Do you all have headers?

Who has headers? Who does not? What are the advantages to having them and disadvantages? Are you happy with your headers? Where did you get yours from? What year are they on?

We are looking into getting headers for the 87 but I am having an EXTREMELY hard time finding a set. I can find set for 87 2WD, 87 4WD AUTOMATIC but cannot locate for the 87 4WD 5 speed stick...ggrr....so is this maybe something that cannot be added to the 87?

Thanks all

BH

I think that Thorley is your only option. Thorley Headers - 4x4parts.com

They will give you more power and IMO, better sound. The VG30 sounds really nice with headers and a decent muffler. If you have broken exhaust studs you may also have a warped manifold. That is what leads most Pathfinder owners to install headers. I actually have a set for my current Pathy. I am going to install them when I fix my broken exhaust studs.

Edited by KovemaN

I just bought a set of Thorleys (better build quality than pacesetters it is said) for my 95 from Rocky Road Outfitters, they by far have the best price, $360 before tax and shipping. Headers will increase power, throttle response, exhaust note and milage if you keep your foot out of it... :D

B

i've had thorley headers for about 4 years now. They make for a little bit more power. I also replaced my muffler and catalytic converter when i had them installed. The exhaust sounds nice. Make sure you check the nuts on the studs for proper torque once in a while. They will get loose.

mine were $350 from rocky-road

Thanks all.... I looked at the 4x4parts site but I am unable to find a set of thorley for my model....any suggestions....

It is an 87 V-6 SE VIN H 4x4 5 speed manual

I've got the same truck, Thorleys should fit just fine.

Wow what a coincidence. I was going to ask too about headers. The problem with me though, is that I want to turbocharge my VG30. Id would strongly prefer headers with a turbo port, but have no clue where to find them. Might be a custom job, anyone know?

Wow what a coincidence. I was going to ask too about headers. The problem with me though, is that I want to turbocharge my VG30. Id would strongly prefer headers with a turbo port, but have no clue where to find them. Might be a custom job, anyone know?

It would be custom, but you might be able to "kit bash" a set made for a turbo Z. Their crossover pipe is above the bell housing, which is why we can't just use a set made for them as is.

I don't have headers (atleast....i don't THINK i do...) but I really think my truck has pretty good getup and go....could use the topend power, but takes off pretty fine..

Although, If I have a cracked manifold or something, I will just replace it with headers :s

I had warped manifolds and broken studs...replaced manifolds with stock manifolds from a low mileage parts truck...I just took a flat file and resurfaced the mating surface on them and used high temp gasket sealer and gaskets...All is good! If they go again...headers it will be

why not use regular headders and go for a downstream turbo(and a really good skidplate after). there is allot more room under the vehicle than there is under the hood.

What am I saying! I don't like turbos, just supercharge it. :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

As crazy as I am, I would go so far as to twin-charge it. Have the supercharger for the low-end and a turbo for the mid-high to high-end range. All Im doing now is strictly research, waiting for income to build up before I mess around. Ill go so far as to buy an arc welder and make custom headers myself. A downstream turbo IS tempting, Id definitely get myself a skidplate. I was thinking of using a turbo on the left-hand side of the engine and using a crossover pipe for the right-hand side.

why not use regular headders and go for a downstream turbo(and a really good skidplate after). there is allot more room under the vehicle than there is under the hood.

What am I saying! I don't like turbos, just supercharge it. :aok:

Edited by Madcat

I've been running the Doug Thorley Headers for 4 or 5 years now and really really like them.

Rugged Rocks now can get Doug Thorley Headers. I'll be listing them on the site soon, keep your eyes peeled on the e-mail newsletter for updates.

Edited by SteeevO