Dash swap...89 into 87...can this be done?

beckylynn420

Guessign your doeing the dashpad as well, if so remember to make sure you switch the V.I.N. tags so the correct # goes in the correct truck. That and be careful takign the vents out of the top of the dash to get to the bolts under them, the clips tend to brake easily since it is 20 year old plastic that has been in direct sunlight all its life. (p.s. have an extra set of hands as well, lining up when installing SUCKS alone)

yep...you may have to change some brkts but I doubt it...I currently have a 95 dash in my 87 and the only thing I had to change was the halo's around the center console and the steering wheel support...but 86.5-93 should all be the same

and as mentioned above make sure u change out vin tags...

The gist of the work is:

~remove defog vents (don't forget the ones on the sides but no screws here) and screws

~remove A pillar trim

~remove all trim and screws

~remove lower sections of dash including glovebox area (more screws hiding behind here)

~remove the gauges and all of that stuff

~figure out a workaround for the ac stuff but I wouldnt try pulling the cables

~drop the steering wheel all the way down and remove the dash

it's sad that i've done this so many times now that I can pretty much pull it out and put it back in, in probably an hour

yep...you may have to change some brkts but I doubt it...I currently have a 95 dash in my 87 and the only thing I had to change was the halo's around the center console and the steering wheel support...but 86.5-93 should all be the same

and as mentioned above make sure u change out vin tags...

The gist of the work is:

~remove defog vents (don't forget the ones on the sides but no screws here) and screws

~remove A pillar trim

~remove all trim and screws

~remove lower sections of dash including glovebox area (more screws hiding behind here)

~remove the gauges and all of that stuff

~figure out a workaround for the ac stuff but I wouldnt try pulling the cables

~drop the steering wheel all the way down and remove the dash

it's sad that i've done this so many times now that I can pretty much pull it out and put it back in, in probably an hour

Thank everyone!!! So since you are a master at this you wanna come to tulsa this weekend? lol...just kidding....

I appreciate the breakdown...hopefully I can get it pulled while they are swapping the engine tonite....wish me luck!!

Thanks

BH

PS....any secrets to share to keep this other dash in pristine condition so it does not crack up (get it crack up :chairfall: ) like the other one? Cannot always park the truck in the garage since sometimes my car takes precident with the weather and the kids!! Thanks again