Slight Oil Leak

Tungsten

After driving my truck for a few miles, I have noticed a small oil leak coming from under the pan area. I don't know what it is yet but it looks like engine oil. Is this a common problem somewhere? Any thoughts before I go to the shop?

well this morning i found out that i am loosing brake fluid and the rear right disk is slightly squealing when the brake pedal is half way down

could it be the brake master cylinder????

to check to see if its the master cylinder look at the base of the MC right at the brake booster and if there is fluid coming out right there (location of the weep hole) then yes the MC is bad. check the rear pads for wear but Idont think low fluid would make them squeak

as for the initial leak mentioned try and follow the trail of fluid to the original location...it may be beneficial to clean it all off and look for fresh oil. Some of the common leaks are the valve cover gaskets. If not then it could be the pan itself, oil pres sending unit, RMS or the FMS

Upon a closer examination, the oil leak was coming from the bottom of the transmission where it is connected to the engine. I wiped the area with a rag to check it out and it appears that it could be coming from the drain plug. Could it be the drain plug? After cleaning the area out, starting the engine and driving in a circle, there is no more leak. If it comes back I am suspecting that when the oil was changed the drain plug was not torqued correctly. The manual specifies the tightening torque to be 22 to 29 ft-lb. on the drain plug.

As for brakes, nothing is leaking right now but when I topped off the container to the max level with DOT 3 brake fluid the BRAKE light on the dashboard came on (my handbrake is down). I will do some more observations on that but I am sure it could be the Master Cylinder. The MC was replaced around 2 years ago and I am suspecting that the replacement part could be crap. I could not find any weep holes on there but there is a probe inserted below the fluid container. Could that be the weep hole probe or something?

Thanks B

I could not find any weep holes on there but there is a probe inserted below the fluid container. Could that be the weep hole probe or something?

This is actually a reed switch, I bet the float is stuck, will give a few whacks on the container...

• 2 months later...

arghf the crossmember is still getting soaked in oil

someone plz tell me its not the oil pump seal like on doctorbills

i had the timing belt done and the cam seals replaced already

:(

also, new master cyl for brakes and new drain plug

i swear its turning into a ford

i wanna go blow something up now

Edited by Tungsten

i'm thinking oil pan gasket

it only leaks when i'm standing still, there is no oil trail behind me or anything like that

the oil pan and the crossmember is wet with oil i don't see anything else

will check the bottom of my timing cover soon just to be sure (it better not be the oil pump gasket :headwall: )

it only leaks when i'm standing still, there is no oil trail behind me or anything like that

will check the bottom of my timing cover soon just to be sure (it better not be the oil pump gasket :headwall: )

I had a leak from the oil pan gasket. I thought it was the rms, but my guess was the rubber gasket got pinched when the 2nd clutch was installed.

Edited by jgt

Have you tried tightening the oil pan bolts? The torque is light (something like 8-12 ft/lbs or something), I'l have to look it up for you. My auto tranny pan was weeping when I bought it, spent 10 minutes with a 1/4" drive 10mm socket and problem solved.

B

If the leak appears to be coming from the bottom of the tranny on the engine side I would say it's a rear main seal. That has been a consistent oil weeper on all of the Nissan D21/WD21s that I have replaced clutches on. It can probably wait until you need a clutch unless it's leaking profusely. The leak can shorten the life of the clutch though.

• 2 weeks later...