What does a squealing at startup indicate?

BobLoblaw

It never squeals on the first start of the day - it seems to happen on the 2nd or third start-up (when warm). This has been happening for about a month now. Recently, I have noticed a noise (squeal/whine) from the engine compartment while driving that seems to build with the RPMs and drop when I shift; buiding again as RPMs increase.

My pathy is just killing me right now - running rich, IACV problems, squealing etc. What a headache! /rant

Alt belt? When it's squealing try holding a wax candle (unlite) on it, just to lube it a little, and see if that shuts it up :beer:

The squeal happens for about 2 sec right when you start the car, then goes away. I just noticed this new noise while driving yesterday but it doesn't seem to squeal when idling, just when driving down the street. I hope it's the belt, because that is relatively cheap! Do any other parts cause a squeal?

Edited by BobLoblaw

belts as everyone has said...i replaced all 3 dirve belts b4 driving to CA and by the time I got out here they had stretched (loosens them) so I went back and tightened them all up so they had the right deflections (dont have the fancy guage) but yea more than likely its a belt slipping under the initial cranking of the engine and then it'll grab (stops squealing)

my old one sqealed alot and i replaced the belts thinking it was that and it ended up being the bearing on my alternator. about 2 months later my alternator seized up when i was driving and my battery died and wrecked my new belt

Belts. I replaced all my belts when I changed my timing belt.

Before the change they didn't squeal, a month after they do at

startup and randomly while driving. The belts I replaced with are after-market.

Someone (on here) said OEM belts won't start to squeal unless

worn out. My next belts will be OEM.

Kelley

That's for all the suggestions guys. My A/C isn;t connected at all so that eliminates one. I sprayed each pulley (as best I could) with non-flammable penetrating lubricant and the squeal stopped fat startup. The truck actually didn't start right after I did it (not sure why), then it coughed to life - maybe the belts were too slick? The problem is that the sqeal comes back at high RPM before I shift out of 1st and 2nd. Why just these gears?

That's for all the suggestions guys. My A/C isn;t connected at all so that eliminates one. I sprayed each pulley (as best I could) with non-flammable penetrating lubricant and the squeal stopped fat startup. The truck actually didn't start right after I did it (not sure why), then it coughed to life - maybe the belts were too slick? The problem is that the sqeal comes back at high RPM before I shift out of 1st and 2nd. Why just these gears?

Thinking about it, the engine doesn't have to work as hard in those gears. So it can rev out fast (and the pulley can't keep up), but in the high gears it takes a lot more power out of the engine. Sound logical? :D

Thinking about it, the engine doesn't have to work as hard in those gears. So it can rev out fast (and the pulley can't keep up), but in the high gears it takes a lot more power out of the engine. Sound logical? :D

Ummmm.....lol....I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The engine works harder in 1st and 2nd, right, to get the truck going? Because it's working harder, something is squealing at high revs in 1st and 2nd gear. Is that what you mean? If so, would this be because the belt is loose or the pulley is squealing? It's actually kind tough to fit a can of PB Blaster into the engine compartment low enough to give the pulley and accurate spray. Know any tricks?

It never squeals on the first start of the day - it seems to happen on the 2nd or third start-up (when warm). This has been happening for about a month now. Recently, I have noticed a noise (squeal/whine) from the engine compartment while driving that seems to build with the RPMs and drop when I shift; buiding again as RPMs increase.

My pathy is just killing me right now - running rich, IACV problems, squealing etc. What a headache! /rant

loose accessory belt.

Ummmm.....lol....I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The engine works harder in 1st and 2nd, right, to get the truck going? Because it's working harder, something is squealing at high revs in 1st and 2nd gear. Is that what you mean? If so, would this be because the belt is loose or the pulley is squealing? It's actually kind tough to fit a can of PB Blaster into the engine compartment low enough to give the pulley and accurate spray. Know any tricks?

I need and English to American translator :lol: j/k

Ok, try taking off in 2nd gear and see if it squeaks :aok:

Either tighten or replace your acc belts, end of story.

They aren't that dear, so just replace them all :aok:

I need and English to American translator :lol: j/k

Ok, try taking off in 2nd gear and see if it squeaks :aok:

Either tighten or replace your acc belts, end of story.

They aren't that dear, so just replace them all :aok:

:laugh: I think the problem is on my end, I'm not naturally inclined to auto repair, but I'm trying to learn!

This might sound dumb, but which belt is the accessory belt!??! Is the belt tightening screw easy to locate. I've changed belt on my 280zx before and the adjuster screw was in a fairly easy spot, but I've never even looked on this pathy.

It's -20C right now!! Damn, I hate these problems.

:laugh: I think the problem is on my end, I'm not naturally inclined to auto repair, but I'm trying to learn!

It's ok....NO ONE was born with knowledge :aok:

This might sound dumb, but which belt is the accessory belt!??! Is the belt tightening screw easy to locate. I've changed belt on my 280zx before and the adjuster screw was in a fairly easy spot, but I've never even looked on this pathy.

Acc belts are alt, power steering and air con

P/S adjuster is a bit of a PITA. You need to undo the locking bolt just in behind the pulley on the under side. Then you can tighten the adjuster bolt through the inner guard (about the easiest way to get at it). I couldn't get on to the adjuster bolt so I just pulled the pump over till it was tight enough then tightened up the lock bolt :D

Alt adjuster: Piece of cake...... under the alternator

Air con: adjusted on the idler bearing, undo the nut in the centre of the idler bearing and then tighten the bolt running down the back of it. MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE NUT UP WHEN YOUR DONE.......and don't ask :D

Reason for edit....There is no cake under the alternator :lol:

Edited by TerranoNZ

• 3 weeks later...
It's ok....NO ONE was born with knowledge :aok:

Acc belts are alt, power steering and air con

P/S adjuster is a bit of a PITA. You need to undo the locking bolt just in behind the pulley on the under side. Then you can tighten the adjuster bolt through the inner guard (about the easiest way to get at it). I couldn't get on to the adjuster bolt so I just pulled the pump over till it was tight enough then tightened up the lock bolt :D

Alt adjuster: Piece of cake...... under the alternator

Air con: adjusted on the idler bearing, undo the nut in the centre of the idler bearing and then tighten the bolt running down the back of it. MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE NUT UP WHEN YOUR DONE.......and don't ask :D

Reason for edit....There is no cake under the alternator :lol:

As a quick update, I tightened the adjuster bolt under the alternator and it fixed the squeal! Awesome, thank guys.

I noticed there was another bolt (12mm) on the adjuster part. Is that for large adjustments when actually changing belts?

i might mean that youre pulleys does not have texture or grip... at least thats happening with mine... i think im gonna change them all, ive tried a few remedies, but nothing seems to work anymore than any minutes :crossedwires:

do you remember to feed your hamsters in the morning? they may be getting hungry after the initial cold jog on the wheel, or maybe the exercise wheel is worn out, sometimes they squeak when worn. i had to take my hamsters wheel away at night because they are nocturnal animals and the damn thing would run on his wheel all night long. :shrug: