Mean Green Alternator Question

Astroc2002

I plan getting a 180 Amp Mean Green Alternator when I upgrade to an electric fan and KC Hi-Lites. Need to know if I go with a 180 Amp Alternator it won't fry the wiring or electronics. Better ask than be stuck with a crispy Pathfinder. :crossedwires:

Your alternator, is not going to fry anything. It is rated at 180 amps. This means it will be able to supply up to 180 amps to any circuit that draws tha many amps.

It only puts out the std 13.8 volts.

You will most likely be only drawing 30ish amps from your fan and lights so that is all the alternator will be supplying.

I have a stock std 70 amp alty on my TD27 and it is more than enough to supply charge to 2 batteries as well as the winch and 5 driving lights. I draw with calculations, 43 amps with the driving lights alone so there is sufficient amperage left over to charge batteries etc.

I would not use the winch with the lighting running all the same. I have run this scenario through with my local auto sparky and he has no issues with what im doing.

Your alternator, is not going to fry anything. It is rated at 180 amps. This means it will be able to supply up to 180 amps to any circuit that draws tha many amps.

It only puts out the std 13.8 volts.

You will most likely be only drawing 30ish amps from your fan and lights so that is all the alternator will be supplying.

I have a stock std 70 amp alty on my TD27 and it is more than enough to supply charge to 2 batteries as well as the winch and 5 driving lights. I draw with calculations, 43 amps with the driving lights alone so there is sufficient amperage left over to charge batteries etc.

I would not use the winch with the lighting running all the same. I have run this scenario through with my local auto sparky and he has no issues with what im doing.

Thats interesting. I wonder if thatll wear your alty down quicker?

Thats interesting. I wonder if thatll wear your alty down quicker?

No, the alternator runs all the time, It does not switch on and off like an air con pump does.

No, the alternator runs all the time, It does not switch on and off like an air con pump does.

Yep, it's pull varies depending on what is needed, but it is always turning. If anything would wear quicker it would be belts, but even that is just marginally more if any.

So would it be safe to drop in a Mean Green 180 Amp Alternator to compensate the additional power needed for running accessories? Because right now when ever I turn on the headlights the RPM's drop from 1k to 800 when idling in park. :shrug::scratchhead:

i met a guy in my town with a few aux lights on his 87 and he said he needed a new alt. something about all the lights being to much for the stock one and he wore it out really fast. he said he got one off a newer nissan minivan lol, so it could be a good idea to get a new one apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my stock fan with the taurus fan that draws about 30 amps and i have a dual battery system and about an 800 watt sound system, all this equaled dead alty. I up graded to the 120 amp quest alty and still had electrical problems. The problem was coming from a fusible link right at the positive terminal on the battery. This fusible link is part of the charge system for the battery and also supplies the power to the truck. This wire is not capable of handling the much higher amperage loads and eventually failed. It over heats and stops conducting properly and the alty then stops supplying power at all and all you have is battery power. I believe that the ECU might detect this fault, not for sure. The solution is simple, run a much beefier wire, like 2-4 gauge, from the alty to the positive battery terminal. Ever since i did this i have had no trouble powering anything.

i met a guy in my town with a few aux lights on his 87 and he said he needed a new alt. something about all the lights being to much for the stock one and he wore it out really fast. he said he got one off a newer nissan minivan lol, so it could be a good idea to get a new one apparently.

Quest and Maxima alts are common upgrades for us. The Maxima is a 90amp (IIRC) and just needs the pully swapped. The Quest is 110-130 amp (different years, different output) and needs more elaborate reworking to install properly on our trucks (a mount ground down, new adjuster, pully swap with spacers....).