HID's

Anyone Ever gotten some HID lights for their WD21? I wanna get some....

I haven't, but I have been considering it. I did a search for "9004 HID conversion kit" and was amazed at how cheap they've gotten (found one for <$60 on eBay).

i would recommend getting aftermarket headlight lenses then becuases ours just scatter the light all over the place and will probably get you pulled over. look at getting the clear ones like i posted up a while ago they direct the light alot better

HID's in hallogen reflectors are unsafe, they blind other divers and don't direct enough light where you need it. You can learn more @ DanielSternLighting.com

not true, if you get a GOOD set of aftermarket HID's they will most likely come with the casper lense which will keep they extra glare down which will keep the glare to a minium, though if you have a lift of any sort, HIDS will still be bright to others

All i basically wanna know is what would be the best, safest, and most convenient way to put HID's on my pathfinder.

Ecupathy is right- but the Ebay kits (or any sold new for under $100, maybe even $150- been a while since I looked at doing these in my Volvo) are not quality kits. The lenses if they come with one are not correct for proper light distribution, are cheaply made and a small stone will make them useless. The ballasts also fry with regularity. On the Volvo 40 series, the headlight wiring was known for being kinda chintzy and even Sylvania Ultras turned the plugs and wire covering to dust. Not sure if the Nissan has this fragile of a system- but if they do I would plan on spending the money on a quality kit that won't harm your car, will not break down every two weeks and not make you "that guy" that blinds all the other drivers.

Actually- I am curious as to when the local gov's will start cracking down on crap lighting since it is unsafe and not DOT approved. I would assume in some states that do comprehensive vehilce inspections already don't allow them.

I myself am looking forward to trying the headlight relay mod. Sounds like this with some quality driving lights would provide pletny of light (I have poor night vision and HID tempts me) until I can afford a nice HID kit.

:handlebars: If you find the combo of safe, high quality, reliable AND easily affordable- please post it up for all of us as you my friend have found the Holy Grail and Monty Python has been looking for it for years!

Actually- I am curious as to when the local gov's will start cracking down on crap lighting since it is unsafe and not DOT approved. I would assume in some states that do comprehensive vehilce inspections already don't allow them.

I have done this, It works great! before the mod I back probed my shockets with lights running(as reccomended @ danilesternlighting.com) and got low 11.x's. thats nearly 2.5v drop from the bulbs rated amount. My alty was failing and was actually putting out 14v @ the time so thats a 3v drop total. after the mod both bulbs read 14v (amost 0 voltage drop).

I used new 400F rated sockets with 14ga wire and 12ga direct grounds. I used a hella double relay one side for hi and one side for low.

My PIAA ultra whites where much brighter after that, possibly brighter than a pathy w/ hid setup.

even aftery my alty took out my PIAA's and I went to some $11 yellow bulbs (till I fixed the alty) those $11 bulbs seem brighter than I ever remeber the wires being with the PIAAs installed.

• 1 month later...

I bought my HID´s on ebay with hi and low Hid, it cost around $130.00. What you may do is lower a bit your headlights that will help for the others drivers..

FYi, since I've had cars with HIDs (from factory and retrofitted), I thought I'd jot down a few notes. The websites can go off on a tangent sometimes. There are basically 2 types of HIDs out there

1. Factory HIDs, which come with self-leveling hardware. These are complex systems. They consist of a motorized mount inside the headlight assembly that communicates with tilt sensors usually/often hooked up to the suspensions of the cars. The sensors detect tilt, lift, dive and so on and the motor adjusts the beam accordingly to prevent the lights from blinding oncoming traffic. In addition, the headlights themselves are projector beam systems which provide a highly focused beam - both providing a lot of light where you need it and avoiding blinding oncoming traffic. They look and functionally are completely different from the standard/old school halogen enclosures.

This combination of motorized mounts, sensors and projector beams make it almost impossible to replicate a true factory setup. The best you could do is buy an OEM headlight assembly. But that will not provide the self-leveling function since you won't have the sensors etc.

For our purposes, the only OEM assembly with HID is the late-model Qx4 assembly. That goes for over $1,000/side on a replacement basis...

2. HID Bulbs. These are straightforward and simple. There is a bulb with ballast. The bulb uses the standard gas-discharge principle to produce a bright white/blue/blue-white/whatever you want light. That's it. There is no self-leveling and no projector beam. Incidentally, I believe part of the reason an HID bulb never really "looks" like a factory system is because there's no projector beam.

This is where a lot of folks get upset - and rightly so. Manufacturers use projector beams for a reason. A standard halogen assembly is designed to scatter a relatively weak, low-lumen light across a wide space. Putting an HID bulb in there is like turbocharging a Geo. Yeah, it'll work but that doesn't mean it's a good idea...

My personal opinion is that Danial Stern becomes a bit religious and extreme in railing against it. I also think he's a bit hypocritical because he trashes the HID bulb approach and then offers "one on one advice" and "a careful selection of 'good' lighting products". Whatever, dude.

My personal opinion is that there is something to be said for brighter light. It helps you see more and helps you be seen. But that doesn't mean you have to become one of these luxury-car wannabes and get purple- blue-fakeroo lights so you can pretend you're driving a BMW or whatever. A set of bright PIAA/Your favorite brand bulbs will accomplish the "see things better" goal without blinding everyone on the planet and costing a lot of money.

Just my $0.02

Edited by GoPathyGo

FYi, since I've had cars with HIDs (from factory and retrofitted), I thought I'd jot down a few notes. The websites can go off on a tangent sometimes. There are basically 2 types of HIDs out there

1. Factory HIDs, which come with self-leveling hardware. These are complex systems. They consist of a motorized mount inside the headlight assembly that communicates with tilt sensors usually/often hooked up to the suspensions of the cars. The sensors detect tilt, lift, dive and so on and the motor adjusts the beam accordingly to prevent the lights from blinding oncoming traffic. In addition, the headlights themselves are projector beam systems which provide a highly focused beam - both providing a lot of light where you need it and avoiding blinding oncoming traffic. They look and functionally are completely different from the standard/old school halogen enclosures.

This combination of motorized mounts, sensors and projector beams make it almost impossible to replicate a true factory setup. The best you could do is buy an OEM headlight assembly. But that will not provide the self-leveling function since you won't have the sensors etc.

For our purposes, the only OEM assembly with HID is the late-model Qx4 assembly. That goes for over $1,000/side on a replacement basis...

2. HID Bulbs. These are straightforward and simple. There is a bulb with ballast. The bulb uses the standard gas-discharge principle to produce a bright white/blue/blue-white/whatever you want light. That's it. There is no self-leveling and no projector beam.

This is where a lot of folks get upset - and rightly so. Manufacturers use projector beams for a reason. A standard halogen assembly is designed to scatter a relatively weak, low-lumen light across a wide space. Putting an HID bulb in there is like turbocharging a Geo. Yeah, it'll work but that doesn't mean it's a good idea...

My personal opinion is that Danial Stern becomes a bit religious and extreme in railing against it. I also think he's a bit hypocritical because he trashes the HID bulb approach and then offers "one on one advice" and "a careful selection of 'good' lighting products". Whatever, dude.

My personal opinion is that there is something to be said for brighter light. It helps you see more and helps you be seen. But that doesn't mean you have to become one of these luxury-car wannabes and get purple- blue-fakeroo lights so you can pretend you're driving a BMW or whatever. A set of bright PIAA/Your favorite brand bulbs will accomplish the "see things better" goal without blinding everyone on the planet and costing a lot of money.

Just my $0.02

thanks for the advice... I just wanted to do an HID kit cause its something that no one has done here on the forum from what i can tell. havent seen anyone else bring up the idea. and plus the whole "blue accented white lights" just looks cool!

thanks for the advice... I just wanted to do an HID kit cause its something that no one has done here on the forum from what i can tell. havent seen anyone else bring up the idea. and plus the whole "blue accented white lights" just looks cool!

Hey, at least you're honest about the reasons. :)

Here's what my PIAA intense whites look like from inside the truck.

PIAALights.jpg

I had silverstars a while ago and they sucked. Maybe the technology has improved since then.

To oncoming traffic, my Pathfinder looks like it has white halogens. No one will mistake them for HIDs but they are definitely visible.

Hey, at least you're honest about the reasons. :)

Here's what my PIAA intense whites look like from inside the truck.

PIAALights.jpg

I had silverstars a while ago and they sucked. Maybe the technology has improved since then.

To oncoming traffic, my Pathfinder looks like it has white halogens. No one will mistake them for HIDs but they are definitely visible.

Very impressive! I like those!

what were they? silverstars? and you think i can find bulbs that bright for my light bar?

Very impressive! I like those!

what were they? silverstars? and you think i can find bulbs that bright for my light bar?

PIAA Intense Whites. They run about $40/pair and replace the high&low beam. See my post. P...:D

You can actually get much brighter bulbs for the light bar. Headlights are limited to 60/55W output. Off-road lights can be much higher. For reference, I have PIAAs running at 85W. This shot shows how bright and white they are. The beams are aimed into the distance but you can see the intensity of the bulbs.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?s=&amp...st&p=401647

All HID - factory, retrofit, blah - look lame compared to those. But they are for off-roaduse only. I've actually looked into those things as if I was an oncoming car. It hurts the eyes!

How much do those bulbs cost, the 85w?

I basically want to look cool and have it be functional all at once!

(plus my neighbors need a wake up call on Saturdays for being a-holes for the last 7 years LOL!) :itsallgood:

• 2 weeks later...

If your still interested in getting H.I.D. headlights, I'd get my money's worth by having some custom made Projector Bi-Xenon H.I.D. used in Anzo USA's Hardbodie/Pathfinder Euro-Clear Headlamp Housing.

But the company I found said they estimated it would be $350 for this particular job.

Here's the link to the Company Website:

http://lightwerkz.net/

Be aware that even though the H.I.D.'s are projected doesn't give any re-assurance that they'll be legal. :puterpunch::shiftyeyes:

To get more info. on Anzo Headlamps for you Pathfinder go to and scroll down to the nissan section: http://anzousa.com/download/2008catalog/anzo_2008_hdl.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I bought one of those cheap China-made HID kits from eBay and installed them in my Pathfinder. They are a huge improvement over the stock crappy bulbs but overall - they sort of suck. They scatter the light all over the place. I taped off the top inch or so of my lenses to keep from blinding other drivers, it seems to have helped - I haven't been flashed since. I got a hi/lo version that actually physically moves the bulb forward and back inside the lens housing to accomplish the different beam patterns. The high setting projects a much better beam pattern but obviously it would blind oncoming traffic.

Here's the real goofy part - the hi and low are opposite now. The power for the low beam turns the bulbs on. The power for the high beam moves the bulb back and forth. But, the low beam bulb position throws the light far and narrow and the high beam bulb position throws the light wider and less far. So, I get to drive around with the blue light on in the instrument cluster all the time .

Overall, I'm not super happy with them and will be looking for a better solution some time in the future. I'll keep using them for now because they are much better than the stock bulbs but not the best solution out there, that's for sure.

I installed a set of hid's into my terrano but they don't have the moving part.

Overall impressed with them but low beam seems a little to bright.

Meaning I needed to adjust the lights tilting them down to stop the blinding.

Losing a bit of the high beams effective distance but still 100% on nissans idea of lighting.