High idle on VG33E

tekazgtr1984

So I cleaned my gummed up throttle body and followed the directions on the can, blah blah blah...

Now when I fire it up, idle sits around 1200 rpm... :scratchhead:

Did I screw up here or something along the way?

Drove it a good mile or so around the 'hood. Still sits around 1200 rpm...

I checked for crud in the body itself, everything looks good. Maybe just residual left by the TB cleaner...? :shrug:

after my swap i realized my throttle cable assembly was hanging and sprayed it down with PB and worked it and now it idles back down...I kept trying to adjust the tension on the cable and it didnt matter and i realized the set screw wasnt returning to home so thats why i sprayed down the hinge and spring assembly....may want to check that while you're at it

Thanks for the help, everyone! :aok:

After checking everything, I'm certain it's just residue left in the TB/intake manifold. My Nissan mechanic friend said just drive it normally until the idle normalizes itself.

To be honest, my TB was pretty nasty. I was quite liberal with TB cleaner and tons of black crud came out on the cloth when I wiped inside it.

I'm going to SeaFoam the intake manifold tomorrow so I imagine that should help things.

So, I didn't end up SeaFoaming the intake manifold as my idle problem was made apparent by my Nissan mechanic friend the other night. Rust has laid claim to another part of my vehicle, this time being the two springs contained within the throttle body hardware, one for the butterfly/TB cable spring, the other being the temperature regulator cam right below the TB spring.

For the moment, I lubed the effin' crud out of both springs and with the help of a long flat-head screwdriver, I was able to move the temp. reg. cam back to the right position. The spring still sticks a bit, though; idle more or less sits around 1000rpm unless I use ol' flat-head on the spring.

Needless to say, new TB hardware is required. :thumbsdown:

Well, that's not normal OSR.

The inside of your intake is rusting/corroding?? :blink:

Move out of there fast, imagine what it much be doing to your lungs!! :D

B

My lungs? I made sure the area was well-ventilated. :D

Aside from the crud which came out when I sprayed with TB cleaner, everything inside looked very clean and proper. My money's on those damn springs, especially the temp. reg. cam spring; that's one is just nasty corroded.

my vote is for residue in the intake manifold. last time i cleaned my TB (it was filthy and sticking like crazy!), it did the same thing. after a short drive, it cleared up. :)

that was my vote while reading this.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :aok:

After checking everything, I'm certain it's just residue left in the TB/intake manifold. My Nissan mechanic friend said just drive it normally until the idle normalizes itself.

To be honest, my TB was pretty nasty. I was quite liberal with TB cleaner and tons of black crud came out on the cloth when I wiped inside it.

I'm going to SeaFoam the intake manifold tomorrow so I imagine that should help things.

you could just dirp some water down it. also, the italian tuneup tends to clear up things like this too.

so, where the heck do u live to get rust on the inside of the tb? a small island? or has your truck been sitting for a longer period without being fired up?

you could just dirp some water down it. also, the italian tuneup tends to clear up things like this too.

so, where the heck do u live to get rust on the inside of the tb? a small island? or has your truck been sitting for a longer period without being fired up?

The rust isn't inside the TB, it's laid claim to the TB spring and temp. reg. cam spring. Those are both exposed to the elements and are readily visible when the hood's open.

All I do know, it needs to get fixed. My idle's f*cked and my gas mileage has gone for a sh*t because of this ordeal. If I had known cleaning a TB would have caused this much grief, I wouldn't have done it in the first place! :rant2:

Here are some pictures I just snapped:

DSC07414.jpg

damn_tb.jpg

I) Corroded TB butterfly spring: apparently not causing an issue because the butterfly still functions as it should.

II) Corroded temperature regulator cam spring: most likely the causing the high idle issue.

Methinks it's time to find that fabled QD32ETI. :lol:

idk if this helps but my idle went down after one of those cleaners you can put into the gas tank

i also had the engine cleaned out in a shop, they hooked up some thingy to the intake, i guess it was the TB being cleaned but lots of smoke and crap came out as it was idling

Thanks for the suggestion but I know for sure it has to do with hardware being out of whack. Perhaps I nudged something when I was cleaning the TB, I don't know. All I know is the temp. reg. cam spring needs readjusting.

How I go about doing that is still beyond me. :shrug:

One thought Ty. You know where the cable goes into the black round vacuum box, for the cruise control? Check to make sure you somehow didn't pop it out while moving things around. The idiots who changed something on dads truck did that and I popped it back in and the truck was happy again...His springs look like that but they work fine.

my 300zx did the opposite as your car. I cleaned it and it would bearly idel at 400-600 rpm so it ended up being the idel throttle sensor or whatever. Its the sensor on your throttle body. I replaced it on my zx and it runs great now. I still have my spare off my old pathy ifu want to try that. pm me if interested.

Thanks for the info. :D

I'm pretty positive it's just the hardware. On the TB temp. reg. cam, there's a fin with two notches. At cold and hot, the notches don't line up with the TB pin. So my guess is the hardware needs to be readjusted or replaced. :shrug:

I'll check out my TB sensor, too, just to make sure. :aok:

So I was able to fix the issue and idle is back where it should be (~750rpm) but I am still going to go forward with new TB hardware and get a Nissan mechanic to calibrate everything.

DSC07418_edit.jpg

These two screws are what help fine-tune the idle. So I adjusted the bottom one ( I ) while the engine was running, and played around with it until the idle sat at 750rpm. I double-checked everything, took the rig for a spin around the block and now it's all good. :jig:

I'll let it cool down and take it for another spin later, to see if any further adjustment is needed. :happy:

• 10 years later...

I know it's an old subject but not a true reference. I made the same mistake before:( The screw on the throttle should never be adjusted. Idling adjustment screw is different. You can make the idling adjustment from the screw in the photo. If you accidentally replaced the throttle body screws, you can check the video below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_L9DQyI5AwBaseidle.jpg.30c350a594e82369fb71158fa567f46f.jpg