starter gun

jeffrhine

A Ruger .22 is a good little gun if your looking to plink with.

Quiet, no kick whatsoever, accurate, cheap, easy to maintain, and the bullets come in bulk pretty much.

Edited by Kingman

quiet would be nice, but whats another good starter caliber besides the 22? My friends already have a few of those.

14 mags are fun, they can shoot for almost the same distance as the 22 but they pack a little more punch but heavier bullet, so I am told. They are great for shooting the heads off prarie dogs froma distance. That was fun, we were about 150 yards off and got one easy. Other than that, 30-30 if you want a versatile hunting/shooting gun. Or you could go with a 270, but that is a little more than a 30-30, but it works. Buy used, you can pick up a decent 30-30 for cheap and the bullets are not that expensive.

That's about as good a starter gun as you'll find. Next step up is a .243.

Then there's shotguns. 20gauge single shot are a good starter. Or a .410 shotgun.

And there are the .17s, haha groundhog hunting guns :aok:

Edited by Kingman

hehe I'll prolly just end up buying a 22 since it will be quiet and cheap!

You pretty much can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Ammo is crazy cheap and available everywhere. The 10/22 is one of the most reliable rifles there is to own.

-Mike

x3 on the Ruger 10/22. Everyone should own one.

Also consider the NEF Handi rifle. It is a single shot break open rifle that is a very good value (around $200) and you can get your caliber of choice, .223 on up. 30-30, .243, .270 are all common versatile rounds.

Hahahaha, 410's....I'd just go with a 12 guage. My brother had a 410, he traded it for a .22.

What is wrong with a 410? It has it's use and the chamber doubles as .45 long colt. Nothing wimpy about a .45 LC... :shrug:

B

I'd vote a 30/30 if you want something over a .22. A .270 or 3006 are nice for long distance/scope target shooting or hunting, but a 30/30 is nice for closer range, big boom, make stuff fly action :laugh: . They tend to be smaller rugged rifles that can take some abuse and still work well. 410s are nice, fun and all but useless besides making chipmunks disapear into nothingness (I have done this :shiftyeyes: ). A lot places 410s are illegal to use for anything other than targets or vermin.

A 3030 is an awesome gun, plenty of power to drop an elk or bear. I got my 30 30 Marlin for my first gun.

It never ceased to put a smile on my face when it goes boom and things explode :D

GG, Ever shot a grouse with a 410 from 5 feet away? Muahahaha.

Wal-Mart has a single barrel, single shot break action 20 or 12 (you pick) guage shotgun for $159.

Great little gun, but since it's really light it kicks like a mule.

Accurate as hell too, and it auto-ejects the empty shell out when you open the chamber.

From what I've experienced as long as you're not on private land where someone objects to shooting and it's outside city limits, it's fine. Way out in the woods or up on a mountain should be good as long as you're not aiming high and there are houses or farms in the distance that could possibly catch a stray bullet. Nobody really cares otherwise.

GG, Ever shot a grouse with a 410 from 5 feet away? Muahahaha.

No, just a chipmunk, it did a nice disappearing act...(obliteration would be an understatement)

You do not need a permit of any type to fire a weapon on state land as long as it's safe to do so.

As long as you don't shoot any animals you would need a permit to shoot at that is.

No, just a chipmunk, it did a nice disappearing act...(obliteration would be an understatement)

As long as you don't shoot any animals you would need a permit to shoot at that is.

Oh well yeah, didn't think of hunting when I posted that.

Are you going to be doing any hunting at all?

I gotta say that the Remington 6mm is one of the greatest rounds ever made.Its a cross between the 243 and 257 roberts.Mines in the remington 700 and I use it from hunting,target shooting and pest control.Theres really no kick at all and its in a light rifle so its easy to pack in and out.

But a 30-30 is also a good gun and shoots pretty good.

6mm is .236 cal. How is it a cross between the .243 and .257R? Velocity and or bullet weight? Ballistics?

*unsure*

:shrug:

B

The velocity is faster then the 243 but a little less then the 257.If you just buy off the shelf the biggest bullet you get is a 105 grain but if you load your own you can get 140s.I'm not sure what size bullets you can get for the 243 but I think the biggest is a 150 and the roberts I not sure about but I know they come in 125s.The roberts is a great round but there getting hard to find unless you want to pay custom prices.The 243 is ok but I've heard that they lack the punch of the 6mm and 257.The next step up from these in my book for range is the 270 and 7mm rem mag.I've never shot a 270 but the 7mm(not short mag) is a beast at long range.

Also I've never shot a 243 mag so I cant tell you what they comare like to the others.

I've changed my mind. Get a 7.62NATO (.308) chambered rifle!

For a first rifle I would advice against a .308, you want to be able to go out and plink around for a relative low cost to make sure you want to take the plunge. .308 is becoming very expensive to go out every weekend and run through 100 rounds or so.

PS... The 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester are not the same round :)