DO NOT BUY ACER COMPUTERS

87pathy

In december i was on a business trip to Australia.

I purchased I purchased a laptop computer for My daughter as a christmas present.

On April 8th, the computer DIED. No functions, it has power but nothing happens.

I contacted Acer USA and i'm told that the warranty is NOT VALID because it was purchased in Australia and taken to the USA.

I have all original boxes, receipts.. etc.

THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. I AM NOW ASSED OUT ON A 500 DOLLAR COMPUTER THAT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT FOR MY DAUGHTER.

Spread the news. ACER IS a BS company.

That sucks... although I think I would have the same issue if I bought electronics in the states, and took them home to Canada. (I've heard Canon Canada wont warranty any camera or parts bought stateside.)

That said, we have a few Aussie members here -- maybe someone can help?

In december i was on a business trip to Australia.

I purchased I purchased a laptop computer for My daughter as a christmas present.

On April 8th, the computer DIED. No functions, it has power but nothing happens.

I contacted Acer USA and i'm told that the warranty is NOT VALID because it was purchased in Australia and taken to the USA.

I have all original boxes, receipts.. etc.

THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. I AM NOW ASSED OUT ON A 500 DOLLAR COMPUTER THAT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT FOR MY DAUGHTER.

Spread the news. ACER IS a BS company.

i am a tech computer and consultant for the last 10 years, i have known of customers, stock with numerous problems with their Acer.. i do not recommend to anyone to buy these products... these are cheap to buy but its a very low range quality product. At your risks and perils... You could still ask for an evaluation in a local computer store, just to find out if it is minor or major... could be a virus too that damage the boot...did you burn your recovery on cd...tried a reinstall ? to this point could be anything !!!

...As for the warranty, you would end up with the same problem with many companies, just as Pezzy mentionned ... unless you ship it back to Acer Australia ?! If it ever makes it there !!

Edited by Pinip

I find that hard to believe.

On some items i can understand, because they are not all built to the same spec.

but a computer is a computer.. the only difference between the one i bought in australia and the ones here is the PLUG.

Hell, when i turned it on, it set PST as default time zone.

i am a tech computer and consultant for the last 10 years, i have known of customers, stock with numerous problems with their Acer.. i do not recommend to anyone to buy these products... these are cheap to buy but its a very low range quality product. At your risks and perils... You could still ask for an evaluation in a local computer store, just to find out if it is minor or major... could be a virus too that damage the boot...did you burn your recovery on cd...tried a reinstall ? to this point could be anything !!!

this is an Acer aspire one. it has no CD.

all the re-installation stuff is on the hard drive.

its like the power is going to the switch, but not after. Green powerlight comes on,,, but nothing else happens

A lot of companies have similar regulations when it comes to products purchased overseas.

When I lived in Japan, I purchased a PSP, a PS2 (NTSC-J), a Cybershot digital camera, and two Sony Walkman MP3 players (one a 1GB flash-drive type and a 20GB HDD type), not to mention all the extras... When I came home my friend's ex dropped my digicam in a drunken stupor and busted the lens. Sony Canada wouldn't even touch the thing even though the model I purchased in Japan was exactly the same as the Canadian model. Warranties apparently, are not valid internationally.

However, I do remember seeing several "international" products offered at department stores in Japan, with warranties that are valid in the purchaser's country of origin. I never really looked into it, though. :shrug:

But that's some lousy news. Can't say I'm the least bit surprised, though. When push comes to shove (especially nowadays), most electronic companies won't stand behind their defective products unless it benefits them. :thumbsdown:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I find that hard to believe.

On some items i can understand, because they are not all built to the same spec.

but a computer is a computer.. the only difference between the one i bought in australia and the ones here is the PLUG.

Hell, when i turned it on, it set PST as default time zone.

It is made in Korea, and some devices are made cheaper, at low cost...for that reason any computer is not necessarily a good computer to buy... Just like Hyundays cars, made in korea also, were to avoid 15 years ago...

Is it a netbook like this ? here's some usefull info you might want to use before rolling eye dollars :

http://www.ainu.it/en/software/aggiornare-...do-di-avviarsi/

post-14973-1239905013.jpg

Edited by Pinip

It is made in Korea, and some devices are made cheaper, at low cost...for that reason any computer is not necessarily a good computer to buy... Just like Hyundays cars, made in korea also, were to avoid 15 years ago...

I'd still avoid a Hyundai today. :lol:

Is it a netbook like this ?

Thats the one.

its the windows xp version with 105 gig hard drive.

they have one with SSD memory and linux as well.

Thats the one.

its the windows xp version with 105 gig hard drive.

they have one with SSD memory and linux as well.

never used Acer eRecovery Management at the beginning ?

never used Acer eRecovery Management at the beginning ?

DUDE, ITS DEAD!

power light comes on.. then nothing else happens.. no monitor, no cpu cooling, no hard drive noise..

power comes on, but its like it doesn't come on.

and yes, i have used that before.

I have an acer lcd monitor and its a piece of junk, just randomly one day, all the buttons stopped working, so I have to use the power bar to switch it off... Although acer did honor the warranty I am just too lazy to send it in to them.

DUDE, ITS DEAD!

power light comes on.. then nothing else happens.. no monitor, no cpu cooling, no hard drive noise..

power comes on, but its like it doesn't come on.

and yes, i have used that before.

...seems like you are not the only one... but check this out you might have a solution even if no monitor, no cpu cooling, no hard drive noise.. the bios !!

http://www.qrpcw.com/2009/01/acer-aspire-o...s-recovery.html :clickdalink:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-46702-a...-bios-dont-show :clickdalink:

...a little sweat but no grease on your hands...

...seems like you are not the only one... but check this out you might have a solution even if no monitor, no cpu cooling, no hard drive noise.. the bios !!

hmm.. so this is a common problem with acer, but they won't do anything about it.

#$!&ers.

thanks man, i'll give this a try when i get home tonight

And to think, I have a CTX EZBook 700G from 1999-2000 that will still boot up Windows 98 with it's 10 GB HD and 128MB of RAM...heh

My little brother's used RCA projection HDTV recently took a crap too. Press the button, the little green light comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off...then nothing. No power, no TV. I looked it up and lo and behold RCA apparently makes the crappiest HDTV money can buy at Wal-Mart. Hundreds of complaints have been filed at consumer review websites across the net. Nearly all the projection TV's have the same power supply or color wheel or coolant or lamp problem. The parts don't last more than a year. And do you think RCA will be doing a costly recall to fix their sh1t-tastic TV's? Nope. Don't buy an RCA TV!!

That really sucks about the Acer netbook. I'd at least research similar problems and fixes by other people and then maybe have it looked at.

My GF's nice newer Dell Inspiron laptop recently quit working too and it was out of warranty completely. She's been through three different power adapters since the OEM one died last year and recently the power plug quit passing power through. The screen would flicker bright-dim-bright-dim all the time as it made intermittent contact inside, then it finally quit making contact at all and the battery started to drain. A local shop desoldered the power plug, put a new one in and fixed it. Cost about $110 for the repair and $39 for a new OEM-style power adapter. The universal power adapters she'd been using weren't made with a tip long enough to work with the new power plug.

And to think, I have a CTX EZBook 700G from 1999-2000 that will still boot up Windows 98 with it's 10 GB HD and 128MB of RAM...heh

My little brother's used RCA projection HDTV recently took a crap too. Press the button, the little green light comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off...then nothing. No power, no TV. I looked it up and lo and behold RCA apparently makes the crappiest HDTV money can buy at Wal-Mart. Hundreds of complaints have been filed at consumer review websites across the net. Nearly all the projection TV's have the same power supply or color wheel or coolant or lamp problem. The parts don't last more than a year. And do you think RCA will be doing a costly recall to fix their sh1t-tastic TV's? Nope. Don't buy an RCA TV!!

That really sucks about the Acer netbook. I'd at least research similar problems and fixes by other people and then maybe have it looked at.

My GF's nice newer Dell Inspiron laptop recently quit working too and it was out of warranty completely. She's been through three different power adapters since the OEM one died last year and recently the power plug quit passing power through. The screen would flicker bright-dim-bright-dim all the time as it made intermittent contact inside, then it finally quit making contact at all and the battery started to drain. A local shop desoldered the power plug, put a new one in and fixed it. Cost about $110 for the repair and $39 for a new OEM-style power adapter. The universal power adapters she'd been using weren't made with a tip long enough to work with the new power plug.

my wife had the same issues wiht her dell power supplies and batteries.

her dell same age as my toshiba tecra has gone through 3 power supplies, 3 batteries,, and 2 broken keyboards.

My toshiba.. 2 hours on original battery, no issues with any of it.. hell i even dropped it on the hard floor.

dell and acer will not ever get my business again.

I have a Toshiba satellite it's just over a year old. I've been through 2 of them, the first one was my fault but since it was 3 days after I got it they exchanged it. Second one the screen started getting dead pixels. They exchanged it too. The third one has been going strong ever since.

my wife had the same issues wiht her dell power supplies and batteries.

her dell same age as my toshiba tecra has gone through 3 power supplies, 3 batteries,, and 2 broken keyboards.

My toshiba.. 2 hours on original battery, no issues with any of it.. hell i even dropped it on the hard floor.

dell and acer will not ever get my business again.

True for Dell... specifically for the portables. I had a costumer who just bought a portable...and had to return it to the company for fixing...and another one also purchase a portable...the company had to send him a dvd r/w replacement... which i had to install...

Although Dell has been the biggest computer maker in the world for a long time, it is not the case anymore since it is now surpassed by HP ... and surely Toshiba ...

...hummm...wonder who makes the ECU on the Path...

Edited by Pinip

dude, your awesome.

This DID FIX MY PROBLEM.

wonder why Acer USA couldn't have told me something similar.

idiots

dude, your awesome.

This DID FIX MY PROBLEM.

wonder why Acer USA couldn't have told me something similar.

idiots

...well, as we say, the matter is not to know all the info, takes too much memory .. but likely, where and how to find the info...Internet is a universal ( i should say planetary) library...thanks to internet and obviously, thanks to NPORA... for helping me with... my screwdriver's skills :-)... and happy for you 87pathy, You just got yourself a $500 saving for your Pathfinder !!

...Awesome ? you're the one, Dude, i only found the recipe, you did all the cooking :-)

Edited by Pinip