A headlight problem

My passenger side headlight will not go off. I have absolutely no idea when this started, but I noticed it when I got off work today. It is on when the truck is running, and when it is off with the key in my hand. I have never noticed it doing this before at anytime and am really stumped as to why it has started now. Is this a daytime running light, and if so, why has it waited this long to work, and why won't it stop? All help is appreciated, as I need to get this fixed asap. I don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect my headlight as the sun rises and sets. Thanks guys.

• 3 years later...

this happened with my 95 pathfinder last night, messed with the headlight plug and its been all good since, it was out and i switched the bulb with my parts truck and it stayed on im glad im not the only one with the issue

Stock trucks have no headlight relays, and even with a custom harness there's one relay for highs and one for lows, so both would be on.

Does sound like the switch contacts are buggered. It's pretty easy to take apart and clean out. If your truck has a DRL module, it's behind the battery and the side of the engine bay. Unless your truck was sold in Canada, however, it'll just have holes there with nothing mounted to them.

Here's the inside of the headlight switch with the contacts labelled. Either the little pads have somehow welded together (are you running crazy high wattage bulbs?) or something's broken in the switch that's holding one down. Usually these fail so that one headlight doesn't work, so this is a little unusual.

P1010001-12.jpg