofl:

Lol @ Alexrex & 01...

...my 2002 VQ recently turned in 5000 miles between oil changes and used about 3/4 qt. My truck has 62,7xx on it and is an auto.

Most of my mileage is City driving (2-6mi trips), the most stressful for an engine (I think?).

Everyone with a VQ just add my un-patented inline filter to stop the oil from going into the intake, lol.

edit: it used less than 1/2 qt for those 5K miles!! I just changed my oil tonight.

Edited by 02silverpathy

Lol @ Alexrex & 01...

...my 2002 VQ recently turned in 5000 miles between oil changes and used about 3/4 qt. My truck has 62,7xx on it and is an auto.

Most of my mileage is City driving (2-6mi trips), the most stressful for an engine (I think?).

Everyone with a VQ just add my un-patented inline filter to stop the oil from going into the intake, lol.

You made a filter? :scratchhead:

I added a filter between the pcv and the throttle body.

Removed the brass colored metal line,

Added rubber gas line from the pcv,

added a small frosted plastic fuel filter (with filter media inside) in line,

connected another small section of gas hose from the filter to the throttle body.

Done!

This has been sucessful at catching oil blow-by between oil changes, maybe 1 ounce?

This also tells me that oil consumption is not really a PCV issue, or at least not to a large extent. I suppose when my filter starts really pick up oil it will be time for a new valve cover gasket, until then the only real issue I have is the drivers side #6 spark plug fill up with oil...this is a cause for a new valve cover...yikes @ $200!

Yeah they overheat when you wheel them in the boiling sahara sands with high rpm :rolleyes:

Oh jeeze, dont even get them started.

Oups am I starting it :crossedwires:

:scratchhead:

Oh, you mean like a H3 Hummer will out perform the original H1, now I get it.

Nah i dont think it is a fair comparison , plus it is an insult to the R50 to have the H3 and the R50 on the same side of comparison .

you can get the H3 with a 320hp V8 and front/rear lockers (Alpha model with Adventure Package). it will easily outperform an R50.

that wasn't the point... the point was you're saying an r50 could outwheel a wd just the way a h3 could a h1...

both of which or completely false.

that wasn't the point... the point was you're saying an r50 could outwheel a wd just the way a h3 could a h1...

both of which or completely false.

As bigred07 explained that's the point , and not to compare an H3 with an R50 which are both form different categories .

The R50 will outperform any wd in the desert and in some snowy conditions , while the wd will outperform the R50 on rocks and ditches .

I personally would love to put a challenge between an R50 and a WD on different offroad sections and compare stock to stock offcourse .

Edited by TheCrow