Engine Completion

94 Pathy

Ok, I've been trying to do a little research, but not having too much luck. I'm thinking about looking into a 94 Pathy, but the top half of the engine is in the process of having a Super Charger from an Exterra put on. The guy can't finish it, it's had a performance shop do some of the blueprinting and work, but still needs to be completed. Not too sure on what all still needs to be done since I haven't seen it or talked to the owner yet. Just trying to get an idea on what I'm looking at...

Any concerns, experiences, ideas, knowledge, thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

get the X ecu and injectors to go with it. sounds like a badass pathy project! I'm guessing 180 ftlbs to the wheels will come out of that vg30eR.

you may have some fuel issues, (ocatane booster w/ premium or 100+ octane race gass in the worst case) becasue think the vg33er ran a 8.5:1 and I think the vg30 is 9:1. I would try advancing the timing to get it to run on premium before you go commiting to expensive race gass. On the other hand, the X supercharger ran very low boost stock (4 or 5 psi IIRC) so you might be just fine as far as that goes.

I know of a guy who had a Supercharger installed on his non-supercharged Xterra. It worked just fine, on regular gas (may have needed premium) but he only swapped the fuel rails w/injectors, and the ECU.

That depends on where the boost pressure is measured. I think the lower plenums are very close to the same size on the 2 motors. Not sure if that's what counts, or in the cylinders themselves.

would the boost preassure go up on the vg30 being that there is not as much displacement to draw in the air?
That depends on where the boost pressure is measured. I think the lower plenums are very close to the same size on the 2 motors. Not sure if that's what counts, or in the cylinders themselves.

the vg30 also has a bigger cam letting more into the (smaler) cylinders.... I guess theres just too many variables to be sure.

I explored this option for my R50 with the VG33E, and estimated around $1200 worth of parts and a lot of time. I more or less just jumped at the idea without actually researching anything; upon doing so, I realized how challenging it could be. In the end, I would rather just drop in the whole VG33ER (at a cost of about $3K was the cheapest I found) right out of an Xterra to make things easier. IMO, it wasn't worth the money for the slight increase in output... But that isn't to say it shouldn't be done. If I can find a whole VG33ER for under $2K I would definitely reconsider.

In any event, best of luck to you with your mod! Keep us posted on your progress! :aok:

I would imagine a converted vg33e would make more than a vg33er because of the higher compression ratio.

And tho 50 ftlbs leaves more to be desired from a SC; I say 50 ftlbs seems like more than slight to me.

Call me conservative, but key words here: top half; is in the process of having a Super Charger; guy can't finish; not too sure; it's had a performance shop do* some* of the blueprinting and work, but still needs to be completed.

There is a reason why this person walked away, economy or work either way. Sounds sketchy and/or expensive to me without a full breakdown of what has/has not/should be done.

Mr. Pickles & 88pathoffroad pose a very good point. This is likely to be a handful but I can't help but say It would be really kool if you picked up the scattered pieces and completed it!

Mr. Pickles & 88pathoffroad pose a very good point. This is likely to be a handful but I can't help but say It would be really kool if you picked up the scattered pieces and completed it!

NOTE: the pully on the superhcarger is a discontinued OEM part.....

Edited by Alkorahil