What would you do?

Okay so here's the scenario. You have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE (very good condition, just over 100K) and $5000 to spend on upgrades. What mods/upgrades would you do? Thanks.

1) Suspension upgrade: 2" OME coils, OME front struts, Bilsten 5100 rear shocks.

2) Rollers: Some nice wheels (size is your preference) and some beefy Toyo MT's.

3) Warn Manual Hubs

4) ARB air lockers and air compressor

5) Armor!

The rest I'd say is up to you. Have at 'er!! :aok:

I'd go over it mechanically first. Things like the bushings may be starting to go which will affect your ride quality and handling. I'd replace those with the poly ones from AC. I'd also just generally make sure it's sound, that the tbelt was done as most vehicles require it around 100k (can't remember exactly what mileage a pathy needs it at). Doing the tbelt generally means doing the waterpump too. Then brakes, stock suspension, etc etc.

If it's been well maintained and doesn't need any serious work then I'd look at the same things that tekazgtr said, just in a different order. I'd go wheels, armour, susp lift, manual hubs, and then if you've still got money the lockers since they cost about the same as a small bus full of children.

Point is I've owned my truck for about a year and a half and it's still mostly stock. Thats not just because I'm a poor student, I've dropped a couple thousand into routine maintenance and I've either done it myself or done by friends at a deal. That @!*%s expensive and you'll still have to drop for it after 5gs in mods.

Okay so here's the scenario. You have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE (very good condition, just over 100K) and $5000 to spend on upgrades. What mods/upgrades would you do? Thanks.

I would get some nice 20" wheels, lower it, and put a 5000watt audio system in it! Blingity bling! Oh wait, you didn't say what you want to use it for! :)

A few years ago I put about $5K into my rig. The $5K included t-case crawler gears ($1300), front locker ($900), dual battery system ($350), custom rear bumper ($1500), and a dual-din in-dash DVD player, amp, new speakers and a 10" sub.

But if you're starting from bone stock, and you want to use it for off-roading, I would do this:

timing belt replacement

put poly bushings in the rear control arms

2" lift

manual hubs

15x8 wheels and 32" tires

sliders

skid plate

4.636 front and rear diffs

Edited by XPLORx4

Maintanance is priority!

Not only should you replace all your rear control arm bushings, but also your steering rack bushings! You'll thank me for that one. And to change what was said above, I would get the Manual hubs before the lift. Just added security on an older vehicle, you know?

And...I'd swap the diffs with frontier diffs (make sure it has the rear LSD!).

my .02

Jose

Assuming you're wheeling and the machine is in good shape...

- 2" Lift kit with either KYBs or Ranchos front and Bilsteins rear from AC aka www.4x4parts.com: $800 shipped

- Custom steelies from Summit Racing/US Wheel to match nicely with lift and take a beating: $375 shipped (assuming you get 5)

- BFG A/T, Dueler Revos, KM2s, Wrangler MT/Rs, whatever you want from TireRack: $1,200 shipped

- AC complete skid plate set: $650 shipped

- ARB rear locker with small compressor: $1,800 installed

- Optima Yellowtop from Amazon.com: <$200 shipped

- Being able to go anywhere on most trails (excluding Moab, Baja and the like): Priceless.

Shipping costs may vary depending on your location...

Edited by GoPathyGo

First I would address the timing belt and rear control arm bushings. Then I would move to other maintenance. Then depending on what you want I would:

1. Buy manual locking hubs

2. Buy lift springs with new shocks/struts

3. New wheels/tires

4. Skid plates

5. Sliders

6. Lockers front and rear

7. Off road bumpers

8. Assortment of lights to put all over the truck.

1) Suspension upgrade: 2" OME coils, OME front struts, Bilsten 5100 rear shocks.

2) Rollers: Some nice wheels (size is your preference) and some beefy Toyo MT's.

3) Warn Manual Hubs

4) ARB air lockers and air compressor

5) Armor!

The rest I'd say is up to you. Have at 'er!! :aok:

Just so everyone knows: this isn't in preferential order by any means. I just listed what came to mind. :D