Idle speed

joshellis

When started from cold my 5spd 87 idles at 1900-2000rpm for the first 5 minutes or so. When it reaches normal temp it drops down to 750rpm and stays there all day well behaved. It also smells quite rich when its cold.

Is this idle speed too high? If so can I adjust myself? Is there a cold start mixture setting also?

Thanks

is your check engine light on? sometimes a stuck egr valve can cause that, but your should check the ecu and see if it has stored any error codes.

my 92 does that to latly. it never used to do that before i put my cold air intake. i think my MAF is dirty idk what else would do it it ran fine beofre that and a month after started to do that same thing. does yours have a maf?

Yeah I cleaned the MAF sensor using the q-tip method in the How To section...

Do you mean check engine light in the dash? Plz correct me if wrong but I didnt think my rig had one (Feb 87) I retrieved the error codes from the ECU and all I got was 'ECCS Working Fine'

Also I had a look at the EGR valve, looks to be pretty new - its vacuum operated right?

Edited by joshellis

There is no check engine light for the TBI engines. You can manually adjust your fast (cold) idle by a screw facing the sky. However if nothing was messed with and it suddenly started idling high, it will be pointless to adjust your idle because it will not solve the problem but relieve the symptom. That's a maybe as well, because if a sensor is haywire you could adjust that screw all day long and the computer won't let it idle down. Your MAF sensor is still very suspect. Remove your MAF sensor and take a pick of some sort and clean off each contact and also do your best to clean the wiring clip. Corrosion can build up here and cause some pretty interesting idle issues...

If you'd like, I can post a video and show you what a little bit of corrosion on those contacts can really do with your truck. ;)

Edited by Kingman

AIV solenoid, swtch or box.

mine does the same, and didn't before i had Air Idle Valve (adds more air at idle). problems.

didn't find the problems till i took it in during my emissions fiasco.

Interesting. I just got the truck 6 mths ago, its my first VG30, I just assumed that this was the normal warm up speed. I'll have a look at the MAF again thx.

But 2000 is too high right??

yeah mine will idel at 2000rpm sometimes then when its warm goes to 750 but everyone once ina while latly when i push the clutch in when its warm it dies or will idel at 150rpm(no joke) what with that? is it the MAF or is it something else? Truck ran fine then i put a cold air intake and then about 6 months after doing so its started to do the high idel when cold then normal idel when warm and everyonce in a while its sounds like its off lol but you can here it going putt..........putt..........putt lol needle is between 0 and 200 rpm lol and it dies sometimes also when i push the clutch in when shifting or sitting at a light after its at operating temp. It seems to run fine when im giving it gas and its doing the low idel thing but it needs extra gas its not ideling on its own i have to sit there and rev it or give it more gas otherwise it dies. It only does that like 2 times a week or less when i have the clutch in while shifting or at a light. does the low idel usually shortly after or before so i have some what of a forwarning!

Edited by edicer2

yeah mine will idel at 2000rpm sometimes then when its warm goes to 750 but everyone once ina while latly when i push the clutch in when its warm it dies or will idel at 150rpm(no joke) what with that? is it the MAF or is it something else? Truck ran fine then i put a cold air intake and then about 6 months after doing so its started to do the high idel when cold then normal idel when warm and everyonce in a while its sounds like its off lol but you can here it going putt..........putt..........putt lol needle is between 0 and 200 rpm lol and it dies sometimes also when i push the clutch in when shifting or sitting at a light after its at operating temp. It seems to run fine when im giving it gas and its doing the low idel thing but it needs extra gas its not ideling on its own i have to sit there and rev it or give it more gas otherwise it dies. It only does that like 2 times a week or less when i have the clutch in while shifting or at a light. does the low idel usually shortly after or before so i have some what of a forwarning!

About the CAI, I think i remember hearing about the little hose that usually plugs into the air channel not being put on some CAI's, and this causing issues

well what could cause it to work fine for a few months then start doing this. what is this little hose? I have all the hoses connected that were connected to my orginal one

Edited by edicer2

i have the same high-idle issue in the cold, but it's because my warm air intake valve is a little sticky. once the outside temp is around 15C I get no problems (15-1700rpm). It may also have somethng to do with the little intake warmer/spacer under the TB. I just cleaned all the EGR crap off of it so I'll find out this winter.

That sputtering is probably because you have the wrong size cold air setup, and your engine is breathing a little too easily(kinda like the wind blowing in your face when you take a big breathe) causing it to choke a little. I'm guessing at this because i reset my idle to 800 and found out that she'll stall after running for about five minutes with the air-filter out.

• 4 weeks later...