1995 XE V6 Reverse problems

Guest C_2g

My Pathfinder has about 173k on it and my automatic tranny started acting up yesterday. I noticed when I put it in reverse it kind of shuddered as it would engage into reverse. Now today the engine rpm changes as it goes into reverse but it wont move. When I put it into drive, it goes in normally and drives fine.

I checked the fluid on the stick and it is not burned and there is no foul smell. I recently put in a bottle of Lucas trans additive. I think thats when my problems started.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

C_2g

just a thought ... to at least eliminate any easy problems ... if there are any obstructions to the linkage that could be causing your problem ... you may just wanna have a quick look underthere to be sure there isn't something sticking in there like a stick or rock ... just a thought ...

Go to the garage section and read the sectionon tranny diagnosis. See if that can help you.

However I have been told by many many owners that once the reverse dies then within a couple of days the whole tranny goes. I would like someone to tell me what goes in the tranny. No one has reported the actual repair required. You can get a rebuilt tranny for about $1600. The problem is putting it in. you have to REMOVE THE TORSION bars. Also most of the cross bracing for the frame and of course the drive shafts. Then the thing weighs close to 300 pounds with the transfer case attached. Labor is high.

Good luck.

We have 2 Pathfinders with intermittent reverse. One has 175,000 and the other has 135,000. The one with 135,000 has been running for about a year now and the one with 175,000 has been running for about 5 with this problem. Since a couple grand is more than I want to spend, I figure I'll let it go until the car dies. The tranny doesn't shift into reverse all the time...just kind of when it wants to. I usually keep going from D to P to R over and over and within 30 seconds (or doing that about 6 times) it will engage. Your problem, obviously, could be different, but I'm just saying you could save yourself some money if you can deal with not getting yourself into situtations where R is life or death. Anyway, just a quick rambling to say they can last without reverse, assuming your problem isn't something worse than what is wrong with my 2 pathys.

Thank you for all of your comments/suggestions. I was browsing another forum and I came across a thread where they mentioned that sometimes one or more of the 5 solenoids that are in the tranny fails and needs to be replaced. Are any of you familiar with these solenoids? If so, what is the degree of difficulty in gaining access to them?

Thanks

C_2g