Cruise control

adamzan

Hey guys, my cruise on my 95 hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I drive all highway and it'd be nice to have. I've looked at all the usual suspects, like the brake switch, and steering wheel contacts. They are all good. I've also changed the cruise computer in the rear of the truck, the actuator pump under the hood, the relay under the hood, and even put a brand new steering wheel assembly on. The other parts were all known working off another pathfinder. I've also cleaned up the grounds under the hood.

What happens is, I'll turn on the master switch, hear the relay click, and then when go to press set I get nothing.

Any Ideas? Everything else works but this. I also looked for a fuse but couldn't find any blown ones. :thumbsdown:

TIA

Edited by adamzan

I have nothing. I checked that little hose that goes from the actuator/pump to the round black thing that the throttle wire goes into and it was good. Even replaced it just in case. I took the actuator pump out of my 93, that I KNOW the cruise worked in, and still nada.

You know that little cruise light on the dash? That doesn't even come on when you press set. The actuator pump doesn't turn on. I know the light works, it will come on blinking if you hold the master switch on and the set button at the same time. And sadly, that doesn't make the cruise work either.

Thanks for the opinions though.

Sounds like electrical to me. Get yourself a multimeter and verify that the set button is actually making continuity, and if that is good, check the wires.

Does the cruise light come on when you flip the ON switch? There should be a light for when the system is on, and then another light for when you have it set.

Sounds like electrical to me. Get yourself a multimeter and verify that the set button is actually making continuity, and if that is good, check the wires.

Does the cruise light come on when you flip the ON switch? There should be a light for when the system is on, and then another light for when you have it set.

The set button is making continuity, checked that yesterday. Yes the light comes on when i flick the on switch. The one for when it's set does not come on.

• 1 month later...
The set button is making continuity, checked that yesterday. Yes the light comes on when i flick the on switch. The one for when it's set does not come on.

theres a seperate light for when it's on and set? mine just has the green light for when i push it on and doesn't change when i set it....i rarely use mine but sometimes it's fun to see how far i can drive without pushing gas or brake

theres a seperate light for when it's on and set? mine just has the green light for when i push it on and doesn't change when i set it....i rarely use mine but sometimes it's fun to see how far i can drive without pushing gas or brake

Yes, there is a light top center of the dash that should come on when the cruise is engaged that says 'Cruise' in green. It flashed rapidly if there is an error setting the cruise.

Get a broom handle and cut it to length to stick between the seat and gas pedal(I joke but have seen people do this unfortunatly and wonder why they wrecked...). Mine quit working righ tafter my BL, thinkign I ripped something off...

It's really starting to bother me that it's not working, because every time I drive this thing, when not going to school, it's always highway.

It's weird, everything seems to be all hooked up right, the steering wheel controls are making contact and all that, the brake switch is working, the actuator tests good, the computer i swapped from a known working one in another 95, still no go. Also replaced the blue relay on the passenger side and it clicks when you turn the main switch on but the damn cruise won't set.

Should I just bring it to a mechanic? (don't really want to)

• 1 month later...

Ok, after studying the FSM in detail I believe there is another relay that has to do with the "ASCD" (cruise) circuit. I am going to change them from my other 95 that has working cruise and see what happens. I really hope this fixes this piece of crap.

Maybe I can suggest you check something. Right on brake pedal there are two switches on top and two plastic pieces in front of them.

If one of the black plastic pieces is missing, that's the cause. I took pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

DSCN5903.jpg

check to see if you have both of these plastic parts near the switches.

If the one for the cruse is missing, you can turn on the cruise but you can't set it.

DSCN5902.jpg

Hope that's it

my cruise control stopped working around the same time my horn stopped working. I dont know whats goin on but it sure would be nice to have both back.

find my post on a jerry rig for that...its your contacts have worn down... my cruise went...then my horn went...i started inspecting it and realized that the power for cruise and the horn are all powered through the horn contact...i put some spacer washers in for my quick and easy fix...it hasn't stopped working and its been over 2 years

Edited by unccpathfinder

Maybe I can suggest you check something. Right on brake pedal there are two switches on top and two plastic pieces in front of them.

If one of the black plastic pieces is missing, that's the cause. I took pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

DSCN5903.jpg

check to see if you have both of these plastic parts near the switches.

If the one for the cruse is missing, you can turn on the cruise but you can't set it.

DSCN5902.jpg

Hope that's it

thanks, I just ran out and checked it out and was going to slap my self if that was it. But DAMMIT, both plastic pieces are there :(

• 2 months later...

Just to let everyone know, I have solved the issue finally!

The switch that cancels the cruise failed. I removed the plug and tested the switch for continuity...There was none. So I jumped the plug with a piece of wire. Took her for a drive down an empty road and voila, cruise! I feel so dumb for not checking it before...But whatever.

Also, when I went to cancel it I hit the brakes out of habit, and it cancelled! According to the wiring diagram, the brake light switch sends a signal to the cruise computer as a failsafe shut off. I'm gonna get a new switch but at least it works for now. But the vacuum hose must have a leak because the speed slooowly creeps down.