Replacing the Timing Belt & Adding an AT Cooler

DoctorBill

Blackspawn - Lord no ! Maybe a day or less. I sent you a message.

Bought a "Seal Puller" at Harbor Freight for $5 today.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=35556

Then bought the two large coolant hoses (GATES) at Schuck's for $32 total.

CoolantHoses.jpg

It is hotter than Hell out today. Nap time....

Relatives coming to visit....may slow down even more (is that possible ?).

More to come tomorrow...

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

This morning I "pulled" the Oil Seal out of the R3 Camshaft end.

The seal rubber was brittle and crumbled. Probably the original - never replaced (?).

Pushed a screwdriver into the rubber and made a hole in the Oil Seal.

Then I shoved the "Seal Puller" hook into that hole and pried the old seal out.

Cleaned and dressed the Oil Seal Well with Kleenex.

Here is what the new seal looks like:

CSOilSeal.jpg

I am presuming that side "B" (the hollow side with the long spring surrounding the center)

goes into the Seal Well - thus keeping the long spring covered in oil so it won't corrode.

That is how they were in there originally....(but that does not presume that it was originally done correctly, though !).

The "arrow" on the back side shows a clockwise rotation - is that the way the Cam Pulley rotates ?

I applied Grease to the outer edges (as the Chilton Manual says) and pushed the Seal into the Camshaft Well

with my thumbs - went in easily (that's what she said...).

I then used the old seal to tap it in as far as the other one is, with a rubber mallet.

NewCSOSGoingIn.jpg

The old seal seats on the Camshaft allowing even pressure when tapping the new one in.

Samo, samo with L3...

Pulling L3 out...

PullingL3OSOut.jpg

Now for the Front Crank Oil Seal (Nissan Part No. 13510 - 88G00) which did not come out easily...

The Front Crank Oil Seal was more difficult to pull out.

Stooping over and the shaft sticking out makes removing the seal harder.

Once out, there is an inner lip over which the Oil Seal must go.

Edit from later on - 8-23-09:

Click on this link to find out how to insert this Oil Seal very easily.

Post Number 234 - Oil Seal Insertion Method

InnerLiponCS.jpg

So...I soaked the Oil Seal in motor oil that I warmed up in the sun...

..and it still wouldn't go on without flipping (inverting) the inner rubber lip and disgorging the long round coil spring

inside of it. Crappola....

Finally, in despiration, I slipped a small screw driver in between the seal and the shaft and "expanded" the seal's

inner edge untill it slipped over the lip.

I just hope to Hell that spring didn't come off and is now loose on the shaft inside the engine...!

But - that is now taken care of - TCO.

More to come...

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Another way of installing the seal is getting a piece of plastic from a margarine container, cutting it in a rectangle, rolling it into a cylinder shape and wetting it with oil...you put it inside the seal and then shove the seal over the cylinder you fabricated with the margarine container. presto! I used that method a couple times to get the seal to go over a machined lip and it seams to work out ok...

Edited by magregor

The cover of the Thermostat was removed (3 bolts) and taken off along with

the Thermostat.

Have a large pan or such under the vehicle to catch the released Coolant.

RemovingThermostat.jpg

I removed the remaining bolts from the Water Pump and immediately placed them

in their respective holes in the New Water Pump in order to keep track of them -

they are not all the same length !

KeepingTrack.jpg

Then I pulled the Water Pump off and quite a lot of Coolant dumped into the

pan I had under the vehicle.

DrainingCoolant.jpg

Notice the old Gasket (arrow in photo) - The Gasket I got also has a portion going across the Pump's length. Odd.

I still have to remove that small 90° hose above the Pump.

But...with appologies to those waiting to see this finished, I am going to light up a nice Cigar (God's gift to men)

and go sit in a lawn chair and contemplate the Cosmos, Dark Matter, our trees and watch the birds crap on everything.

CigarandLawn-1.jpg

Looks like it might rain...

Later Dudes.

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Took the small 90° rubber hose out - way up inside behind the Thermostat.

It is a bugger as there is little room to move it back off the pipe.

The Thermostat had some rubbery gasket compound sealing it.

Will remove it tomorrow.

The area where the Water Pump (WP) sets was hosed down to wash off the remaining

Coolant and the system was flushed out with the garden hose until clear water

came out.

I noticed that the gasket material left on the block softened up nicely once it

was wet for a while.

The softening with water made it much easier to use a single edged razor blade

to scrape off the gasket.

Note - take your time ! Go back over every area several times as it is amazing

how you will keep finding gasket material that you missed !

I put the bolts back into the old Water Pump in their respective places (again -

to keep track of which goes where) so that I could fit the new gasket

(that came with the WP) onto the new pump.

It came wrinkled. I will Iron it with me wife's clothes iron to make it flat.

It is made of thick Paper....

The WP is just over 12 inches long - a ruler is in the photo.

WaterPumpGasket.jpg

I think I will adhere the gasket to the new WP with some NAPA Gasket Shellac

that I have. Comes in a small bottle with a "ball aplicator" on a wire inside the

bottle. Not much - just enough to make it adhere...

That way, it won't fall off as I try to get the WP back in place.

You might be able to get it back w/o moving by leaving most of the bolts in the WP

and then it might just stay in place hanging onto the bolts (?)

That's enough for today....more later - putting the WP back on.

I want to get this job done...

DoctorBill

PS - Magregor - I like your method of getting the Oil Seal over that lip - wish I had known about it a bit earlier...

"Another way of installing the seal is getting a piece of plastic from a margarine container, cutting it in a rectangle,

rolling it into a cylinder shape and wetting it with oil...you put it inside the seal and then shove the seal over the

cylinder you fabricated with the margarine container. presto! I used that method a couple times to get the seal to

go over a machined lip and it seems to work out ok... "

Edited by DoctorBill

To replace the small 90° rubber bypass hose, I cut the hose I purchased (MasterPro - 20698 C0693)

by placing the old one beside it and measured where to cut with a fresh single edge razor blade (SERB).

The cut hose was then dropped into a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes to soften it – man that works well !

Use leather gloves as the hose will be hot – but it goes on VERY nicely when it is hot like that !

Don't forget to put the hose clamps on the hose before installing it !

Cleaned off the Thermostat housing ends with a SERB and used Blue RTV Silicone as the gasket material –

thin bead – don't want it squeezing out inside and screwing up the cooling system. You don't need much !

RTVThermostatHousing.jpg

The Nissan Thermostat is 76.5° C (Part 21200 – 42L01 on the Box) and the short end faces out (obvious)

with the "Top" upward (where the air bleed is).

Here it is, all assembled.

ThermostatInPlace.jpg

I ironed the Water Pump (WP) gasket with the wife's iron – the gasket came kinked - in the package.

Water Pump – Nissan Part No. 21010 – 12G28 - off the Box.

Applied a THIN layer of NAPA Gasket Shellac to the WP edges and to the Gasket edges with a Q-Tip

( I left no fibers on it !)...

ShellacingWPGasket.jpg

...and stuck the gasket to the WP - lining up the bolt holes immediately - gets tacky quickly.

Applied the Gasket Shellac to the other side of the gasket and to the engine block

where the WP goes. A Q-Tip works fine - just rotate it as you apply the shellac...

I placed the old WP with the bolts in it on the top of the engine and transferred two

bolts over to the new WP right away to hold the WP in place.

Made sure the gasket was where it should be, then transferred the rest of the bolts to the new WP.

NewandOldWPs.jpg

Notice the 'weep hole' on my old Water Pump – was it leaking…?

Tightened the larger M8 bolts to 14.5 ft/lbs and one small M6 bolt (at this point to hold the WP

while the Shellac sets) to 6 ft/lbs as per the Chilton Manual.

Now comes putting the Camshaft Pulleys back on...

A man fell off a 60 story building...

People at the windows heard him saying,

"So far so good...so far so good!"

.......from "The Magnificent Seven" movie.

So far, it all looks good....

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Now that I have the Water Pump, Thermostat and ByPass Hose installed, I replaced the

back upper cover plate (4 bolts).

I replaced the washer on the Main Crankshaft and the Timing Belt (TB) Sprocket.

The Main Belt Pulley assembly was put back on to rotate the crankshaft by hand

(not difficult) to exactly line up the mark (I had to look at the TB Sprocket from

underneath to get it exact) on the Sprocket with the mark on the Oil Pump Housing.

BTW - I "enhanced" that mark on the Oil Pump Housing with a square file - it was barely visible !

I replaced the R3 and L3 Camshaft Pulleys and when I looked for the Torque Wrench

setting in the Chilton Manual or on 5523Pathfinder's Thread

5523Pathfinder's Timing Belt Thread

I couldn't find a setting ! Lord ! WTF - THOSE TWO BOLTS SHOULD HAVE A TORQUE SETTING !

I'd guess maybe 60 - 70 ft/lbs....(?)

AssemblingPulleysandSprocket.jpg

Edited in on 7-31-09 at 10 PM - found the Torque Settings for the bolts from the 1993 Nissan Manual (below).

Looks like 58 - 65 ft lbs.

TimingBeltDiagram.jpg

Have had visitors, couldn't do much - will resume task tomorrow....

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Awesome write up so far!

I think that your bypass hose has been replaced before, probably when the last timing belt was put in. The hose clamps are not the standard Nissan clamps like I found on mine. I'm talking about the thin dual ring clamps that tend to cut hoses as they age, like mine did. It was a long time before I finally tracked that mysterious leak down...

Relatives gone and the "dog days of summer" are here - 96° F in the shade - unbearable in the sun !

Must wait until about 4 PM to have any shade to work in.

Here is the Nissan Timing Belt - it has three YELLOW lines on it which line up with the Timing

Marks on both Camshaft Pulleys and the Timing Belt Sprocket on the crankshaft.

Nissan Part No. 13028-0B785 on the Box - 13028-0B700 on the belt itself (?)

NissanTB.jpg

Used an 11 mm Box Wrench thru one of the Camshaft Pulley holes and jammed

the pulley against the back cover plate as I torqued the Bolts to 65 ft-lbs.

The Nissan Timing Belt was placed over the CS Pulleys with the markes lines up

and the Belt Label Arrows pointing to the front.

LiningUpTBMarks.jpg

The TB was placed over the Timing Belt Sprocket at the bottom, but the mark on the Belt

doesn't line up exactly due to the belt being loose.

TBandSprocketMarks.jpg

The Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley (TBTP) - Nissan Part No. 13070 - 42L00, was assembled with

the Tensioner Spring - Nissan Part No. 13072 - 0B700 and an attempt was made to insert it....Ha !

NewTensioner.jpg

There is no way that tensioner is going in there without prying the belt over it - which

makes me very, very nervous....don't want to bugger the belt !

Besides, with the Timing Belt being "loose", I figure the TB Sprocket will move clockwise

as I tighten the TB with the tensioner and will not be on the mark...

I have to think about this conundrum.

Maybe if I advance the TB Sprocket one tooth counterclockwise, replace the TB and when

the belt is tightened all will line up.

More to come....

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

There is no way that tensioner is going in there without prying the belt over it - which

makes me very, very nervous....don't want to bugger the belt !

First, remove T-belt from sprockets. Install tensioner. Rotate tensioner clockwise to max (with allen/hex wrench) and temporarily fix it with nut. Install T-belt on sprockets again (it fits tight enough, but don't worry), make sure that all 3 paint lines on belt are aligned with punch marks on sprockets. Loose nut and rotate tensioner counter-clockwise to achieve required belt tension, fix it with nut again. That's all...

You have the tensioner on the wrong way. The straight part of the spring is supposed to be hitting that little stud that is to the right of the tensioner in your picture.

Hey - Terrano1992 - thanks for that information !

I've been trying to force the TB and been getting nowhere !

It is dark out now, so I'll have another go at it tomorrow...

It has been "hotter than the Hinges of Hell" here south of Spokane, WA.

I guess I am just feeling my age because I cannot take the heat - makes me sick.

I got Heat Stroke once many years ago - dangerous.

The heat can kill you before you realize it.

Thanks again !

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

You have the tensioner on the wrong way. The straight part of the spring is supposed to be hitting that little stud that is to the right of the tensioner in your picture.

Yes, Adamzan, I know that - the picture was taken with the Tensioner just sitting there

before I was going to install it.

I was wondering if I had to somehow turn that spring to "wind it up" in some way

so that the Tensioner maintains tension on the TB just by itself (if the nut were to loosen).

This part of the installation is somewhat complicated.

I should have been more observant of how it was set up before I removed it ...

Hint to anyone reading this - for when YOU do it.

I want to write this thread so that all questions are answered - for posterior....

This thread will be read for years to come - so I want it done right.

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Hey - Terrano1992 - thanks for that information !

Don't mention it... You can look at official Factory Service Manual for 1994 Pathfinder. For example, here. Adobe Reader or similar program to open PDF format will be required. Look at pages EM-12..EM-17 for full TB replacement procedure.

Don't mention it... You can look at official Factory Service Manual for 1994 Pathfinder. For example, here.

Adobe Reader or similar program to open PDF format will be required.

Look at pages EM-12..EM-17 for full TB replacement procedure.

Thanks for the Manual Link.

In that Manual (pdf file), on page EM 16, that business with the "Feeler Gauge" makes absolutely no sense to me.

What the Hell does one get from that feeler guage being in between the belt and the tensioner ?

All one is doing is moving the TB with the feeler guage in between - by rotating the Crankshaft Pulley.

A large Popcycle stick or someone's finger would go thru there if you rotate the Crankshaft hard enough !

What is supposed to happen ?

Do words from on high come from the clouds and tell you something ?

Maybe I am just slow....

...and how do you push on the belt with 22 lbs force - a "Special Tool" ?

I like the idea of twisting the belt 90° to test the tension (5523Pathfinder).

"Once you've set the tension and back to TDC, you need to check that belt tension.

Give the belt a twist and it should not go any further than 90 degrees.

Any more than that and it will make noise.

A little less, or tighter, is ok, but it may make noise also.

The closer you get to a half twist the better!"

How to Change Your Timing Belt

...the above quote is in Post #12.

So many people have said so much - my head is spinning. This forum is like a maze.

Does ANYONE "confirm" that Number One Piston is at the top ?

What - a long screwdriver down into the open spark plug hole to see if the Piston is at the top ?

Saw that mentioned by a couple people, also.

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

In that Manual (pdf file), on page EM 16, that business with the "Feeler Gauge" makes absolutely no sense to me.

What the Hell does one get from that feeler guage being in between the belt and the tensioner ?

This "mysterious" feeler gauge purpose has a simple explanation. You set feeler gauge (or any suitable substitute with the same dimensions - flat bar of steel, hard plastic, etc.) between tensioner pulley and belt, then finally tighten a belt. After that, when you remove gauge, belt will be loosen a bit. In other words, this gauge is used to prevent belt overtightening.

...and how do you push on the belt with 22 lbs force - a "Special Tool" ?

I did it with kitchen spring balance... :rolleyes:

I like the idea of twisting the belt 90° to test the tension (5523Pathfinder).

This is a good method if you have some experience.

Does ANYONE "confirm" that Number One Piston is at the top ?

What - a long screwdriver down into the open spark plug hole to see if the Piston is at the top ?

Yes. Check piston position with long screwdriver or other similar thing. Also, you can look at punch marks at camshaft sprockets (align them approximately to punch marks at rear half of t-belt cover).

Thanks Terrano1992, I will use the 90° method and test for TDC with a long stick.

My son is still here visiting from The Coast Guard and it is hot again today - so I brought

in the big Crankshaft Pulley (AKA the "Damper") to enhance the Timing Marks on it.

The marks were 'enhanced' with a small square file so's I can see them better when

the Timing Light is used later on.

EnhancingTimingMarksonDamper.jpg

The Big Damper Pulley is called the damper 'cause it has a big mess of Rubber inside

of it for damping out vibration.... Crvette69 on Auntomotiveforums.com enlightened me

concerning that bit of information. He works on Pathfinders - he knows from what he speaks...!

EnhancedTimingMarks.jpg

You can see the Rubber layer when looking at the back side of the Damper.

DamperBackside.jpg

I took the above photo on the AT Cooler Box to show what Cooler I will use later on.

As per what several of you told me, I put the Tensioner Pulley in place with the coil spring

against the stud on the right.

Turned the Tensioner clockwise with a 5 mm Allen Head 3/8 inch Socket on a cheater bar

so that the Allen Wrench could be held steady - rachets only go one way !

Tightened the Tensioner Nut and placed the Timing Belt over the two Camshaft Pulleys,

then over the Timing Belt Sprocket at the bottom.

The Timing Belt slipped over the Tensioner Pulley with a bit of force, but went on w/o using

anything to pry it ! Nice.

I wonder what the Manufacturer's Quality Assurance ± limits are on these Timing Belt CIRCUMFERENCE's is...?

One Millimeter ?

After centering the TB on all the pulleys, I placed the Allen Wrench in the Tensioner Pulley,

loosened the main nut and rotated the Tensioner to about the 3 O'Clock position.

TighteningTheTensioner.jpg

Tightened the nut, replaced the Main Driveshaft Pulley and rotated the engine CLOCKWISE

by hand until the marks were back in their respective positions.

I used that white stick (Bamboo Shish-Kabob Sticks) to confirm that Piston Number One (closest to me

and farthest on my left) was at the top when the R3 Camshaft Mark was on the money - it was.

I then did the twist test to see if a 90° could be done easily or with difficulty.

Had to loosen the Tensioner twice to get about 85° twist without hurting my fingers

twisting the TB.

I think I will leave it there as shown because I expect the TB to loosen a bit as it ages.

Besides - Don't know how much force to use - I'm a weakie finger Dude anyways...

90DegreeTwistTest.jpg

So I torqued the Tensioner Nut to 38 ft-lbs. The Tensioner Allen Hole is at about the 5 O'Clock position.

5523Pathfinder had set his tensioner Pulley to the 5 O'Clock position...I can't be too wrong !

Some may say I am crazy, but I put a few drops of Instant Glue on the Tensioner Bolt protruding thru

the nut so's it cannot come loose. I also put a few drops around the Camshaft Pulley Bolt Washers

just to be sure they don't move. Pray....

TensionerPosition.jpg

I shall endeavor to persevere...more to come...

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Both the Top and Bottom Outer Cover Plates were cleaned with "Gunk" and hosed off.

In addition, I wiped down each cover with a paper towel to remove more Oily Dirt that

had accumulated on the INSIDE...don't want it to get on the Timing Belt.

The Bottom Cover was installed first. The picture I took helped me to put the right bolts

where they were supposed to go - however, I ran into a Bugger All situation....

The long bolt shown would not even start to thread in ! Like there is no threaded hole

at the bottom of the hole in the water Pump. I even checked with a small phillips head

screwdriver. Strange. I don't think it is important, however. Shown with arrow in picture below.

The Top Cover was next - unscrewed the bolts from the block and installed the cover.

Note - do not tighten any of the bolts until ALL the bolts are in place - you may have to

jiggle the covers to get everything to line up.

TopandBottomCoversOn.jpg

The Rubber section of the Bottom Coolant Hose was set into boiling hot water until it

became pliant and was installed onto the metal pipe

PipetoBottomHose.jpg

- which was then replaced onto the Theromstat Housing.

I used the old clamps even tho some think they cut the rubber with time. Forgot to buy new clamps - let that be a lesson !

BottomHoseIn.jpg

I hope to God none of these Coolant areas leak - can't test them until it is all put back together ! Bugger !

Next comes placing the Crankshaft Pulley (Damper) back on.

THEN comes attaching the Automatic Transmission Cooler to the backside of the Air Conditioner Radiator

and hooking up the hoses.

Tomorrow.

SMART Car - Before

Smart_Car_-_Bef.jpg

SMART Car - After

Smart_Car_-_Aft.jpg

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

The Crankshaft Pulley (Damper) was put back on with the Pin in place

(grease applied to stop rust) and the Bolt threads were cleaned off.

I swabbed out the inner threads with a piece of heavy wire made into

a "rifle barrel" patch type cleaner until no more grease or oil came out

(used paint thinner).

The Bolt was driven in with my Air Hammer at maximum pressure after

Permatex Blue Thread Lock was applied to the threads.

No idea what the Torque was on that bolt (Supposed to be around 95 ft-lbs).

TimingBeltDone.jpg

After that, I figured it is now time to attach the AC Cooler on the inside

of the AC Radiator.

But first - am taking this opportunity to clean said radiator.

It is full of Bug Guts and Grass and Seeds and plain dirt.

Using my Air Gun and Air compressor, I blew out - from the inside -

one Butt Load of dry, powdered, dusty stuff !!!

Then I hosed the Radiator down with Hot Water with a few drops of kitchen

detergent, let it set a few minutes and then blew the crud out from the back

side forward.

Again - a real Butt Load of garbage came out !

I am amazed this Radiator even worked at all !

Must have had terrible heat transfer efficiency.....

Bug Guts, something like grass or cotton fibers, dirt, whatever !

Did it several times and still garbage came out.

I'm going to do this for the Main Radiator, also.

I'll use my garden hose with a high pressure tip that really pushes the water out fast...

Meat Tenderizer sprayed into there might just digest all that dried Bug Protein.

Bug Guts would make a really good glue ! Try cleaning it off your windshield when it is dry!

CleaningACRadiator.jpg

More to come - patience is a virtue !

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

that long bolt should go through the timing cover, through the water pump, through the hole in the gasket and into the block. My guess is that your gasket slipped a bit. You should really try to get this in place as it is one of the bolts that holds your WP in place.