91 has trouble starting after its warmed up

busup

Aloha,

I am new to the pathfinder world, I bought one at a government auction & love the body style. Heres my problem, I have to assume this truck sat for almost 4 years, I changed the timing belt cause it was broken, replaced the fule filter & drained the fuel (smelled real bad) added sea foam to the tank & filled it up. Now, when it is cold, she starts right up & idles great, when I try to take a test drive, there is no power, & once shes warm, I have a hard time starting her up again. Any ideas out there??

After sitting that long you might want to get the injectors checked. You know what your filter was like, just imagine what that in a teeny tiny hole would be like. Sea foam is good, but it can only do so much. Another thing that would be smart to check is your plugs (and while they are out do a compression test), they could be fowled if the injectors aren't firing right. I mention the compression test because after sitting the rings might have scored the cylinders.

okay, I did a compression test and all cylinders are reading close to 160, plugs look ok but I'm gonna buy new ones & try it out. I did clean out the fuel system when I drained it, couldnt tell you when the belt broke cause it was that way when I got it but with that type compression I doubt I have a problem there. Thanks for the replies so far, still working it, also when driving it it kinda sounds like the trans is reving up, thinking about changin the filter & flush.

Heres another to ponder, I played around with the connection with the airflow meter (think thats what it is) just outside of the filter box, anyhow, car started briefly, but I dont know if it was coincidence or thats my problem now. Anyone wanna buy :headwall: a 91 pathfinder?? XE 4x4 :crossedwires:

OK, whats the CEL??

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9577

OK, you probably have a somewhat common issue with the MAF wiring. The wires can actually break off the connector inside the sleeve that covers them (usually the ground wire for some reason).

yeah, and be careful as the wire elements in ther are prett delicate.

Okay, I took off all the crap electrical tape wrapped around the connector & the wires look ok, I'm gonna repin them just to be safe, there are 3 wires to the sensor itself, there is also a bigger ground wire that goes to nowhere, should this be grounded? Just kidding about wanting to sell, I hope to be 4 wheeling soon, even though not a whole lot of places here in hawaii. Oh yea, no check eng light, do have my anti-lock light on though.

Edited by busup

Okay, I took off all the crap electrical tape wrapped around the connector & the wires look ok, I'm gonna repin them just to be safe, there are 3 wires to the sensor itself, there is also a bigger ground wire that goes to nowhere, should this be grounded? Just kidding about wanting to sell, I hope to be 4 wheeling soon, even though not a whole lot of places here in hawaii. Oh yea, no check eng light, do have my anti-lock light on though.

Yes....the ground should go somewhere. You can run it right to the battery if you like, that's what some folks do when they have MAF issues.

The anti-lock light just means you don't have functional ABS, but your brakes will otherwise still function normally. The main thing that goes out is the ABS sensor on the snout of the rear diff. (mine got shattered on a rock).

Yes....the ground should go somewhere. You can run it right to the battery if you like, that's what some folks do when they have MAF issues.

are the MAFs on battery side in the TBI models? i'd avoid running a wire across the top pf the motor on my truck.

are the MAFs on battery side in the TBI models? i'd avoid running a wire across the top pf the motor on my truck.

91s aren't TBI. :togo:

(BTW, the MAF is on the TB on the TBI models so dead center.)

Edited by GrimGreg

Aloha all, got another mind boggler to think about in my journey.....Today I took out the MAF & cleaned it, looks great, both elements still there & looked solid, Also changed the pins for the connector to make sure that wasnt my problem, then I got to thinking, why would I have spark & fuel but if I pull my plugs they would be wet??!! decided to check the distrib again and guess what, it was 180 off, now how the heck did that happen as it was running before, so I changed it around, tried to start & nothing, so I checked it again & bam 180 off again, this time I left it, changed my wires around to match and....VROOM, yup, she started, ran like crap but started. So as my saga continues, I put the distributor & wires back to original configuration, she runs, but wont idle good. Gave up for tonight as I started getting frustrated. Thinking of dropping my moped engine in there soon!!!! Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I did try & ground out that one wire but it never made a difference, I think it might be just a shield?? not sure, the 3 wires going to the connector are all good, this one is just bare wire wrapped around all 3, and yes, the MAF is opposite side of my battery unless thats not the MAF???? hhhmmmm......come to think of it, there is another sensor just outside the throttle body, I'll have to take a pic & post it later :scratchhead::headwall::suicide:

Edited by busup

Hey all, just thought I'd give a little update on my situation, I found out that my fuel pressure regulator is messing up, no one on island has it so I had to order, hopefully here by monday or so. Wil repost after I change and everything is good. :whistle:

I found out that my fuel pressure regulator is messing up, no one on island has it so I had to order,

For future reference, don't forget to check the classifieds here; there are several people parting out trucks... :shrug:

B