Removing the front diffrential

Kingman

Having issues getting it out!

Got the rear brace undone, but it's hitting on the torsion bar on the passenger side. The front mounts don't have enough room to swivel down and out of the way, one is hitting on the oil pan. The front cross member bolts on the top can't come out, because the LCA bracket is covering up where the bolt should pull through!

Do I have to lift the engine up to clear the brackets on the front of the diff to get it to come out?!

Ahh!

engine has to be lifted slightly, front diff mt brkts have to be removed also. I managed to get the x-member bolts out when I had it tilted down. BE CAREFUL! when it comes out it will do so in a hurry. I used a 4wheeler jack under it to catch it. keep fingers out from under anything that will hurt. It will fall when it gets loose.

It does? Sh!t!!!

I called a buddy who has a FSM and it said nothing about lifting the engine. Just remove all the mounting brackets and seperate the rear-most cross member holding the diff from the diff and it will slide out and down. But of course those nuts would not come undone and one stripped, so the entire night was a total waste of time.

Busted up the back of my hand pretty good though. Lol. Aye aye aye...

I used a Chilton's the first time and I didn't read carefully. here's a quote: "6. Loosen all the emgine mount bolts, position another floor jack under the engine and raise it just enough to release the pressure on the mounts"

Just as a side note take a pick and clean all of the mud out of the recesses where the carrier nuts are (you would be surprised how much is in there) I thought I had stripped the nuts off until I cleaned all of the mud out and discovered I was only twisting on about the top third of the nut. Cleaned it all out and had plenty of grip (still busted a knuckle when it broke loose)