'87 VG30i PF almost overheating

Do you have heat from the heater when it overheats?

One of your hoses could be collapsing, cutting off all coolant circulation.

If it's blowing out hot air like normal, never mind.

Edited by Kingman

This thing has always been v-e-r-y slow to heat during the winter. Although I have driven it 24 hours roundtrip and had no overheating troubles until now. Think they might be related?

Mine was very slow to heat in the winter and I had the water pump replaced and it fixed it.

And no the guy didnt replace the thermostate...that displeased me very much

Edited by nismothunder

Nismothunder: had the radiator flushed and filled for the first round of repairs. Coolant mixture should be good.

Kind of leaning towards replacing water pump and thermostat as the radiator will be out anyway....

Nismothunder: had the radiator flushed and filled for the first round of repairs. Coolant mixture should be good.

Kind of leaning towards replacing water pump and thermostat as the radiator will be out anyway....

Throw a new Timing Belt on while your at it. Even if the current one is not that old. They don't cost much ($18-$25) and any coolant that spills on the existing one could cause early failure.

I'd hate to see you figure this out, only to have the belt snap 5k later!

Resolved! It was the radiator. Bought a new one, had it swapped out in an hour and flogged it through the hills today. Needle stayed where it should as did the coolant level. Thanks again for all the help.