alignment question

jgt

so I got the torsion bars lowered and new cv axles. I guess they were tearing and got loose because the retaining clip wasn't installed properly. I wonder is it like a c clip? Maybe the angles were so tweaked when the bars were cranked all the way up..anyhow I hope all is fixed now.

So, do I have to get an alignment right away? Don't wanna spend $80 right now but will I do damage to my hubs or suspension if I wait? The truck isn't pulling one side or the other. thanks, julie

If you put it back down to stock height, with stock suspension components, you shouldn't need an alignment unless its pulling and it's noticeably out of wack. Which you state it isn't.

The extreme angle of the CV axles when the torsion bars are at full crank and/or suspension lift tends to rip the boots.

I'd say it's not a necessity, and can wait. I don't know the history of your truck before this post, however.

If you put it back down to stock height, with stock suspension components, you shouldn't need an alignment unless its pulling and it's noticeably out of wack. Which you state it isn't.

The extreme angle of the CV axles when the torsion bars are at full crank and/or suspension lift tends to rip the boots.

I'd say it's not a necessity, and can wait. I don't know the history of your truck before this post, however.

sorry, should have given history.

1)Had tre, ctrlink, ball joints, and cv boots installed few months back, then alignment done immediately after when the torsion bars were cranked.

2)tore thru those boots, now just had new axles installed and torsion bars lowered. lesson learned.

3)So it's currently aligned as if it were still w/ cranked bars. now i'm being a cheapskate or just do the alignment? Will it harm anything else besides tires?

Edited by jgt

sorry, should have given history.

1)Had tre, ctrlink, ball joints, and cv boots installed few months back, then alignment done immediately after when the torsion bars were cranked.

2)tore thru those boots, now just had new axles installed and torsion bars lowered. lesson learned.

3)So it's currently aligned as if it were still w/ cranked bars. now i'm being a cheapskate or just do the alignment? Will it harm anything else besides tires?

Have it aligned back into stock spec.

now i'm being a cheapskate or just do the alignment? Will it harm anything else besides tires?

As long as it is close (no major odd driving issues as you stated), you don't have to do it right away and it really shouldn't hurt anything other than perhaps a little odd tire wear. Obviously, the more you drive the more important it is to have it done sooner. If you are just waiting for a paycheck or two, I wouldn't be concerned.

B

X2.

If you drive an uber amount, the sooner the better. If not that much or average, it's less important.

Nevertheless it should still probably get done when money is more available. It's not worth stressing and making amends to generate the extra money to do it ASAP.