Replacement catalytic converter

gsta127

I was thinking about getting this Magnaflow replacement catalytic converter for my 94 and was wondering if it actually increases horsepower. I have a gibson cat-back on the car now. Has anyone had any experience with replacement cats? The link is here

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-muffl...1A4168A0A0.aspx

Also, if i got this, it would mean that i won't be able to pass smog becasue i live in california. But since this is a bolt-on replacement i was going to save the stock cat and reattach it before i take the smog test. Would this work and would i still be able to pass smog if i did this?

Thanks,

Francis

I was thinking about getting this Magnaflow replacement catalytic converter for my 94 and was wondering if it actually increases horsepower. I have a gibson cat-back on the car now. Has anyone had any experience with replacement cats? The link is here

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-muffl...1A4168A0A0.aspx

Also, if i got this, it would mean that i won't be able to pass smog becasue i live in california. But since this is a bolt-on replacement i was going to save the stock cat and reattach it before i take the smog test. Would this work and would i still be able to pass smog if i did this?

Thanks,

Francis

Where'd you get your gibson? How much was it, and did it help alot? I had one on before on my mercury mountaineer and loved it but I didn't even know they were available for this car too!

I too was thinking of doing the magna-flow cat so I would like to hear from peeps personal experience...

-Colby

Meets all EPA standards for states other than California

I'm quite sure there are Ca legal high flow cats available. Yes, just swapping back to the old one for smog tests would work, but is quite irresponsible.

B

Here is a link to a list of Ca legal replacement cats as of 1/09

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

Where'd you get your gibson? How much was it, and did it help alot? I had one on before on my mercury mountaineer and loved it but I didn't even know they were available for this car too!

I too was thinking of doing the magna-flow cat so I would like to hear from peeps personal experience...

-Colby

I ordered mine directly off the gibson website. They only list a cat-back system for the 93 model, but it fit fine on my 94. It was a little more than 300, including shipping, for the aluminized steel one and like 100 bucks more for the stainless steel one. I have the alu. steel and it works fine. I actually really like it and think it is worth the $300. Best part is that no welding was required so i installed it myself.

-Francis

magnaflow makes a CA model high flow, and magnaflow tries to desin their catylist to be as effective as stock. An older stock cat (mine was 20 yrs old) has deposits on the catylist that make emissions read higher hyrdocarbons esp if you've had a bad 02 sensor for a prolonged period of time. so a new cat from magnaflow may surpisingly do better.

magnaflow makes a CA model high flow, and magnaflow tries to desin their catylist to be as effective as stock. An older stock cat (mine was 20 yrs old) has deposits on the catylist that make emissions read higher hyrdocarbons esp if you've had a bad 02 sensor for a prolonged period of time. so a new cat from magnaflow may surpisingly do better.

Are the CA model high flow cats not as effective as the normal cats?

Are the CA model high flow cats not as effective as the normal cats?

I don't think they are truely any different, but they need to be certified, so you pay more for one with a certified stamp probably...just a guess :shrug: .

I don't think they are truely any different, but they need to be certified, so you pay more for one with a certified stamp probably...just a guess :shrug: .

I'd guess about the same, I don't think the ca model pathys had a differant cat, I think they had a more conservative ecm.

I'm quite sure there are Ca legal high flow cats available. Yes, just swapping back to the old one for smog tests would work, but is quite irresponsible.

B

Here is a link to a list of Ca legal replacement cats as of 1/09

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

I think the only problem in CA would come if you added Headers into the mix, most of any extra Emissions Control is under the hood. As long as your O2 sensor is good, and all the other sensors are in working order you should be ok. I was just reading the Haynes Repair Manual for 1987 thru 1995 Pathfinders and they highlight all of the CA Emissions stuff. I don't think a better flowing Cat works any less, it just flows better.

I think the only problem in CA would come if you added Headers into the mix, most of any extra Emissions Control is under the hood. As long as your O2 sensor is good, and all the other sensors are in working order you should be ok. I was just reading the Haynes Repair Manual for 1987 thru 1995 Pathfinders and they highlight all of the CA Emissions stuff. I don't think a better flowing Cat works any less, it just flows better.

just curous as to how headders would make emissons worse? Its the same amount of exhaust gas, just less resistance on the way out.

I thought the only reason headers get emissions certified is to say that they do not move the stock postiton of the catalytic converter.

The Nissan part numbers are different for Fed vs CA cats in FAST. 20802-83g27 for Fed 1993 and later, while 20802-88g27 for CA 1993 and later. I am not sure how different they are internally, but nissan went as far as to make them different part numbers. They typically don't do that unless there is a difference.