Rhino Coating

89pathy3L

Hey! I was wondering if it is possible, advisable, or not recommended to cover your truck in Rhino coating. You know what I'm talking about? The black plastic stuff. I go through a lot of tight trails and gravel situations so I was hoping it would be ok to do it. My paint isn't beautiful and i'd like to do it also to set it apart from the others. I know not many do it and that is why I'm skeptical. Is there a good reason not to do it?

Be gentle!

the only reasons not to that I can see are;

hood & door jamb clearances

harder to clean

heavy

appearance

Pros;

durable

non-slip (good 4 roof surfing)

easy DIY job

appearance

Go 4 it and post pics when your done!

Actually bedlining an entire vehicle is kinda common in the offroad circle. A lot of companies even have colors now, so you don't have to be black, unless you want to.

Actually cleaning it isn't too hard, just spray it off and if it dulls you can just Armorall the entire thing, lol.

go for it man, it would look great. i've seen an old nissan pick up with it in gray and it looked pretty good. when i actually get money i want to get a newer pathfinder anywhere from 93 to 04, and do it in black.

An old buddy of mine did his entire truck. It was a late 80's 4-runner. There are different grades of it from very thin to extremely thick. U can put it on with a roller or spray or have a pro do it. There r tons of option of quality. The thinner stuff is more like textured paint with slightly more durability than paint would have and the thicker stuff would prevent minor dings.

If you're thinking of doing it yourself I know of a product called hippo liner that we've used at my work before and had good luck.

Be prepared if you're going to do it yourself and you're a novice painter it'll be a VERY VERY messy job so take your time and PREP PREP PREP is KEY!!

-Colby

Hmm not to break up the talk of the hootus... but i am also considering the full rhino lining of the pathfinder...

That Durabak stuff looks pretty good and the price is not to bad... anyone know what the surface area of an 87 2 door is?

I have also been thinking of doing the floor in that stuff as well. i pulled up the carpet in my pathfinder yesterday and it was gross... the PO must have had a propensity for spilling cola.... I post the rest of that in my welcome thread but anyway my questions about the interior is.

How well do you think this stuff works as a sound deadener, If there is not carpet or insulation will the truck be unbearably loud or will the bedliner (maybe a couple layers) work in the same fashion as Dynammat? I like the idea of an interior I can basically spray out rather than staineds and increasingly gross carpeting. However i would like to be able to hear myself think driving on the highway too (I know picky picky).

How well do you think this stuff works as a sound deadener, If there is not carpet or insulation will the truck be unbearably loud or will the bedliner (maybe a couple layers) work in the same fashion as Dynammat? I like the idea of an interior I can basically spray out rather than staineds and increasingly gross carpeting. However i would like to be able to hear myself think driving on the highway too (I know picky picky).

If you're concerned about sound, dynomat the floor, and sheet metal over it, and rhino line the sheet metal.

Liner doesn't do much for sound deadening, at all really. The road noise is not even that loud. People who use trucks with rhino lined floors for wheeling usually don't give a hoot (haha hootus) about the sound on the road. Turn the music up louder.

I have just a single layer of Duraliner on my 88 floor, I don't notice a lot of road noise, but I'm not to picky about things like that, as long as nothing is whistling.

I'm going to do at least the bottom half with Herculiner and rattle can the top this summer. Does anyone know if there will be a problem painting the Herculiner? I know it comes out kind of gray so I was going to paint it black. I will post pics when it is done, hopefully July.