need help deciding

nissandoms47

k, i dont know what to do with my car situation. Which is why i came to the fellow board members. I always suck at making decisions like this. I want something with a solid axle for sure.

So

Should i buy this 99 jeep grand cherokee limited with the 4.7 v8? It has a custom 4" long arm front and rear with 285/75/16 toyo MTs Nice interior, heated seats SICK system etc.. he wants $5k for it.

Buy this 03 toyota 4runner. Ive always had a thing for the 4th gen 4runners and i found a black with tan interior for $8,600 with the 4.7 v8

Keep my r50 and deal with being ifs forever or try and sas it. But the r50s size has always bugged me. The jeep and 4runner are wider inside and longer.

Wow...5k for a custom Jeep GC sounds like a deal and a half and leaves room to do some more mods if you compare it with the 4Runner. And it has a front axle already...

The 4Runner is gonna cost more to make how you want it in the long run, but just like you, I have a thing for the 4Runner. And its always nice to do your own mods (even though having them done is SO convenient).

I would say take them both for a test drive. You'll know exactly wich one you'll like. But don't let the amenities bias you (like the system and heated seats!).

As for SAS'ing the R50, I'm sure Mr. Morgan could talk you away from that, but he might just sway you towards it also. He is really the only person here who could really speak on that matter (IMO).

Either way, good luck to you in making the right choice!

Jose

Alex - You dipstick, you know even if you go witht he Jeep or the Toy you are just gonna be right back here with another IFS unibody R50 again... its kind of like a black, you never really get away.

Jose - I'm sure if Alex got his head outta his as$ & really buckled down & got his sh!t together he could, over some time, pull off the SAS, even though Tyler is frustrated with the project right now. The boy's got skills.

And, on another note, Tyler - don't give up man, I wanna see that b!tch tear some sh!t up out there. You've gotta finish the beast!

I HIGHLY suggest not getting that Cherokee, because it's a '99. They redesigned them in '99. The '99s are HORRIBLE!

You WILL have MANY problems with it. WILL, WILL, WILL. If you are interested in a newer GC, get a 2000 or 2001.

I don't even want to remember the horror my grandparents bought new, which was such a headache at 54,000 miles when she sold it last year. Sooooo many problems, expensive problems. Their neighbor just sold off theirs last week after the same situation with their '99. Their '01 has been flawless.

Unless you got a lot of money to fix that '99, I'd say stay away from it.

Edited by kingman92010

Isn't the 03 runner IFS as well? I like em, but if thats the reason you want to get rid of the r50 would seem rather silly to trade it for another IFS rig. Only big difference would be moving from unibody to on frame.

And the ZJ is still a jeep ;) I don't really know too much about them but I know that some ZJs are serious lemons, might be worth researching them a bit further, and also finding out why the zj is so cheap.

If you're just looking for a change, I really like toys and would've bought one if there wasn't such a damn premium on them up here. What I personally like about the r50 over the runner is that it is smaller, runner has a lot of bulk.

Edited by Zibi

hmm... well, I would pick the yota over the heap myself...

But you tried to get away from the R50's once, and they called you back? Why dont you listen to the sweet songs they sing you???

Well I think that you should keep the pathy you have now and use it as a everyday driver, that has style!!!! And turn that WD you have into a SFA beater, one that you can haul or drive up to the trails and drive the crap out of and then tow it back with a rig that you know works well, and wont let you down. You have a sick pathy now, alot better then the average pathy so keep it

alex, the '99 GC and 4Runner are both IFS, so i don't see how that would help with your situation. the jeep and toyota, at least, have a decent aftermarket. have you considered an XJ Cherokee? they're one step better with the solid front axle, and the aftermarket is endless; that, and they're dirt cheap to get one, even in good to nice condition. i don't know what your budget is, but what about a Rubicon, or at least a Sahara Wrangler? i've been looking at jeeps for awhile now and you can get a low-mile '02-04 Rubicon for ~$15k. i ended up trading in my Titan Pro-4X for a '08 Jeep GC Overland CRD. it's not an incredible rock crawler due to limited ground clearance, but it does have some very clever computers (locking front/rear/center, but not selectable) and i think i'd be content with just a 4-6in lift and tires.

or, you can stick with nissan and get an R51 Pathy, and SAS it front and rear. you definitely have the fabrication skills, and it will undoubtedly and literally be one-of-a-kind!

Edited by alexrex20

i ended up trading in my Titan Pro-4X for a '08 Jeep GC Overland CRD. it's not an incredible rock crawler (no true lockers), but it does have some very clever computers and i think i'd be content with just a 4-6in lift and tires.

You wound up getting a jeep im sure that all of us would be intersted in seeing some pics!!!!!

You wound up getting a jeep im sure that all of us would be intersted in seeing some pics!!!!!

i'll post up some pics once i get some decent shots in the dirt. i've already taken it out to Spring Creek and the QuadraDrive II peformed flawlessly, 3- and 2-wheeling it over the flexy bits. :) it would drive circles around my R50, but don't tell that to F*ELER.

mmm didn't realise they rebadged it when they redesigned it in 99, either way I wouldn't get a newer grand cherokee. The plus side to getting an older XJ or ZJ is that even though they're unibody they came solid axle and have pretty good aftermarket support, especially the XJs. They're a lot cheaper to lift, though what you save in mods you'll pay in mechanical bills. Either way theres a ton of lifted XJs and a few ZJs around here, though I've never seen a lifted WJ. Most people are scared to wheel their pretty newer trucks.

I could be wrong... but I'm almost positive the WJ grand cherokees were SFA. I thought they changed to IFS with the WK(?)

yall are right. ZJ/WJ are still SFA. i could've sworn i've looked under a ZJ before and saw IFS! :scratchhead:

But the r50s size has always bugged me. The jeep and 4runner are wider inside and longer.

You know. i took my pathfinder off road today (i'll post a couple pics) and the size actually comforts me. When i used to go with my buddies in ther Toy's I always felt uneasy about how much i slie around, and the idea of rolling (wich i've seen one too many times) with all that space to bang around in bothers me. But thats just me (i am not that big at only 5'8 and 165).

I like both the Jeeps and the 4runners....but i also like to be different and build Sh*t myself...reason why i've kept the R50. Main reason was where, and how often i off road it....I take it to the desert 99% of the time which is mostly sand and some rocks and never have any serious mud, so i don't really see the need to do a SAS on it YET!

I know i'm not much help, but my two cents........