Help please please please

SC88Pathy

Well miracle of miracles, my dad and I were just taking a look at it, but after figuring out how much time it was going to take to take to drop the pan he decided he didn't really want to help me anymore. Anyways as I was driving the car back up to the house (we were working on it in our barn) I got it to shift into second. As the transmission started to warm up though it didn't want to stay in second under power.

Sooo I'm going to try changing the fluid and installing an external cooler.

Why did you want to wait to install a tranny cooler? Yozsi seems to know what he is talking about. I'm not a tranny expert, but I think he only bothers to post when he is certain... :shrug:

Even if you have a total automagic failure, what is wrong with a manual swap? Too lazy to use the other foot?? :D

B

Why did you want to wait to install a tranny cooler? Yozsi seems to know what he is talking about. I'm not a tranny expert, but I think he only bothers to post when he is certain... :shrug:

Even if you have a total automagic failure, what is wrong with a manual swap? Too lazy to use the other foot?? :D

B

Honestly I prefer using the automatic off road. But it's looking more and more like that's the best option

Honestly I prefer using the automatic off road. But it's looking more and more like that's the best option

Too bad you are not closer to our shop, i would take a look at the trans and see if its something that still can be salvaged without a full tear down. Funny thing is that i just finished fixing a trans in a 88 300zx that was having similar problems.

Too bad you are not closer to our shop, i would take a look at the trans and see if its something that still can be salvaged without a full tear down. Funny thing is that i just finished fixing a trans in a 88 300zx that was having similar problems.

I believe Yozsi is right... I just tore down a RE4R01A and if the front brake band is loose, it will cause symptoms like you mentioned. There is an adjustment, but only go about 1/2 turn at a time if you are tightening. Adjustment located at driver side top of trans, right behind bellhousing.

• 7 years later...

Trying to revive this old thread. I've found myself in the exact same spot at OP (no second or fourth gear). I picked up this 1993 SE-V6 last week for $400 dollars. Seller said only thing wrong was it needed an alternator. Installed that this weekend (not terribly fun). With that fixed things seems to be great. 4-Wheel drive works, does't overheat, interior is dirty but no rips, it's a California car and the body is very straight with no rust. One negative is the mileage, 290K....

Hoping to get some advice if I should try to find a used tranny or cut bait and sell? Bought this looking for a project for me and my 15 year-old-son, but I don't want to throw money away.

Thanks!

I believe Yozsi is right... I just tore down a RE4R01A and if the front brake band is loose, it will cause symptoms like you mentioned. There is an adjustment, but only go about 1/2 turn at a time if you are tightening. Adjustment located at driver side top of trans, right behind bellhousing.

Can this adjustment be done while the transmission is still installed? I saw that it has a lock nut and allen bolt.

Just throw a new (used) xterra transmission in there and be done with it. It will run you 400-800 dollars depending on where you source a trans but the truck will run forever afterwards.

• Like 1

Just throw a new (used) xterra transmission in there and be done with it. It will run you 400-800 dollars depending on where you source a trans but the truck will run forever afterwards.

Does it matter if the transmission is from a 2-Wheel drive Xterra? I've found one of those.