distributor diagram

Ramon

Hi all

Well I was changing the head covers gaskets and remove the distributor and I totally forget to mark the position and affected the timing while removing/installing the cap/rotor :doh::headwall: so now I doesn't start :( and I don't know how adjust the time of the distributor :scratchhead: Is there any way to re-timing it again what do i need to do?

help me please

Edited by Ramon

• Remove your cap from the distro and trace the #1 wire to the # 1 point. (the wire orientation and the points orientation are not the same)
  • now using a large wench on your crank bolt turn your engine untill the timing mark lines up with 0 on the ballencer (the first tick mark on the left)
  • Now with the rotate the rotor to just a little before where the #1 point would be (10 o'clock pos IIRC) and insert it into the head. It will turn a little when you insert it and once it has done this it should end up facing the #1 point.
  • If it seems like its pointing more towards where 2 or 6 should be then pull it out and ajust your starting point so that it finishes @ #1.
  • once lined up put you cap and wires back on and get the engine warm (slowly, don't rev it untill the timing is set correctly)
  • set Idle 600-700 with no a/c radio or ligths etc
  • Base timing for 90+ is 15 BTDC & 12.5 BTDC for the pre 90. Setting timing to 14-15 makes for a litte more highway friendly ride
  • set your idle back to normal 800-900

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 2

• Remove your cap from the distro and trace the #1 wire to the # 1 point. (the wire orientation and the points orientation are not the same)
  • now using a large wench on your crank bolt turn your engine untill the timing mark lines up with 0 on the ballencer (the first tick mark on the left)
  • Now with the rotate the rotor to just a little before where the #1 point would be (9 o'clock pos IIRC) and insert it into the head. It will turn a little when you insert it and once it has done this it should end up facing the #1 point.
  • If it seems like its pointing more towards where 2 or 6 should be then pull it out and ajust your starting point so that it finishes @ #1.
  • once lined up put you cap and wires back on and set your base timing (engine warm, Idle 600-700, no a/c radio or ligths) @ 15 deg then set your idle back to normal 800-900

edit;

someone plz correct me if #1 point is not @ 9 o'clock.

is working is working!!!! :aok::fireworx:

thank you very much MY1path!!!

I have no way to pay you this

is working is working!!!! :aok:

:fireworx:

thank you very much MY1path!!!

so it was 9o'clock then?

I have no way to pay you this

No problem just pass it on the next time somone needs to know what you already do.

so it was 9o'clock then?

No problem just pass it on the next time somone needs to know what you already do.

sure no problem :friday:

and sorry is more like 10 o'oclok the wire no @1

Edited by Ramon

I thought the first tick mark on the crank pulley was -5ATDC then the next was 0TDC then 5BTDC, 10BTDC and so on....

nope, cause I doubt my pathy would run very well @ 10BTDC, which is where it would be if the first makre was 5ADC

I just remember my piston being at tdc and when I put everything back together the timing mark was on the second one from the left. Also the chilton's manual says that the leftmost mark is -5atdc and the 2nd mark is 0.

Edited by Indigent

• 9 months later...

I just remember my piston being at tdc and when I put everything back together the timing mark was on the second one from the left. Also the chilton's manual says that the leftmost mark is -5atdc and the 2nd mark is 0.

I think the newer and older models were different. Mine is a 95 and it has the first mark as 0, but manual does show like you say.I assume on the older models the first mark is -5.

• 1 year later...

sorry but i dont understand this instruction :(

is possible to tell me how to?

i have got this setup.. (last thing i try, was.. 30TDC on crank, insert distributor rotor- setup on their marks (5th image), move crank back to 15TDC and tighten distr.rotor screw)

You have your crank set at 0deg BTDC in the pics, so that is right. You do need to make sure that the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke...

Next you line up the marks on the distributor and put it in. The question is how do you orient it when you insert it? Follow My1paths instructions. You want to have the rotor basically pointing towards the #1 point (check the cap to see where this is, might not line up with where the wire comes out the top). The rotor will turn as you put the distributor in since the gears need to mesh, so you may have a try a few times to get it to line up after installation...

Good luck...

Once you have the distributor installed and everything then you start the truck and use a timing light to rotate the distributor while the engine is running to get to 15 degrees... look up how to use a timing light if you aren't familiar. Then you tighten the bolt and you're done. If you have the distributor installed on the wrong tooth then either it won't run at all or you won't be able to get to 15 degrees BTDC.

• 3 years later...

• Now with the rotate the rotor to just a little before where the #1 point would be (10 o'clock pos IIRC) and insert it into the head. It will turn a little when you insert it and once it has done this it should end up facing the #1 point.
  • once lined up put you cap and wires back on and get the engine warm (slowly, don't rev it untill the timing is set correctly)
  • Base timing for 90+ is 15 BTDC & 12.5 BTDC for the pre 90. Setting timing to 14-15 makes for a litte more highway friendly ride

Can I ask I a couple questions about this? I am currently doing my timing belt and I want to be sure its timed.

First of all, Where would 10 o'clock pos IIRC be? I have a photo of where my disty is on the timing belt disater thread.

Can we also confirm which contact point is #1 on the cap I have a good idea but im not sure what you mean when you say adjust the starting point to make it finish @#1

You want me to set idle with the screw or a timing gun?

I have no idea whar base timing for 90+ BTDC please elaborate on that pin-point

Please and thank you! I would hate to ruin my pathy.

Not really sure what you mean here either.

if you didn't remove your distributor from the block, you don't have to worry about this.

This is a set of instructions for how to reinsert the distributor if it had been removed.

For setting the timing, you loosen the screw on the distributor, allowing it to rotate some. Hookup the timing light to the #1 spark plug and point the light at the harmonic balancer with the engine running. For 1990 and beyond (90+), the timing should be set to 15 degrees BTDC (before top dead center) and pre-1990 is 12.5 degrees. I forget which timing mark is which but it shows in the Factory Service Manual. You can most likely use the 95 FSM since I think the engines were the same as yours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I knew this post existed a week ago. O well. Before I attempt, does anyone whether I want to find TDC first by the old crank with a finger over spark plug hole #1? I was going to do that, then the process described and I am thinking I should be good? Replaced my valve cover gasket and took the distributor out without noting its position just like the original post. Feel confident about it now. May attempt it this weekend or sooner.

Chris

Actually, can you reference where the 'crank bolt' is? I think I am comfortable with everything else but I will looking and I don't know where that is, or how I could rotate it. thanks.

Chris