20 mpg in a 4x4 Pathy?

I have a 96 4x4 with 166k miles. It is stock except for the 31x10.5x15 tires. This winter I was seeing as low as 11-13 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. This spring I had the timing belt, water pump, and all drive belts changed. My driving leans to 70% highway/30% city and I use cruise control a lot at about 55-60 mph. I've also gone to using Shell gasoline exclusively for what it's worth. I have been averaging 18-18.5 mpg lately and got 19.5 this weekend on a trip into the Ozarks, which was all highway with a lot of hills. That was also with 5 guys, our camping gear for the weekend, and a kayak strapped to the top. My reason for this post was to see just how many others experience this kind of mileage and also to let folks know that some improved driving habits and maintainence can make a world of difference in fuel economy. Now I'm just waiting for cold weather again to burst my bubble. LOL

Yes. It most definitely is. My old rig, I was able to consistently achieve 20.7mpg commuting to work. 90/10 highway/city ratio. 32x11.50 Tires, 3" lift, TJM bumper, huge safari rack, ARB Snorkel, 4 lights on the roof, warn manual hubs. I'm sure that without all of the extra drag it would have been a lot more. Oh, and that was with 165-180k miles, poor maintenance and a crap alignment.

My peak was 23.6mpg on a single tank, once. I was able to achieve 17.5mpg towing a 3500lb trailer from Rochester, NY to DC, though. That was pretty impressive.

But....I'm liking my 37mpg Integra right now...:D

i easily get 19 but if push i can get 20 on the highway, but maybe its because i have the stick. But the best i've seen was 21 highway with my pathy. and now with the intake just installed, im hoping to keep on seeing 21 on the highway.

Edited by LovemyPathfinder

Yes. It most definitely is. My old rig, I was able to consistently achieve 20.7mpg commuting to work. 90/10 highway/city ratio. 32x11.50 Tires, 3" lift, TJM bumper, huge safari rack, ARB Snorkel, 4 lights on the roof, warn manual hubs. I'm sure that without all of the extra drag it would have been a lot more. Oh, and that was with 165-180k miles, poor maintenance and a crap alignment.

My peak was 23.6mpg on a single tank, once. I was able to achieve 17.5mpg towing a 3500lb trailer from Rochester, NY to DC, though. That was pretty impressive.

But....I'm liking my 37mpg Integra right now...:D

woah!!! u must be a right laner with the priuses.

I usually get over 20 on the highway. This is with around 172k miles, a clean K&N drop in, fully leak free exhaust, 31x10.5 tires (usually), and going around 105-110km/h. My cruise doesn't even work right now (steering wheel switch is messed up). My best was 23, that is usually when I'm going on a trip that will use most of the tank on the way there. I try to bring my own food so I only have to stop for the washroom and tim hortons.

By the way you can get better mileage if you go down steep hills really fast, then just coast.

Edited by adamzan

Bad g-milage in my pathy,winter(9-15)summer19-21mpg...lets look at some other cars now...

1976 GMC K20,37 tsl,454,th400(4mpg,never changed in winter or summer...4 freaking mpg)

1991 chevy camaro,305,th700r4(worse I ever got was 20 when I first got my licence and flew around burning up my new Dougles touring tires,racing talons)Now average25-31 80mph is 25mpg 55-60 is 31.

1978 jeep J-10,301 ,three speed on the floor,(like I dont know the mpg but its NOT good,1/4-1/2 a tank in half hour of wheeling,and its not fast like the mud truck

Edited by nismothunder

IF i get under 12mpg in the pathy I start looking for problems. best I had was 20 somethin, I reset the trip l8 so I don't know the exact but prolly just over 20. carrying 3 ppl a dog, luggage and more stuff on the roof from tacoma, wa to san-fran I avg'd 18.5

I get 13 in 20mph zones arround home and 14-17 mixed with everything else.

I ave. about 17. mostly city "style". Most I got was 21mpg. That was doing 90 mph on I-95. Worst I got was 13mpg. Still don;t know why it was so low, since I didn't have any load. Was just me...

Winter I'm averaging ~18mpg, now that it's warm out again I'm getting ~21mpg. At this point in time, it's all city driving so I'm happy with how far I can stretch a tank.

~35mpg with a turbo diesel would be a LOT nicer though... Take that 'Teg gods. :lol:

My 97 got 22-23 with 31's through hilly MD and VA on the highway, 14-15 in the cities and 18-19 with in a 70/30 highway bias.

My 01 gets 20-21 with 31's, 17 in the city, and pretty much 18.5 every time for my routine highway mix.

Question. How can we make it better? I know an intake will help (got that). Some Manual hubs can help (every bit helps). Tires if you want to downsize (maybe 2 sets of wheels?). Will changing to a lighter weight oil help? Maybe full synthetic (so its not caking on the crank and letting it spin more freely). if you want to go hard, we could retard timing (or will advancing help more?) and go all out with a stand alone and lean it out more...hmm....maybe a new MAF?

Of course routine maintenace will help keep your R50 running well and thus maintain consistent and favourable fuel economy.

Manual hubs and intake will also help. Replacing broken/malfunctioning sensors will evidently help, too. If everything is running as it should and your mileage is crap, a diagnostic will often help clarify any electronic issues.

Tires are also a huge factor for gas mileage. What size and type you run will affect fuel economy, too.

Question. How can we make it better? I know an intake will help (got that). Some Manual hubs can help (every bit helps). Tires if you want to downsize (maybe 2 sets of wheels?). Will changing to a lighter weight oil help? Maybe full synthetic (so its not caking on the crank and letting it spin more freely). if you want to go hard, we could retard timing (or will advancing help more?) and go all out with a stand alone and lean it out more...hmm....maybe a new MAF?

advancing in like 2 degree incriments (ignition timing) should provide a difference...read your Haynes manual to do this properly.

I've got a heavy foot and I live in BC where flat land is considered endangered and is federally protected.

I choose not to measure my mileage in order to maintain my own sanity.

17 hwy (under 80)

16 hwy (over 80)

A/C has never made a difference on the highway

15 city (no A/C)

14 city (w/ A/C)

13 city (w/ A/C over 110 degrees)

I once got 20 mpg going downhill from Flagstaff (7k ft) with no A/C with a tank full of branded, pure, non-smog area 87 octane.

Oh the things I keep track of on my truck...

Over 15 ? Over 20 ?

What the heck are you guys doing ? Getting out and pushing it uphill half the time ??? If I get over 16 I consider it a good day. "Fuel economy" is a gigantic oxymoron when it comes to my Pathfinder.

Edited by GoPathyGo

...i get mixed up here, reading... there is a difference between automatic and manual transmissions... auto will go 2500rpm ( with over drive )at 100km and manual will go, in 5th for 91 to 95 models up to 3000 rpm (there is no over drive )...i do not know for later models, but it seems to me that it is an important factor on a long run... not to mention the difference between american gallons and canadian gallon...

... just to mention by analogy, i use to work on ships...one of them was built in two different places... so that ship ended up with a bow built on american standards (imperial mesures) and the rest of the ship, with canadian standards (metric mesures)...the ship had to be "ajusted"...just about 3 inches... to be completed...imagine the calculation of its "displacement" in water... loaded or unloaded in salt water or in soft water ? they should have built a bathtube...just for exercise...

...Acuracy in science remains as long as we can define the parameters...and the same for everyone...meanwhile...

Edited by Pinip

I check on a regualr basis - I average 15 MPG, mostly flat AZ highway (70-75 average) I'd say around 70/30 split. I know it goes up if I stay around 55-60, but then I'd get run over. Limits 65 anyway. I've been using premium gas.

Feel like a few years ago I used to be better milage. Everyone always says it's fine and 15 is about what to expect. Hmmm...

I think I get around 14-15 mpg avg, but that's really inefficient driving. When I'm driving efficiently, I get around 18-19 average with an 90/10 highway/city split. It might be a little higher since I'm not sure if I'm supposed to adjust the mpg with just 31x10.50s.