Ecu Self-diagnostics For 87-95 Pathfinder

88pathoffroad

i just diagnosed my 93 pathfinder and it blinked both once,long pause blinked both twice,pause,blinked both three times,pause,blinked both four times,pause,and blinked both five times,can anyone figure that out?

• 2 weeks later...

checked my codes today so I decidced to make a quick video as well for those may get a little confused what they are watching for

first part is the mode selection part, I let it cycle 2 full times first just to see the 'full cycle' (1-2-3-4-5) on the 3rd cycle I switched to mode 3 and let it cycle my codes twice. Watching the flashes you will see I have a code 13 (coolant temp sensor), a code 21 (ignition signal), and a code 11 (crank angle/cam position sensor) Hope it helps someone a little

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I wish I would have watched this first, my '95 WD21 behaved identically, took me a good 1/2 hour to figure it out. The instructions threw me off a bit because per them, only the VG30i behaves this way and has a toggle swtich, not a screw, and doesn't specify returning to normal position after the 3 flashes. Regardless the info was still invaluable, thanks to the OP!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Just found this online:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Nissan/88-9495pthqust/

The CEL came on on my way to work this morning. Used this thread to diagnose the issue, but, this site to define the code.

The code that is being "tossed" is a 34, happens to be a knock sensor, not gonna worry about it til it becomes an issue.

The question is, will it? I'm unsure, but, guess I'll find out. Any other clues?

Redneck, GEARHEAD, fabricator, are just a few of my "specialties"....

Bubba says it all!!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest johnnjanet

my 95 gives me an error code of 51 means injector circuit. How do I find out if it is only one injector and which one or should I be looking at the main feed?

If you can trace the wiring in the EL section of the service manual, you'll find the plug for the injectors, and from there you can check with a multimeter to see which injector isn't reading right. :clickdalink: IIRC it's one of the plugs on the thing sticking up from the passenger's valve cover.

• 6 months later...

what is a mech-v260-a1-4831

'how get codes off mecm v260', engine light on, I have pulled the seat, but can't find any lights or tabs...Help I can't get my car smogged

there should be 2 led's facing the rear seat, one red and one green... unless your ECU is different than mine. I've never looked at the 'model' and just assumed all of the 94/95's were the same

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the info provided in this post. I had no idea there was a unit under the passenger set. The last person who owned the vehicle put carpet over the unit and it could not be seen until I removed the front seat and pulled the carpet back. Code shows Crank Angle Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor error (1-red, 1-green), after checking prices on the sensor, im hoping there is something else going on and it dont have to be replaced. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2007 at 5:28 PM, EvilErnie95 said:

Get check engine light, Check codes get EGR Function? Is this an issue or should I live with it?

Thanks For the Diagnostic Info It is really helpful and well done.

What does EGR mean in laymans terms.

EGR = Exhaust gas recirculation. It pipes exhaust gas into the intake when you're cruising to make the engine run a little more efficiently.

The power output of an engine depends on how much air it can suck in (and mix with fuel and burn). You control the engine's output using the throttle, which is just an air valve. When you're cruising, the throttle's not open much, and the engine isn't putting out much power. Foot to the floor, the throttle's wide open, and the engine puts out everything it's got. There's a problem with this. When the throttle's not fully open, the engine is fighting for air, and that fight causes what's called pumping loss. The engine is fighting to breathe, and that fight is wasting energy.

To reduce pumping loss, we can let the engine breathe something that isn't air to make up for the air we don't want it to have. Exhaust gas is basically inert as far as the engine cares. It's burned already. It doesn't change the fuel mixture--it just fills space. Basically, it makes a big engine at partial throttle act more like a little engine running wide open by filling the displacement the engine isn't using with exhaust gas. The computer shuts off the EGR when you floor it, of course, and also at idle.

From what I've read, these do run a little better with the EGR system than without it, provided it's working properly. Mine works, so I haven't had a reason to mess with it beyond replacing the vacuum lines and cleaning out some carbon deposits (it is exhaust gas, it isn't exactly clean) when I had my intake off anyway. There's a diagnostic procedure in the service manual if yours is acting up or throwing codes.

• 1 year later...

My 1988 Pathfinder VG30i gave me a 55 (no malfunction) today, however there is a vacuum leak that might be causing the idle do rev up and down (approximately 1700-2500). I chased it down to behind the throttle body. Should I take it off and try to tighten it down again or look for something else?