Weird All-Mode Noise

Orangetang

I'm curious if any of you with the All-Mode 4WD system have noticed if their vehicle makes a continuous noise when you engage Auto/4H/4L. The noise I'm speaking of almost sounds like an electric motor. It is continuous and does not change in tone, ever, kind of a buzzing sound. It seems like the sound comes from inside the transfer case. I could probably record and post a short video or sound clip if anyone is willing to listen to it. This has been going on for longer than I can remember, but not forever. Other than the irritating sound, which you can only really hear when stopped, and next to a wall or vehicle, All-Mode has always worked fine.

The all-mode transfer case has a motor on the back of it that runs at low speeds and when in reverse to run the oil pump.

I'd check that, if it's getting noisy, it could be close to failure, which would starve the transfer case of oil, and cause furthur damage.

I have the exact same noise as you. I wouldn't worry about it. I think it is the normal operation of the pump they have spoken about. The sound is like a faint whilring or buzzing noise when the 4wd is engaged. I have had the sound and my TC has been fine.

• 11 years later...

Hey i had a noise coming from my QX4 transfer case when i would switch into 4WD. We jacked it on the hoist and determined it was the motor from the back of the case so many names for it. Switch actuator is what i called it anyways not sure if its this but i went to wreckers pulled it from a T.case and now that humming is gone or faintly noticeable and PS i never had any CEL 4WD lights either just a humming sound. i was just about to post this on my truck build. Good Luck

r9mSfe.jpg

NV4fxV.jpg

Interesting. My understanding of that box is that the motor runs to spin a pump, which applies pressure to the clutches that keep 4x engaged. Maybe the shaft bushings in the motor are going out? I'd be curious to put 12v to it and see what it sounds like, and whether a little oil on the bushings quiets it down.