Tire Options

Kittamaru

Aighty... well, my BFG A/T's have served me well and have plenty of life left in them...

However, I don't plan on doing any kind of off-roading anytime soon, and their rolling resistance is incredible to say the least... I'm hoping to grab a new set of legos tonight from one of the guys here (thanks again for the patience mate!) and am looking now into a good, low-cost set of street tires. The plan is to keep the BFG's for winter use and use the other tires during spring/summer/fall - I can also swap the BFG's out if I want to go off-roading, since I'll have them on the spare wheels.

Question is, what IS a good normal tire for our trucks? Preferably tires that won't run me 500+ a set 0o'

Reason I'm asking now is in 15 days I'm getting married :D And after the wedding, my wifey and I are running down to North Carolina for our honeymoon... and yes, we're driving... debating now if we want to taket he Pathfinder or her Subaru Legacy... Legacy rides better, has AC, and gets normally slightly better mileage (AC cuts into the normally far better mileage) but the Pathy has far more room and we won't need a tow behind, which is something my girl has never driven with and doesn't feel comfortable using...

So, yeah, any advice? Looking for a set of good, "cheap" tires that aren't cheaply made :D

I used BFG Radial Long trails for my street tires. They ride real smooth but they suck in snow or mud. But you aren't going to be using them in that are you lol. They last a long time as well. Or you could just go to a tire shop get some highway all season tires, which is what the long trails are.

Preferably tires that won't run me 500+ a set 0o'

I think you are in for a suprise. A doubt you will find any tires in 235/75/15 for under $100, not to mention tax, mounting and balancing, and assuming you get 5 (matching spare) you will be lucky to get out the door for under $650.

Your best bet is to look for local deals on used tires from private sources, I have seen some good ones.

Oh, I don't the the BFG AT has that much rolling resistance. I got over 20 MPG fully loaded and climbing mountains... :shrug:

B

tirerack.com currently has Kumho Road Venture APT's in 235/75R15 for $77 each, and they're ranked 9th in category (out of 71 tires).

But I'm guessing that you're probably going to run 31x10.5's since you have a 3" body lift.

In which case I'd go for Yokohama Geolander HT/S's. They're $109 each, but that's the best price you're going to find in 31's unless you go for a retread tire. I'v never had an issue with Yokohama tires, I had them on my previous car (Toyota Camry) and I currently have their AT/S on the Pathfinder and I plan on putting Yoko's on my Focus once it's time to replace the tires on it currently.

I will easily get 50,000 miles out of a set of Uniroyal Laredos, in the 31-10.5-15's, consistantly acheiving 18-20 mpg. I won't necessarily rate them superior for snow but they have made it through several midwestern snow events. They are aboyut $100 a hoop at big box stores, add the $12-15 mount and balance and tax and you are going to easily be in that $500 range for 4 tires.

well... I don't have a body lift yet :P and I'm using stock legos for the 1990 SE :)

I don't intend to get another full size spare just yet... I'll purchase that when I go in for my first rotation :)

As for balance/mounting/et al, I can have that done free or near free by a friend :) Just need the tires themselves first :D

I use a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G052 tires, they are excellent for street and wet driving. They don't cost much either, you can get them for $120 a piece or so.

Edited by Tungsten

ltx m/s

GREAT on highway, GREAT on street, GREAT in rain, GREAT in dunes, GREAT in snow, GREAT in mud

Best tire for your money, and they last forever

only downside, they have limited sizing

If your looking for a cheapo tire, these are the cheapest and best you will find

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=1

I have these on my malibu (yeah, sedan...) but it too has a 3.1L v6, and only weighs a little less than the pathfinder..... AND its only fwd

I have never gotten stuck in that, they are REALLY hard to rip loose, (can still do it) but they get AMAZING traction, ive driven on a road with 1/2" to 1" of water going 45 and not lost control, and they perform great for highway/street, they don't have an aggressive tread, but hey, if your not gonna wheel with em, these are cheap, and GREAT for street

Dumb question - how do I know what size I need? Lol...

you either have 31x10.50r15 or 235/75r15's. Look at the sidewall, and try to match the tire you have. The driver's side door frame also tells you, and a plaque in the glove box as well. I would go with the 31's just cuz they look more trick than the 235's. And for a good, cheap, street tire, look into Kumho, Toyo, or even go for non name brand tires that have a warranty like Mastercraft's which are made by Cooper. Cooper is a good set also, but they run near 100 for 235's, where as you might be able to find some 31 mastercrafts for like 85 each. Try those, I sold those to a bunch of farmer's around where I lived and worked, and they all had pretty good luck with them, and if a farmer likes them, they are ok. Hercules where ok, but good luck finding them at any big name store. If you lived in Colorado I would recommend talking to Foree tires here, they can hook you up for cheap. Other than that, find smaller tire shops for no name tires, or just wait for a great sale at a bigger one.

Well, I guess my question is - what on a wheel do you measure to figure out what size tire to use - I'd assume it's a radial measure?

Well, I guess my question is - what on a wheel do you measure to figure out what size tire to use - I'd assume it's a radial measure?

You said you have the stock lego tires right? If that is the case you want 31's, the legos were designed to fit 31x10.5 tires (I'v seen a set with 235's on it, it looked really stupid and the tires obviously weren't seated properly)

The stock steelies were designed for 235/75R15 tires, but can fit 31x10.5s as well.

Aighty :) It's a set of wheels I'm looking to get so that's why I was confused :D

Thanks for the intel guys! Hopefully I can get the wheels and tires together and mounted before my trip to NC :D

EDIT:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...model=LTX+M%2FS

GRR! They don't mention the 31x10.5 at all... this mean I'm SOL for this brand or would the 235x75R15 s work?

Edited by Kittamaru

as far as fitting on legos, from what i know, it shouldn't make a difference between the two, but idk if legos/chromes are the same sizes

As far as the size of the tire, its really worth it to get the ltx m/s and take a smaller size...they are just that good

Thing is, I'm looking at the stock lego wheel, so I can't get different size wheels because of this deal :)

It'll have to wait though - grandmother collapsed today and had to go to the hospital... not sure what's up atm :(

michelin ltx m/s

The Michelin LT LTX M&S 4-season tires are quiet, exhibit low rolling resistence, and work just fine for me in a variety of snow, ice, lose dirt, mud, bogs, etc.

Have to agree with OldSlowReliable.

You said you have the stock lego tires right? If that is the case you want 31's, the legos were designed to fit 31x10.5 tires (I'v seen a set with 235's on it, it looked really stupid and the tires obviously weren't seated properly)

The stock steelies were designed for 235/75R15 tires, but can fit 31x10.5s as well.

Actually, if you look up the specs of 235's they are designed to fit 5-7 inch wide rims, and 31's are meant to fit 7-9 inch wide rims, so you can use legos for either. I have 235's on mine and they are seated up nicely, haven't had a leak in 2 years, but yea that is what was designed to go on those rims, legos being a 15X7 and the steelies being a 15X6. Yea you could also go with a 265/75R15 which is pretty close the the 31's and is still going to be a lower rolling resistance since it is a P metric tire...I.E...4 ply, all 31's, 32's, and 33 designated tire sizes are considered LT that are a 6 ply. The LTX is probably one of the best all season tires, either way you go, M/S or the X-radial A/T both are made from the same carcass just using different tread designs. Other than that, remember BFG is made by Michelin, so either way you go you get a great tire.

Edited by 94Pathyman

Actually, if you look up the specs of 235's they are designed to fit 5-7 inch wide rims, and 31's are meant to fit 7-9 inch wide rims, so you can use legos for either.

That's what I wanted to point out...

B