My lift is Half Done, And thats all that I can do

01silvapathy

So I TRIED to insatll a lift with some friends over this weekend. The hubs were super easy and took all of a hour total, and they make the pathy glide, and roll alot better. The rear was not too bad, the one major problem that we ran into was with the bumb stops. When backing out the bolt, it decided to snap half way out. Keep in mind that the coil was still on at the time. Anyways we had to get off the coil and drill out the rest of the bolt, and re-tap and thread it so we could reinstall it with all new harward. That took us an extra hour to accomplish :thumbsdown: Anyways then we bolted back on the new shock ect on the back. Next we went onto the front. Tis where we started to run into the major problems. I dont know how Nissan managed to get those damn bolts that hold on the bottom of the strut so damn tight? We broke 2 yes 2 torque wrenches trying to take off the bolts, and even tried using a breaker bar, but no beans. Next we tried to use the impact wrench, and even all those 350 ft/lbs of torque could not get that bolt loose. So then we tried heating it and even that didnt work. So in the end we wound up just leaving the front struts ect. stock. Im going on monday to 4wheel parts and they said that they would install it for cheap, saves me the hassle, and the breaking of tools

here are some pics

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

P1000031.jpg

Stock height

IMG_0940.jpg

Rear lift

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Very Sweet!!! Are those Chev truck rims?

Those new shocks look wicked.

Why were you trying to break free the strut bolts with a torque wrench?

Yes they are chevy truck rims off of a 99 its my friends that helped me install the lift heres a pic of their truck now, just says its alittle different lol

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

An we figured why no, a cheater bar usually works wonders, but that time it just kinda snapped the wrench lol, it was a shocker

Why were you trying to break free the strut bolts with a torque wrench?

That was goeing to be my question, why use a torque wrench to remove? The gm z-71 wheels don't look to shabby either. Just get that nose pointed in the right direction!

Damn I didn't have any trouble up front with my stuts when I did my lift. But a torque wrench?... come on big guy

No dude you have no idea the guys im working with on this project arent exactly small guys and even they were having a hard time, Even heat didnt do shat. So ill make it some guy at a shops problem lol :scratchhead:

No dude you have no idea the guys im working with on this project arent exactly small guys and even they were having a hard time, Even heat didnt do shat. So ill make it some guy at a shops problem lol :scratchhead:

so you have big guys that can't break the bolts loose with a breaker bar, so yall decide to use a torque wrench? that's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

You got the extended shocks right andrew? 29-30 inches extended? It would suck if you had to buy new shocks again haha. And i hate how you have no snow...

Yes i did get the extended shocks they extend fully to 32 inches so its all good, And yeah fo sho no snow sucks but it was 70 degrees when we were installing the lift :itsallgood:

so you have big guys that can't break the bolts loose with a breaker bar, so yall decide to use a torque wrench? that's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

So what would you suggest? We tried everything

The torque wrench is more of a precision tool. Its use isn't putting out a huge amount of force, but rather letting you know when you reach a certain amount of torque so that you can tighten things correctly. It doesn't give you any more torque than a breaker bar of the same length. The comments are because ya basically wasted two potentially expensive, precision tools for no gain at all. I can't give you any advice for getting it loose, but next time, leave the torque wrenches for putting it back together.

Next time, you might want to try a longer "cheater" pipe on your breaker bar, or higher PSI for the impact, or a bigger impact wrench, but definitely leave the torque wrenches in their boxes. You might also want to soak the bolts and nuts with a good penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc) for a day or more before trying to break them loose. If the lift kit comes with new bolts and nuts, there is always the option of cutting the old ones off with a grinder/cutoff wheel setup.

But please, please, leave the torque wrenches in their boxes.

SteveM.

As for getting them out, i find that if they're in an area you can get a torch, even a mapp torch, some heat always works miracles. Heat them up good, when you think they're hot enough, heat them a bit more. They'll usually back out then. JUST BE AWARE OF THE AREA SURROUNDING THEM FOR POTENTIAL FLAMMABLES!!! ie. grease, rubber, plastic, fuel etc.,etc.

Torque wrench no. Heat Yes.

Pete

I make it a habit to never use a torque wrench to loosten bolts for that very reason...my 1/2" impact gun didnt break it loose either, but I borrowed my uncles larger one (3/4", 1"?) and bought a deep well 22mm socket from the local auto parts store, and it took them off with NO hesitation, it didn't even have to try hard...

How big are those tires on the chev rim? They look massive on the stock suspension up front...

I make it a habit to never use a torque wrench to loosten bolts for that very reason...my 1/2" impact gun didnt break it loose either, but I borrowed my uncles larger one (3/4", 1"?) and bought a deep well 22mm socket from the local auto parts store, and it took them off with NO hesitation, it didn't even have to try hard...

How big are those tires on the chev rim? They look massive on the stock suspension up front...

Yeah they are 32's they should fit though, and we were using a 1/2 inch impact and that didnt do a thing, and we did really soak them in wd40 and didnt help heat even barely budged it. Another thing we had a problem with it the bolt that holds on the arm with the hex key in the end, well we didnt know that your supposed to hold that whild loosening in and as a result we stripped the siht outta it, and now most likely it will have to be cut off and replaced. Its just as if King Kong himself tightened them. And i have a appointment at 4wheel parts for them to do it. Since I have to leave for school on thursday I really have no time to work on it myself. So its going to cost around 200 bucks :headwall: Im pretty pissed that just 4 bolts really are costing me that much.

Damn man, sorry to hear you gotta pay someone...mine took the huge impact gun that i could barely hold in one hand...and those damn sway bar links are a pain, and as soon as you remove them and reinstall them they will start clunking (all 4 of mine did)...Do you have the camber bolt already for the alignment?

And as a side note, how do you like the Cross Terrains? I picked up a set of 265/70R17 for $40 with maybe 10k left on them just to test fit the tire size...I have always liked the LTX M/S and would LOVE a set of A/T2's for my X rims...

Damn man, sorry to hear you gotta pay someone...mine took the huge impact gun that i could barely hold in one hand...and those damn sway bar links are a pain, and as soon as you remove them and reinstall them they will start clunking (all 4 of mine did)...Do you have the camber bolt already for the alignment?

And as a side note, how do you like the Cross Terrains? I picked up a set of 265/70R17 for $40 with maybe 10k left on them just to test fit the tire size...I have always liked the LTX M/S and would LOVE a set of A/T2's for my X rims...

Yeah the cross terrains are nice, though they wear fast and unevenly i have gone through 2 sets and they arent cheap either, lucky to get 40k out of them

i have the LTX A/T2 on mine and they are awesome. they're a great highway tire (though they do make a little bit of noise, but more of a hum, not a groan) and still work exceptionally well off-road. they look good, as well. the major downside is the price, but i got the hookup from my buddy at discount tire. they're priced comparable to BFG A/Ts but IMO, the BFGs suck on the highway and are even worse in the rain.

Yeah they are 32's they should fit though, and we were using a 1/2 inch impact and that didnt do a thing, and we did really soak them in wd40 and didnt help heat even barely budged it. Another thing we had a problem with it the bolt that holds on the arm with the hex key in the end, well we didnt know that your supposed to hold that whild loosening in and as a result we stripped the siht outta it, and now most likely it will have to be cut off and replaced. Its just as if King Kong himself tightened them. And i have a appointment at 4wheel parts for them to do it. Since I have to leave for school on thursday I really have no time to work on it myself. So its going to cost around 200 bucks :headwall: Im pretty pissed that just 4 bolts really are costing me that much.

I guess the 99.5+ are a bit diferent or something cause like I said mine wasn't that hard & I took off my rear sway bar & everything then too. It only took me like 2 & 1/2 to maybe 3 hours to do all of it. That sucks that its causing you so much trouble

Hey, just thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

I had a little problem removing those lower bolts too. I think I ended up using a lot of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil and let it soak in good and then used an 18" breaker bar with a pipe over it so that it was like 3-4 ft long and I stepped/jumped on the end of the bar to get them to break loose. (note: using a breaker bar with a pipe on it to get extra length almost always works, usually I'll do this if the impact doesn't work) I have a 1/2" impact and that wouldn't break them loose but worked good to remove them once they started to turn.

I never use a torque wrench to remove bolts, only to tighten them.

I didn't notice the little hex key thing on the end of the sway bar link either, so I screwed up the drivers side one removing it and then did it properly on the passenger side. Now my drivers side one clunks over every bump, I'll have to replace it at some point...

Nice to see you attempted to do it yourself and were able to get it mostly done. Too bad you couldn't complete the job.. Post pics once its all done!

Well I got the pathy back from the shop this morning and it was good and bad news lol. The good news, they got the new struts installed, and replaced a drivers side strut bearing for free, and also a sway bar bolt since we stripped the siht outta one when we tried to install it. But the bad news...they could not mount the BFG's due to clearance issues with the strut tower. So with that said its still on the cross terrains. But the pathy feels like a completely new vehicle, it looks and feels mucho better! Though the topping out when i first went over a bump scared the hell outta me lol. The plans are to wait until I get the SFD from Alex and once that goes on get some new wheels and 33 inch tires....but that prolly wont happen until summer :rant2: Just kidding alex love u dude :hugs: So here are some pics i will have some flexy pics tomorrow :lmao:

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-3.jpg

I imagine you'll have the same rubbing issues with the 33s and the sfd, since the wheels are still the same distance from the struts. If you're going to buy new rims anyway why don't you just buy them now, mount the 32s on them, and roll like that for a month or whenever you get the SFD

looks good @!*% though

Edited by Zibi

Yeah for sure I was thinking about doing that but then I realized that im not going to be able to put on the SFD untill summer or Easter break and if I wait that long then I can save up even more money and get the 16's instead of 15's and the more expensive wheels so its whatevs, besides now with smaller tires i can get more flex lol :tongue: