Front Lighting

02silverpathy

Front Lighting  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you own or would you buy?

• IPF 968
    • IPF 900XSD
    • Hella 4000 Metal Euro
    • Piaa 520
    • Piaa 580

Pretty straight forward...I want to buy a strong set of lights for the front of my R50. I had Piaa 5250's and I think they were pretty weak for the $$$...dual beam was nice, but the high beams were weak sauce!

I am looking for durable, medium to strong light output (obviously bulbs make a difference), spread lights with a little distance for a reasonable price.

Now that said, I know that there are 2 IPF's that contradict a little...but that 968 seems like a helluva light for the price!

So tell me what you have or have owned and loved or hated...and if I missed any let me know! My plans are for a pair on the brush guard now and later I want either a third in the middle or another pair on the roof!

Thanks to all of you captains of lighting out there!!

I just bought 2 sets of piaa520ATP. What I like about them is the fact that they consume 85 watts but put out the equivalent of 100. They are made with non rust material and I don't have to remove the front protector to light them up without sacrifying effectiveness.

They come with a relay that is fused inside and protected from the element (unlike having the fuse along the cable)..really the only thing that sucked about them was the switch....which I replaced... You can see a few pictures of them here : http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21982

happy shopping :-)

Mine came with 4 Bosch pilot 150 on the front they were rusty so i replaced them with the new ones and put 100watt bulbs in them and they are really bright now! but it costed 200 bucks for the four of them shipped from hong kong. the lights on my factory light bar a pretty bright too but they could be replaced if i ever find replacements for them. they are a little cloudy and could use a bigger bulb as well

I don't know a lot from models of brands and I can't see the difference :shrug: as far as I know now the ones I have are Bosch halogen

I have the same lights you do but i have 4 and are white and not yellow. You should put the 100watt bulbs in them they are way brighter. If u ever need any extra like if u break your buy my old used ones lol so i can ride of them lol 50 bucks a peice for new ones.

If you are on country roads and such, have you considered buying a decent X brand fog/driving light housing (PIAA, KC, Hella, etc.), and then installing an aftermarket HID kit? I found a decent pretty much plug-n-play kit on eBay for around $55 that I put on the wife's car (in the stock Acura headlights). We've run them for 6 months and probably 8+K miles now I've tested by driving in front of the car in traffic, as well as oncoming on the highway, and its not bad at all. They are AWESOME in bad weather and such, and they light up the road incredibly without blinding other drivers (results would probably depend on the car/light housing used). I stuck with the 6000K version IIRK, its pretty much just bright white with a hint of blue, but the result was great! I'll be doing the same for the Pathy's trail lights shortly. Just a thought.

By the way, my original point I didn't get to ( :) ) was that HID uses a tiny amount of power through the ballast in comparison to trditional lighting. Something like 35watts vs. the tons in aftermarket lighting.

Here's the stock vs. mod

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Putting specific models down doesn't help, I for one have never even seen some of the lights listed much less seen the light they produce.

When choosing lights, go with what you like, what will last and what will give you the light output you need for what you intend to use the lights for. Light pattern is key! Fog lights put out a wide, horizontal beam in front of you, driving lights put out a small spot of light that shines further ahead.

The 85W = 100W statement is a sales pitch. 85W = 85W. ;)

They come with a relay that is fused inside

Seriously? I've never seen a relay with a fuse inside.

All that aside, I've always liked PIAAs, always used PIAAs, but I've seen some crazy amounts of light coming from KC's, Pro-Comps, Hellas, Lightforce, etc...I'd own a set of Lightforce lights...adjustable focus, interchangeable lenses, mmmmmmm.

the 968's are great lights. I have a similar model to the 900xsd. I would choose the 900's because they are semi-waterproof and the body is made of steel. You save money on the 968's because they use a polymer to make the housings from, but i bet they are as bright as the 900's. you can also swap bulbs with most of these lights. I would like a nice set of fog lights to compliment my driving lights.

I am really liking the durability of the IPFs.

Basically it comes to these brands ( as well as $$Lightforce$$, and KC) because they install good quality reflectors that make the light output focused and directed vs. just bright light cast in front towards the ground.

After looking at the IPF's, they speak more of durability than PIAA or HELLA. Pickles is right about HID, and the metal Hella 4000 might fit that swap ok.

I am thinking that the 968's are super thin and would be perfect on the front of the OE brushguard...and then add a set of HID's on the roof where maybe they are safer...either way I will post up the outcome...as soon as my ebay stuff pays I will buy some lights.

Any ideas for making a good install on the brushguard without helping it find a way to rust?? It does not have pre-drilled light fixtures.

Mine came with 4 Bosch pilot 150 on the front they were rusty so i replaced them with the new ones and put 100watt bulbs in them and they are really bright now! but it costed 200 bucks for the four of them shipped from hong kong. the lights on my factory light bar a pretty bright too but they could be replaced if i ever find replacements for them. they are a little cloudy and could use a bigger bulb as well

Have you ever considered Baja's for your light bar.There wal-mart cheapys but there pretty good.

Have you ever considered Baja's for your light bar.There wal-mart cheapys but there pretty good.

Hmmm..... I have learned... you get what u pay for. Those lights, blow out, leak, rust and cause various probs... but thats just my opinion. If you don't live in a moist area.... maybe they would last. :shrug:

Holy cow, I got off topic. :) Just for your notes... my Pathy has PIAA 40 series (old, $40 on feeBay) driving lights with PIAA 55 watt bulbs which I haven't had to change since i bought them like 5 years ago, along with Sylvania Silverstar headlights (for now) in stock housings, but I added a relay and new wiring to bypass stock for the headlight circuit = BRIGHT light.

As far as the lights go, "bright as hell" on your end doesn't necessarily = good on the road. Its the light's housing that focuses the light's output into a useable beam.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I've got the IPF 968's with 100w bulbs. Bright as I need them to be. Pezzy runs 868's on her roof, and 968's on her bumper, both sets running 100w bulbs as well.

Seriously? I've never seen a relay with a fuse inside.

What I meant, is that inside the piaa box, there is a relay and a separate fuse holder...not a fuse inside the relay..

English me bad speak...

S.