Rust treatment

nige

Rust Areas & undercoating

The other rust problem is on the 4-door models, between the rear wheel opening and the bottom rear corner of the back door opening. One solution is to have anti-rust oil compound sprayed inside the back ends of the rocker panels.

As per the common problems and fixes thread, my truck ran into the same problem. I should have done this last season, and I was lucky it never went completely through the metal. It would have been a lot less work. Anyhow, here's what to do if your fender looks like this:

P7170001_resize.jpg

P7170002_resize.jpg

First, remove the fender flares if applicable.

P7170003_resize.jpg

I had to use a grinder on some of the bad stuff. Then begin to sand down the affected area until you get to bare metal. I used a sandblaster and it saves a whack of time. I applied a coat of naval jelly in case there was some residual oxidation anywhere. The area should look like this:

P7170004_resize.jpg

P7170005_resize.jpg

If the rust was particularly bad like mine, slap some filler or putty on, let it dry, then sand it smooth like so:

P7170008_resize.jpg

After than is finished, you are ready to prime the area.

P7170009_resize.jpg

Sand the primer until it is as smooth as possible, finishing on 600-grit. Then apply a fresh coat of paint. I took my truck to my friend's shop to have it done. You can blend in the new paint with a 600-grit wetsand. After that, use a polishing compound and finally apply a fresh coat of wax. This should keep the rust gremlins away for a little while.

Has anyone found a paint which has some rubber compound to resist the scratching from the OEM fender flares? I have a feeling that sand between the body and flare is responsible for this problematic area.

Oooh, fun! I just did some similar to this under the rear doors. I was thinking about sticking on some of the smallest thickness weather stipping I can find between the flares and the body. Maybe that could help, as I'm seeing the rubbing and scratching of the paint you're talking about. I just used the gold color "hammered look" Rustoleum which was close enough since I covered the area with aluminum diamond plate like 88Path did.

i'm contemplating taking the flares off. THe truck looks a little burlier without them. Maybe put them back on after a lift and those 33" MTR's i constantly dream about :mellow:

How about a Nice coat of GE Top end Clear Bathroom Silicone (a Thin coat). This stuff is Flexiable and resists water dirt and whatnot, and is C L E A R! Repo Depot (home depot) should sell it. it comes in a Tube wit a Clear cap. kinda of a goldish Label. When im done wiht my Fenders, im going to use that behind the flairs.

yeah that might work, i used that stuff to patch up a hole in my boat last year. Although i'm not sure how to spread it out so it looks nice. That stuff is very goopey.