Pickup truck recommendations

GoPathyGo

Ok, so after years of renting Home Depot/Lowe's tricks, paying ridiculous amounts for deliveries, stuffing things into cars and feeling like a helpless dolt when I need to carry anything more than a thimble, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a used pickup truck.

Criteria:

- Cheap. This is going to be a backup, towing and hauling vehicle.

- Capable of towing Armadillo, my Pathy. Say 5k towing capacity minimum

- Large but not humongous bed. Examples of stuff I'd like to be able to lug about on my own: dressers, washer/dryers, bedspring & mattress, audio equipment, exercise equipment etc. I don't run a home goods store but those are the large kind of items that I hate paying $99 for... If it's larger than that, I'm happy to pay delivery since I'm moving to a place with lots of narrow stairwells

- Cheap

- Ridiculously durable and reliable

- Looks, colors, engine power don't matter beyond a point. This is going to be a strictly utilitarian truck

- Decent clearance or cheap aftermarket parts so i can lift it a bit to get more clearance

What would you guys suggest ?

Thanks

Well, since you want to tow with it, at the very least you'll need a V-8 full size truck. You could go the next step and get a Diesel, but you don't need one. I would avoid Dodges, they are notorious for tranny trouble, but otherwise a Ford or Chevy would probably be about the same on reliability. For me though, I wouldn't buy a Ford, I just don't like em.

I wouldn't get a Chevy, I have been in a bunch of them with rattles all over...Dodge is crap. Ford is the way to go, great power, reliability, and they hold together better than most pickups (it is a pickup though, so rattles will be inevitable)

+1 for crummy dodge auto tranny

i would probably end up with an f-150 or 1500 silverado. if you can afford it, a toyota tundra is a nice reliable truck, but it won't be cheap.

Buy an old (90-95) dodge ram with the cummins TD and manual transmission. It'll run for ever, get the same or better milage than the Pathy and you can tow your house if you want to.

B

Exactly what B said. Those are great trucks, Cummins deisel and manual tranny, that's about as good as it gets. My buddy's mom has one and it's going on 375k, runs like new, and still gets 19 mpg average towing horse trailers cross country.

Also a Ford F series, great trucks. Early to mid 90's are about the best. You would probably be best with an F150. The 302 and C4 transmission combo is an extremely durable set up. You could go with the 4.9 I6 with an auto or manual. A little less power but that engine is as bulletproof as a VG.

The first gen Tundras aren't good trucks. Weak, easy to catch a serious lemon, worse fuel economy than most trucks, way too overpriced, but they do drive nice. That is if you want a truck to drive like a car.

Cool, thanks. The TD sounds appealing (love diesels) but, given the age and Chrysler's condition, what's the parts/repair situation like ?

F150 seems to be frontrunner right now. Tons around, lots of parts and service and a generally pretty good reputation.

I don't have anything against Toyotas. But that's the problem. They're appliances. It's impossible for me to get excited one way or another about the automotive equivalent of a toaster... They're also unjustifiably expensive. Premium in the DC area for used Toyotas can be up to several thousand depending on age and condition, wayyyy more than they're worth.

Are F150s any good offroad ? No experience with them. Just wondering about those occasions when Armadillo's in the shop or a few of us get together and take both vehicles. I took a Dakota offroad once in Vermont. I feel queasy just remembering that occasion. Hoping that was just the Dakota and not all pickups.

Cool, thanks. The TD sounds appealing (love diesels) but, given the age and Chrysler's condition, what's the parts/repair situation like ?

The TD is offered to this day so parts aren't hard to find, but as I understand, you don't need many. Chrysler is probably the best off of any of the Big 3, whatever that means...

The Cummins is only offered in the 3/4+ ton chassis as it can warp the (old) 1/2 ton chassis when towing at capacity. As for wheeling, where do you want to go with a 3/4 ton 350ci inline 6 TD??

I'll only say that if I needed a full sized truck, that is what I would shop for.

(don't like Fords) :shrug:

B

The Cummins is only offered in the 3/4+ ton chassis as it can warp the (old) 1/2 ton chassis when towing at capacity. As for wheeling, where do you want to go with a 3/4 ton 350ci inline 6 TD??

Hehehe. No winch necessary. Simply ram obstacles down...

The TD is offered to this day so parts aren't hard to find, but as I understand, you don't need many. Chrysler is probably the best off of any of the Big 3, whatever that means...

I'll only say that if I needed a full sized truck, that is what I would shop for.

B

Well Chrysler is only best off if the deal with FIAT goes through (which it seems like it will)

Otherwise Ford is currently doing the best

Of course that's like getting first place at the Special Olympics...

B

WTF? Chrysler best off? They are by far doing the worst I think. I know GM's numbers look worse but thats because they are running 50 million bad brands, Chrysler is only running 3. Ford is the best off, For won't be going anywhere for a while, they have adjusted and are doing well.

Autotrader search for manual diesel ram with <100k miles for under $10k anywhere in the US. (There are a lot more with >100k miles but at 200k-300k miles already on 'em, not sure how much life is left and how many issues they have. Don't want to spend $8k on a truck with a quarter million miles...) Out of 3 million cars available for sale, Autotrader found 2. I love this dealer's name...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...;standard=false

I'll add another vote for an older Ford F-Series. You can get them in good shape for super cheap, there's lots of aftermarket support, and you will never, ever have trouble finding parts when something breaks.

As for off-road, my brother used to have an F250 diesel that he wheeled a huge amount. It definitely did pretty well, but it had its problems. The size and weight made it somewhat cumbersome, but that's a problem any full-size truck has. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a primary off-road vehicle, but it would work for occasional wheeling.

Well Chrysler is only best off if the deal with FIAT goes through (which it seems like it will)

Otherwise Ford is currently doing the best

Of course that's like getting first place at the Special Olympics...

Fiat, Alpha Romeo, Vauxall, Opel.... Good !!... at last we are going to have a taste of some other advaced technology, other than the 3Big ones...We need it so bad... So many well knowned and reliable brands ignored !!

...And yes definitively go for a 3/4 Chrysler...principaly for their Cummins...reknowned for their reliability...even on ships...but not without a manuel transmission...but it handles roads softer with a camper on it... otherwise your ride is like beeing on a horse...

Edited by Pinip

The Fords have great drive trains for wheeling, Dana axles, manual locking hubs, lockers, good low gearing, etc. The only limiting factor really is the size and weight. An F150 single cab short bed 302ci is a good match. Tows well, hauls stuff, and because it's short it can wheel with the best of 'em. The parts are readily available and cheap, and they have great aftermarket support. And if you want a diesel, you can also get a Ford F250 with the Powerstoke TD. Amazing engine and the fuel economy on the freeway with an automatic is in the mid 20s. On our trip to Alaska a few years ago, we averaged 26mpg in our old red F250 King Cab long bed 4x4. That was speeding, with some gear in the bed.

And even if Chrysler did go out of business, it wouldn't make a difference in the aftermarket support or parts supply for a long, long while. If Chrysler stops making replacement parts, there are plenty of other companies who will continue making parts and pick up the slack.

Oh, and Ford is the best off. They have done the best at budgeting their money, saving it, and changing their product lines to match the economy and consumer demand. Their build quality has also skyrocketed, and is worlds better than the rest of the Big 3 and for the most part better than many Import vehicles today.

Edited by Kingman

make sure you find out the last time the p.o. of the cummins replaced the injector pump, or whether or not they added conditioner to the fuel. The cummins injector pumps have a history of failing (mostly due to inadequate lubrication). They are super-expensive to replace. $2-$3k around here.

A used F-150 is probably your best bet. If you wanted to stick with Nissan you could probably get a used Titan for around 12k. I'm not sure what your price range is though.

F 150 there is a reason it is the best selling pickup in the world.....

hm,,, now that I said that I hope its correct... or I'm gonna get lashed on here.... :hide:

...seems like the sky didn't fall on you ? lots of chairs around here hein ? Fords are ok today...but i remember,a loooooong time ago...you would see them passing by, spic and span, shiny, perfect paint...but they would rot inside out... and when the paint started to make bubbles the car was good for scrap...

Edited by Pinip

ok ok... I looked it up... its the best selling truck in the US...... here is a quote from http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/04/2007-th...in-truck-sales/

While the F-Series pickup retained its title of Best-Selling Truck for the 31st year in a row (also the Best-Selling Vehicle in the U.S. for the 26th year in a row),

ok ok... I looked it up... its the best selling truck in the US...... here is a quote from http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/04/2007-th...in-truck-sales/

While the F-Series pickup retained its title of Best-Selling Truck for the 31st year in a row (also the Best-Selling Vehicle in the U.S. for the 26th year in a row),

...and with no chair ? :chairfall: