Brake Controller Wiring

johnm

OK, I did a search for this. Found lots of info on towing but the couple of links to wiring pictures were broken.

Did the R50s come with a factory wiring harness for brake controller installation? Or maybe only with factory tow package?

If not, it's no big deal, I can just wire it on it's own circuit, but here's why I ask. The owners manual recommends using trailer brakes for towing over 1000 pounds with the 99 SE Auto, so I thought maybe Nissan built it in, if they are recommending it. Anyway, I have an enclosed trailer for my motorcycle that with the bike inside weighs about 1800 pounds. The trailer has brakes, so I'd like my Pathy to be able to be hooked up with 'em.

As an aside: If you want to talk towing adventure, I pulled the trailer with the bike and about 600 pounds of tools and other stuff from WA to AL with a 03 Crown Vic cop car. That's a 4800 pound car towing a 2400 pound trailer. Max tow on the car was 2500 pounds and I believe it. The mountains from CA across AZ, NM, TX on I-40 were interesting. Got here safe and sound, no accidents, no incidents, no trouble. Not so much as an overheated brake. And with my GSD in the back seat, I got a lot of strange looks but noone bothered us.

Edited by johnm

When I was looking for wiring just for trailer lights, I did not see any harness so my guess is no, there is no harness for trailer brakes. But someone who knows better and maybe has a wiring diagram for your year can help better.

johnm, i've pulled many trailers many times (from a pop-up camper to loaded flatbeds to enclosed trailers to jetskis and another Pathfinder on a dolly) with my VG Pathy. the 170hp left you a bit wanting on the hills and freeway on-ramps, but it stopped it just fine with no trailer brakes; and it was very stable if you kept it within reasonable speeds for the load/wind/road condition.

nissandoms is right about the trailer brakes making it much easier and safer, but it all depends on how badly you want to go through the trouble of custom rigging it to your vehicle. i'd venture to say that an 1800lb trailer is a lightweight that i'd feel safe to pull in even a mid-size sedan.

Edited by Pezzy
removed jabs @ another member

When I took my hitch off, I think there was a wiring harness built in behind the taillight. Passenger side. It was meant to allow you to hook up the 7-pin adapter. You may have to root about a bit to see if yours has one too. Try looking both directly and via the panels that pop off. All those trim pieces can be popped off carefully with a screwdriver.

I'll see if I can find something in my service manual or owner's manual. BTW, if you don't have one and plan to work on your Pathfinder, a Service Manual is an invaluable tool. $20 online for a pdf.

I'm going to put this out there, with the caveat that this is my opinion. I'm not saying this is what anyone else should do, that it's legal, or in any other way mandatory.

I've done a lot of towing, with a lot of different vehicles and trailers. Pickups, vans, cars, and different military vehicles. I've towed in town, in traffic, interstates, local roads, 2 lane, 4 lane, off road, in the mountains and the flat. I even backed trailers up ramps into airplanes a few times. These are the rules of thumb I've developed through hard experience.

* Trailers over 1000 pounds, brakes may be needed depending on where you are, # of axles, and trailer size: check state and federal laws

* Towing 10-25% of vehicle curb weight (VCW), no brakes is OK.

* >25% of VCG, get them trailer brakes, electric, hydraulic, air, surge, whatever is there, get 'em and hook 'em up.

* Don't tow more than 50% of VCG unless the vehicle was designed for towing (i.e. factory installed towing options, like trans cooler, HD brakes, air cleaner, etc.)

* Don't exceed tow vehicle gross weight rating or gross combined rating (if it has one).

For my pathfinder w/o factory tow pkg, with a curb weight around 3800 pounds, that would mean around a 1000 pounds, I'm looking for trailer brakes, and would hesitate to tow more than 2000. Admittedly, these rules of thumb are conservative. And again, I'm not saying anyone else has to follow them. I like to control my risk levels, so wiring and brake controller is worth my trouble.

And a factory wiring pigtail would make my life easier, so I asked. I will get a service manual for myself, I just don't have one yet.

Edited by johnm

Better safe than sorry. I know 2 people that tow at least 1500lbs with their pickups. And this is a relatively flat area. They said they wouldn't even think about towing without them. One is a landscaper I worked for the and the other is a farmer.

I've repeatedly towed 4,000lb trailers with my 99 SE Pathfinder. They're rated to tow 5,000lbs. I've exceeded GCWR on a couple of occasions with no drama.

Every time I towed more than a significant amount of weight, it was with a twin-axle trailer, with surge brakes. Go ahead and tow as much as you want.

There is no brake controller circuit pre-wired into the R50 Pathfinder. I wouldn't worry about a brake controller. Just get surge brakes, and you'll be fine.

since you guys can't stay on topic nor behave.. i'm closing this til further notice.

thanks

The cat fight has been hidden or edited.

A few reminders:

Please keep threads on topic.

Please respect other people's threads and posts.

Please refrain from harassing other members.

Do not litter the board with the SFD drama. We have a thread for that.

Thank you.