lwr balljoint screw and cv boot

jgt

so I looked under my truck cuz another cv boot got ripped, just had the mechanic replace both axles ball joints. Then I see 2 of the lowerball joint screws missing. The head of the screw worked it's way up and punctured the cv boot. So that 'new' balljoint is toast and I'm gonna have to replace that boot again. I'm so done with the clowns who worked on my truck.

so I looked under my truck cuz another cv boot got ripped, just had the mechanic replace both axles ball joints. Then I see 2 of the lowerball joint screws missing. The head of the screw worked it's way up and punctured the cv boot. So that 'new' balljoint is toast and I'm gonna have to replace that boot again. I'm so done with the clowns who worked on my truck.

Shouldn't they be responsible for fixing it for you? Free of charge of course...

• 3 weeks later...

I found 1 of misisng balljoint screws that came undone and they were cross threaded during installation. So I got 2 new bolts from Napa. If I replace the two bolts and locktite them, is this totally unsafe to drive cuz that bj boot is torn? It's got only a few thousand miles on this cv/balljoint. Does it look like I did any more damage (i.e. tre or ??) other than the Cv boot and lower BJ from the pix? I included a pix of the driver side for comparison to the bad side.

post-2922-1250620339_thumb.jpg

post-2922-1250620370_thumb.jpg

post-2922-1250620393_thumb.jpg

Edited by jgt

Wow, definitely do not go back to that shop and warn others about them!!

It should not be unsafe to drive with the torn boot, it will just degrade much faster; I see there is already some rust...

Do this: jack up that side or the entire front and see if that ball joint shifts or drops; that will tell you if it is damaged. Assuming not, use a crow bar or something and pry by the LCA to see if you can get any movement out of the ball joint. If there is a little, it is worn and if there is a lot, it is shot.

I will guess you will not be able to see or generate any movement and if this is the case, grease the BJ well via the zerk and maybe dab some into the tear just to cover the metal and it should be ok to drive for a while but you probably want to save for a replacement and use the time to ask around for a reliable repair shop.

How does it handle and steer right now? Does it feel fine?

Oh, wheeling will damage it much faster than street driving.

B

You'd be fine on the ball joint for at least a year if not longer with the boot torn, especially since it is a new one. I rode around on mine for 3 years with a torn boot on it, I'd just regrease it regularly. When I did finally replace them (uppers were shot, so did both at the same time) they were still in good condition aside from the boot.

thanks for your input guys. I am hoping when we jack it up and replace the bolts this weekend, the control arm and axle will look more 'straightened out' rather than saggy like now. btw, the rust is just the thing when you are in Hawaii, esp. if you're a beach bum like myself.

• 2 weeks later...