Serious Dilemma

So the cash for clunkers bill has passed and I now have a dilemma. That is, should I sell my beloved pathy? I love the path and everything about it but the truth is, shes aging and quickly. The frame is facing a continuous battle against rust and the engine, though very reliable still, can only last so much longer. It looks as if my parents will trade in the pathfinder and buy a new car with the voucher and give me the cash that the voucher is worth($3500). I just have no clue what I could replace her with. Nothing even comes close. I just need some help. The floor is now yours for suggestions.

-Luke-

Oh did i mention the govt requires all vehicles turned in to be Destroyed. I dont know if I could give it away to such a fate.

Is this only in your state?? I haven't hard about it... $3500 for a clunker?? DAMN!!! I got one they can have for that!!!

It's sad how attached you can get to vehicles, eh? Emotions say not do it. Reality asks how many miles on the truck??

I bought a 95 with under 100k (no rust) for $3300 last year and see ones like it for sale all the time...

You could take the $, do a road trip and have another one you will be able to drive for years.

But, yeah, crushed, that's a harsh fate...

B

Really, If they are just giving you the cash back to you anyways, whats the point? I mean, they will be getting 3500 in credit, then giving you 3500? then you could hypothetically go buy another pathy for 3500....why not save the trouble and keep what you know works......

Or, go buy some junker for 500 bucks or so, have em trade that in, and make 3k!

Personally, The only reason I would do it, is if i KNEW my pathy was about to burn.....and I would grab a bunch of stuff off it before it left for pathy v2!

The vehicle has to have been registered and insured by the owner for at least one year preceding the trade in. There is no $3500 check in the mail. The dealer discounts their inflated price and then the government sends the dealer $3500. The dealer will be allowed to part out all but the engine and transmission and keep the proceeds. It's a very flawed piece of cr@p that only serves as the dealer portion of the auto industry bailout. Most people that can afford to buy a new vehicle are probably driving something worth more than $3500 anyway. Smoke and mirrors gentlemen.

The vehicle has to have been registered and insured by the owner for at least one year preceding the trade in. There is no $3500 check in the mail. The dealer discounts their inflated price and then the government sends the dealer $3500. The dealer will be allowed to part out all but the engine and transmission and keep the proceeds. It's a very flawed piece of cr@p that only serves as the dealer portion of the auto industry bailout. Most people that can afford to buy a new vehicle are probably driving something worth more than $3500 anyway. Smoke and mirrors gentlemen.

Ahh, ok, thanks for outlining that. Now it makes sense, or doesn't make sense that is. Typical...

B

Exactly what he said, the whole thing is an absolute joke. There's also a stipulation about the vehicle's MPG numbers...

Yeah, I totally forgot about the MPG crap.

Cars: New car must get at least 22mpg (weak for new car). $3500 for a +4mpg improvement and $4500 for +10mpg.

Light Truck: New vehicle must get 18mpg. $3500 for +2mpg (seriously!) and $4500 for +5mpg

Full Size Trucks: New one only needs to get 15mpg. $3500 for +1mpg and +$4500 for +2mpg

Those numbers make this whole thing seem that much more retarded.

Yeah, I totally forgot about the MPG crap.

Cars: New car must get at least 22mpg (weak for new car). $3500 for a +4mpg improvement and $4500 for +10mpg.

Light Truck: New vehicle must get 18mpg. $3500 for +2mpg (seriously!) and $4500 for +5mpg

Full Size Trucks: New one only needs to get 15mpg. $3500 for +1mpg and +$4500 for +2mpg

Those numbers make this whole thing seem that much more retarded.

And best yet, those numbers are a little flawed because the same car model can vary in MPG depending on what specific thing the manufacturer may have done. Like an '89-'90 Pathfinder, worth about the same but because the one year newer Pathfinder has a different injection system, you get more money out of the older one because it gets worse EPA mileage.

Its actually not that complicated or flawed. If you have an old car you turn it in and if the new car you buy gets like 2 or 3 mpg more than the one you turn in you get a 3500 credit. Who cares what the dealer makes off it. I supose the whole point was, the pathy will never sell for over 1500 even tho its blue book value is over 2500. I may try and find a better path. Maybe add a some $ to the 3500 from my parents. How are the newer pathfinders. 2000+? Some interiors look dam luxurious. Do they kick a** off road like mine?

Personally, Ive thought about the pathy replacement for a long time now.....

Really, since I plan on doing offroad for a little in the future, I probably won't upgrade to a newer pathy (and ma's version of upgrade isn't a wd21) so i'll probably be going with an xterra...they kept the frame/body setup...and theres lots of parts out there for them.....

The only other option I would really replace my wd21 with, is a frontier or titan.....but I personally dislike unibodies in general...

I may try and find a better path. Maybe add a some $ to the 3500 from my parents. How are the newer pathfinders. 2000+? Some interiors look dam luxurious. Do they kick a** off road like mine?

Why do you assume the newer are better? Yes, more luxurious and more power. As good off road? Probably not... I'm not sure what you want anymore... :shrug:

B

Xterra Shmexterra.

Any Pathfinder built before MY 2005 will get you in and out of any mess you can reasonably throw at it. Unless you are planning competition Baja 1000 stuff, take advantage of the crummy market for used Pathy's and peoples' prejudices/biases about Pathys/unibody/frames/IFS/whatever and get one in excellent condition. As for aftermarket parts, yeah, sure there's more stuff overall for the Xterra. But anything you really need for wheeling - lifts, front & rear lockers, winches and the like - are all available for the Pathfinder. Sure, you can try to body lift the Xterra. Your frame and rear diff won't care - they're still gonna get smacked around BL or no BL. Any money you save by getting a Pathy can go towards mods.

I agree with OldSlowReliable. Not sure I understand why your parents would trade in the Pathfinder and then give you the money... In effect, they are paying you $3500 to get rid of the Pathy. Do they think it's unsafe or something ?

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now. It's been a long day... :)

Xterra Shmexterra.

Any Pathfinder built before MY 2005 will get you in and out of any mess you can reasonably throw at it. Unless you are planning competition Baja 1000 stuff, take advantage of the crummy market for used Pathy's and peoples' prejudices/biases about Pathys/unibody/frames/IFS/whatever and get one in excellent condition. As for aftermarket parts, yeah, sure there's more stuff overall for the Xterra. But anything you really need for wheeling - lifts, front & rear lockers, winches and the like - are all available for the Pathfinder. Sure, you can try to body lift the Xterra. Your frame and rear diff won't care - they're still gonna get smacked around BL or no BL. Any money you save by getting a Pathy can go towards mods.

I agree with OldSlowReliable. Not sure I understand why your parents would trade in the Pathfinder and then give you the money... In effect, they are paying you $3500 to get rid of the Pathy. Do they think it's unsafe or something ?

Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now. It's been a long day... :)

Im really not a fan of the body style of newer pathies, I could live with a 96-99 body style, but in the end, if I'm going to buy a new vehicle, my pathy will have to be out of service, and I will want something 2000 or newer, and I don't like the 2000+ pathies, the body style went pure luxury.....Ive driven quite a few xterras for some people (they don't know how to drive a stick....need minor maintenance.....don't trust themselves to get it through something on the farm in order to get it to the garage...need it transported) and I kidna like the way they drive, it doesn't seem so bulky like alot of newer cars do..it kept the 'open air' feel of the older cars, thinner A pillars and such.....still rather simplistic interior design....

Idk, just my personal preff.....I don't like unibodies in general, it just kinda worries me when I don't have a full frame, reminds me of driving a car thats airborne...

On another note, I think I shouldn't have named myself with such a name, it seems hard for people to quote, i.e. OldSlowReliable said... versus something like Mik said....hmmm, something to ponder O_O

Edited by OldSlowReliable

No worries. I just get all defensive about unibodies and R50s. :lol:

The name fits the truck. But yeah, not very catchy for a person... :)

Lol, I mostly dislike how sensitive unibodies are...they rely on the doors and such for support against warping O_O....your basically in an egg going over a pile of rocks.....

Hmm......i need a better nickname than OSR...that sounds like an std......

Why do you assume the newer are better? Yes, more luxurious and more power. As good off road? Probably not... I'm not sure what you want anymore... :shrug:

B

The reason I started this thread was because I dont know what i want and am looking for some outside opinions. I never assumed the newer ones were better just asked the question.

My parents arent making me trade in the pathfinder but like i said, 3500 is way more than I could ever get for it so why not. It looks like the general opinion is just get another old pathy. Only thing about that is I havnt been able to find one with under 140k miles, least not within 500 miles of here. Guess I just gotta keep looking.

I guess I didn't say that right... Depends if you want an 'exact' replacement or newer and nicer. If you plan to off road it much or not, etc...

You probably should look in the sunbelt areas; the selection is greater and most likely not rusted out. Fly out, buy and drive home...

Here are some examples. Not the best I have seen, but still...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1248746369.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/1245760138.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1241976684.html

This looks very promising!!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1245384644.html

You get the point...

B

There is a similar program here in sometimes smoggy "beautiful" British Columbia. Later models pollute less on a per distance basis.

The provincial government will pay upto $2,500 to have the older vehicle scrapped. Details are available here: BC Scrap-it program. Cash can go to a new, less polluting vehicle or a bus pass or a bicycle.

I ran the simulation to see what kind of rebate I would get if I sold the '93 pathfinder and bought a 2005 Xterra. $0.00.

----------------------------------------------------------

None of these feel-good program will have the same impact as high excise (green) taxes on diesel and gasoline.

BTW, my caribou shoulders tell me that fuel prices should decline and stay low for the next few years thanks to a highly synchronized global recession. Now is probably a good time to buy gas-guzzling 4X4s.

We thought hard about buying a recent-vintage Xterra last summer but figured that keeping the '93 pathfinder for a few more years would be the cost-effective solution. One of these days there will be a better selection of modern diesel-powered 4X4 SUVs to choose from.

Edited by westslope

LOL Actually, so would I if the red one was parted out and towed away already. No biggie, I see ones like that every month or two. That's what I was trying to point out...

B