Engine swap...

tekazgtr1984

I've been doing some serious thinking in regards to the whole diesel engine swap in '98 and as awesome the potential could be, it's just becoming more and more expensive with what I'd like to get out of a diesel... :(

That being said, I'd still like to do an engine swap as the VG33E leaves me wanting so much more. That doesn't mean I hate the VG; it's just not for me with what I'm hoping to get outta my R50.

I'm currently debating a VG30DETT out of the Z32 Fairlady (300ZX)... :scratchhead:

does nissan make a stright 6??? that would be a nice swap....cant kill a stright 6....

Uh, the RB? I've considered dropping a RB26DETT N1 into the Pathy... That would cost more than double than a diesel swap...

But yes, an inline-6 in a Pathy could be pretty ridonkulous...

Why don't you just buy a different kind of truck? You've got really big ideas for a platform that has almost no aftermarket support. tmorgan has done some incredible stuff, but he's obviously a talented fabricator. I mean you're getting into stuff like an expensive SFD which is basically just a glorified body lift for a unibody vehicle (given that a body lift for a common on frame vehicle is quite cheap), swapping climate control systems, dropping in new engines. I could understand it if you had the tools and abilities to do it yourself and were taking it on as a personal hobby, but you're going to end up dropping an assfskc of money for what is essentially going to be a lifted Q45.

I work with money so I see it from that perspective, and you're going to end up dropping a lot of money you don't need to. If you want the 3.5 and all the fancy new features, buy a newer pathy or a Q. If you want the diesel, or base to do realistically do radical groundbreaking things to, then buy a WD21 or import a Terrano.

I mean I love my R50, but if I wanted to run a diesel with 35s and sufficient ground clearance to run with the big boys then I'd get a cruiser or something similar. Unless you can justify the money, because the stuff you're talking about, and the means by which you intend to do it is going to require a whole lot of it.

You should see the turbo kit the shop across the street from mine built on a VG33E Frontier! I'll have to get a picture of it sometime. I can't remember the HP gain on it but it was pretty substantial but still reliable.

Why don't you just buy a different kind of truck? You've got really big ideas for a platform that has almost no aftermarket support. tmorgan has done some incredible stuff, but he's obviously a talented fabricator. I mean you're getting into stuff like an expensive SFD which is basically just a glorified body lift for a unibody vehicle (given that a body lift for a common on frame vehicle is quite cheap), swapping climate control systems, dropping in new engines. I could understand it if you had the tools and abilities to do it yourself and were taking it on as a personal hobby, but you're going to end up dropping an assfskc of money for what is essentially going to be a lifted Q45.

I work with money so I see it from that perspective, and you're going to end up dropping a lot of money you don't need to. If you want the 3.5 and all the fancy new features, buy a newer pathy or a Q. If you want the diesel, or base to do realistically do radical groundbreaking things to, then buy a WD21 or import a Terrano.

I mean I love my R50, but if I wanted to run a diesel with 35s and sufficient ground clearance to run with the big boys then I'd get a cruiser or something similar. Unless you can justify the money, because the stuff you're talking about, and the means by which you intend to do it is going to require a whole lot of it.

I have big ideas because I want something that will stick out and be totally unique (that's essentially vehicle customization). I know I don't have the expertise of Tyler (Morgan) but that's why I'm here on NPORA: to learn and understand what my limits are both creatively and money-wise. If I didn't value other enthusiasts' information, I would just experiment with it myself. And I'm also here to put my ideas out there for others to consider and possibly get some feedback and other opinions. And I may not own all the tools or a shop like some of the members on here but I do have access to what I need to make this work.

For your information, I have a SFD being built for my R50 and it's already been paid for (which isn't all that "glorified" as you put it). If Jeep enthusiasts can SFD their rig, then surely doing the same to the R50 is a worthy cause. The OEM digital climate control system is just a thought; it's not going to kill me financially to find one and install it as it is a direct fit in the R50. If I don't do it then I'll live with my dials. An engine swap is something to consider for any vehicle but it isn't a necessity. The VG33E does the job for me; I'd like to explore other options to make my rig unique from the rest. The JDM diesel option is totally feasible; I just need a good $5,000 to make it work. The VG30DETT is also feasible, but about $2,000 cheaper.

Furthermore, I also work with money, so you're not the only one with that "perspective". You telling me to buy a new R50, or a WD21 Terrano isn't going to dissuade me from this; on the contrary. The more I hear people say to me "impossible", the more I want to go through with this. Take a look at the JDM R50 from '96'-'99 and you'll see just how much advanced OEM gear was kept in Japan (6" SFD kits, turbo diesel upgrade kits, etc. just to name a couple).

And who said I want to run 35's? Not me. My plan is 33's and a decent engine to push 'em. I'm not about "running with the big boys"; the R50 has already proven itself for what I'd like out of an off-road vehicle.

I'm aware of the financial barriers with custom-building any vehicle; if it takes time, so be it. This is what I'd like to achieve with my R50; impossible is nothing. And if I wanted a different truck, I wouldn't have bought a R50. I'm new to the off-road world and sound like a huge newb. If that's an issue for you then don't read my posts.

You should see the turbo kit the shop across the street from mine built on a VG33E Frontier! I'll have to get a picture of it sometime. I can't remember the HP gain on it but it was pretty substantial but still reliable.

That crossed my mind too. If you could post some pics that'd be great! Thanks :aok:

if i wanted something that everyone else has id go buy a new JK, if i wanted something unique, ill stick with my r50. Whats the point of going to a dealer and buying an off the lot car that will do whatever you want it to for 40k when you could buy an r50 and do what you want to do it and see you build it over time and have a ton of fun.

if i wanted something that everyone else has id go buy a new JK, if i wanted something unique, ill stick with my r50. Whats the point of going to a dealer and buying an off the lot car that will do whatever you want it to for 40k when you could buy an r50 and do what you want to do it and see you build it over time and have a ton of fun.

Thank you Alex! :D

At least SOME people can understand my ideas. :aok:

Here here!

That being said, I'd still like to do an engine swap as the VG33E leaves me wanting so much more. That doesn't mean I hate the VG; it's just not for me with what I'm hoping to get outta my R50.

I'm currently debating a VG30DETT out of the Z32 Fairlady (300ZX)... :scratchhead:

um... why not keep your 3.3 block when you get the vg30dett and make a vg33dett? find a really thick head gasket (I think somone out there makes em for 3.3 swapped 300zx's) and you should be fine.

EDIT;

I don't like turbos, IMO you should go for the VG33ER conversion(xterrra/frontier supercharger) better tq band, better throttle respose, More liekly to fit under the hood compared to DOHC heads and I hear those are reall mean with an overdrive pulley.

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm not trying to dissuade you from it, its just a rather unique goal that I don't understand. I have a good friend who happens to have a fair amount of money, and he likes to spend that money building show cars. But he's not the type to drive them, once they're built he gets bored and sells them and starts a new one. To be honest, I don't understand that either.

I love my pathy because it's different, but I can't understand spending that much money to achieve something you could do for significantly less. But I guess if I understood that I wouldn't work as an accountant.

Either way, keep the enthusiasm :aok:

EDIT;

I don't like turbos, IMO you should go for the VG33ER conversion(xterrra/frontier supercharger) better tq band, better throttle respose, More liekly to fit under the hood compared to DOHC heads and I hear those are reall mean with an overdrive pulley. [/i]

Been tried before. The supercharger sticks about 4" above the hood...not exactly stealthy.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from it, its just a rather unique goal that I don't understand. I have a good friend who happens to have a fair amount of money, and he likes to spend that money building show cars. But he's not the type to drive them, once they're built he gets bored and sells them and starts a new one. To be honest, I don't understand that either.

I love my pathy because it's different, but I can't understand spending that much money to achieve something you could do for significantly less. But I guess if I understood that I wouldn't work as an accountant.

Either way, keep the enthusiasm :aok:

Thanks, without the enthusiasm it'd just be a stock Pathfinder. :thumbsdown:

Before I go through with any big mods, I have to balance out the pro's and con's. That's basically the reason why I've put forth my ideas on NPORA: the more I know, the better a decision can be made. Money's always a big factor; hopefully I can keep my plans within reason. :scratchhead:

And you're right, I could modify a different platform for probably a lot less to get similar results. But knowing me, I'd want to make other costly mods anyway. I've got some expensive tastes... :lol:

Stick with your ideas, live by the built not bought phrase. It's your truck, your money, your time-build it how YOU want. Who in what area of automotive likings(4wheelers-drag racers-show cars-any sanction of the lifestyle) don't people think of motor swaps? I've got plenty of dumb motor swap ideas that most people would say why bother too.

How about a 4.3L Vortec swap? Or go obscure and find an older Ford 260V8, they are quite small and were found in some little British car, I think it was a Sunbeam Tiger. The vortec has great torque and pretty abundant in wreckers.

Maybe look into having a custom camshaft ground for the engine that you have? Could be a cheap way to wake up your engine. That and an after market exhaust system could get you maybe 20% more power.

Stick with your ideas, live by the built not bought phrase. It's your truck, your money, your time-build it how YOU want. Who in what area of automotive likings(4wheelers-drag racers-show cars-any sanction of the lifestyle) don't people think of motor swaps? I've got plenty of dumb motor swap ideas that most people would say why bother too.

Cheers to that bro! :beer:

How about a 4.3L Vortec swap? Or go obscure and find an older Ford 260V8, they are quite small and were found in some little British car, I think it was a Sunbeam Tiger. The vortec has great torque and pretty abundant in wreckers.

Maybe look into having a custom camshaft ground for the engine that you have? Could be a cheap way to wake up your engine. That and an after market exhaust system could get you maybe 20% more power.

I considered the 4.3L Vortec as it's easy to find and relatively affordable. If I end up doing a swap, I'd aim for a Nissan engine just to maintain the theme... Yeah, I'm a putz like that. :lol:

I definitely plan on doing exhaust regardless of a swap, only because I have a hook-up locally who has offered to help me out. I thought of internal mods for the VG33E; if anything, I'd still do the swap and then beef up the VG once it were out. Then my plan was to find a D21 HB and drop it in there. :aok:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

you know them things will run on straight vegetable oil.... ask indigent he had a tdi terrano once

Yup, that's definitely an awesome benefit. There's a Hilux Surf 2.4TDi here, the owner made a custom filter/reservoir kit in his garage for vegetable oil from fast food joints. Like bio-diesel!

In other news, I've put the engine swap plans on hiatus. New plan is to supercharge the VG33E! :jig:

That, SFD and 33's it should be something nastaaaaay! :happy:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I REALLY wish I still had my old VG33 laying around. It would be cool to build an intake manifold that would allow a bigger supercharger than stock. Like the one L&P built with a M90.

Let me know if you need help with parts and I'll try to help out. It would be soo much easier if I still had that engine laying around, though. I didn't have the space to keep it and I had to give it away. :headwall: