Burning Oil smell

prginocx

you can leak all you want without any problems as long as you make sure the oil level is good. Problem is that you are complaining about the oil smell. So... you can either fix the problem, live with the problem, or get creative about a solution.

1. really strong air freshener (or really good bean burritos depending on the aroma you are going for)

2. fashion a drip pan or shield to keep it off the exhaust

3. drill and tap the housing where the oil collects and run some tubing to let it drain somewhere else

4. etc....

Isn't that rebuilding the whole engine ? Can't it last for a while ?

no...its a lot of work but far from rebuilding the whole engine

A friend of mine wrapped tin foil around the exhaust crossover on his old heep thick enough (almost a full roll i think) that the heat didnt get hot enough to burn off the oil so it ran around the foil and dripped off without burning but honestly I don't see how you can smell it burning off of the Xover pipe...mine is leaking pretty bad (its coated the whole underside of the truck) and i don't smell burning oil and my nose is like a freakin police K9s

now I would think you could smell burning oil if you spilled oil after hte last oil change and it dropped on the RH manifold or if your valve covers have loosened up and its dripping off the back corners onto the exhaust

no...its a lot of work but far from rebuilding the whole engine

A friend of mine wrapped tin foil around the exhaust crossover on his old heep thick enough (almost a full roll i think) that the heat didnt get hot enough to burn off the oil so it ran around the foil and dripped off without burning but honestly I don't see how you can smell it burning off of the Xover pipe...mine is leaking pretty bad (its coated the whole underside of the truck) and i don't smell burning oil and my nose is like a freakin police K9s

now I would think you could smell burning oil if you spilled oil after hte last oil change and it dropped on the RH manifold or if your valve covers have loosened up and its dripping off the back corners onto the exhaust

Ah, crap, I should have told the truth from the beginning, its actually my GF who is complaining about the smell. I just didn't want all you guys razzing me 'bout it...I'm letting her drive the truck 'cause of the snow, and she has a 2 wheel drive Xterra.

I barely see any reduction in the engine oil level. Is it possible the leak is from the Tranny ?

crawl under and check it out...oil tends to run down from anywhere and get to the Xover pipe...maybe you're lucky and its just the valve covers...

If your tranny was leaking you'd know the difference in the fluid just by the smell (I like to think of gear oil as a strong onion smell) it cannot be mistaken for the smell of oil (unless its old sludged oil that can be kinda potent too)

Ahh its ok to let the gf drive the truck...I let the ex drive mine maybe a total of 6 times in the 4 years we dated but she enjoyed driving it (and wheeling in it) but we were both in the same...i drove her integra (embarassing low rider with a fart cannon) when the white truck died and she was heading out of town for a week and i had no way of getting around and I drove her Jetta a couple of times and she drove my camry a couple times...but our cars were our cars and noone else really drove them...I can say she is the only person besides me to drive my 87 since I purchased it from a guy when i was 16

you'd know the difference between engine & trans fluids....... i'd say yer valve cover is leaking. have you checked if there's oil on the back of the vc's? have you also checked to make sure you OPS isn't loose and leaking, or your oil filter? i'd also tell her "ya don't like the smell, drive yer own rig"

The oil is coming from a tiny rectangular hole at the very bottom where the engine mates with the Tranny. It is not coming from anywhere else 'cause I got under there and cleaned everything up really good, and then after a drive that is the only place where fresh oil appears. There is a tiny bit of oil on the little device that sticks out of the side of the transmission slightly farther back. This device has a cable on it, I kinda assumed it was related to the clutch.

The reason I ask about the tranny is because I believe the oil is the same as engine oil, this is a 5spd. It looks black like used engine oil, though...

I did find the shift lever boot kinda loose, I guess I'll wrench on that a bit...I don't want to glue it down, 'cause I know someday I'll be taking it off...

The reason I ask about the tranny is because I believe the oil is the same as engine oil, this is a 5spd. It looks black like used engine oil, though...

smell it...you'll know if its not engine oil.

tranny oil is red... engine oil is... yuk

my gear oil is uhh yellowish/brown

it sounds like your rear seal is leaking a bit.

agree from:

The oil is coming from a tiny rectangular hole at the very bottom where the engine mates with the Tranny

There is a tiny bit of oil on the little device that sticks out of the side of the transmission slightly farther back. This device has a cable on it, I kinda assumed it was related to the clutch.

I don't think thats a cable...i think thats a hydro line from the clutch master cylinder and the lever for the clutch fork...if that boot is ripped like it is on my 95 then yes oil will leak from there too from a RMS...i really should crawl under mine and snap some pix

Edited by unccpathfinder

my rear main seal leak is getting bad.... will it hurt to drive it as long as i keep oil in it

by the way $700 to fix... i need an answer

i drove mini me with a leaking RMS for 6 months fore i pulled the motor........ check your oil often, but ultimately, it will have to be fixed.

i drove mini me with a leaking RMS for 6 months fore i pulled the motor........ check your oil often, but ultimately, it will have to be fixed.

judgin by your beautiful collection of pathfinders im sure you would recomend fixin it right... not getting rid of it

fix it...and while your in there you may as well do the clutch/flywheel/pilot bushing and probably the rear cam seals...hell for $700 if you have the tools and the parts you could fly me there for a weekend and we could get it done...

700 sounds about right though b/c you have to drop the tranny out to fix it so its a good 8 or so hours of work if not a little more

judgin by your beautiful collection of pathfinders im sure you would recomend fixin it right... not getting rid of it

fix it. it's a PITA but not a huge ordeal. and i agree with uncc, may as well do a clutch job while yer in there :aok:

or, you gimme YOUR pathy, and you can have king. who needs a new tire, shocks all round, steering stabilizer, windshield, alignment, center link installed, locks installed, tint removed and redone........... yeah. i'll swap your (home fix) $200 fixable pathy for my $1300 fixer upper lmao :laugh:

oh, and his smog test & tags are due. will that be a problem? hehe (another $175)

:hugs:

Edited by Slick

fix it. it's a PITA but not a huge ordeal. and i agree with uncc, may as well do a clutch job while yer in there :aok:

or, you gimme YOUR pathy, and you can have king. who needs a new tire, shocks all round, steering stabilizer, windshield, alignment, center link installed, locks installed, tint removed and redone........... yeah. i'll swap your (home fix) $200 fixable pathy for my $1300 fixer upper lmao :laugh:

oh, and his smog test & tags are due. will that be a problem? hehe (another $175)

:hugs:

King looks great and wouldnt mind havin it bein that its more modded than mine but the "WRAMBLER WAGON" as i call her, is my sweetheart, she aint let me down yet. (even when i dropped off into a tractor rut and water started running into the floor with bald street tires, she ate out of it, lol) being that im 17 i dont feel comfortable fixin it myself... the good thing about louisiana is we dont have smog tests :D

King looks great and wouldnt mind havin it bein that its more modded than mine but the "WRAMBLER WAGON" as i call her, is my sweetheart, she aint let me down yet. (even when i dropped off into a tractor rut and water started running into the floor with bald street tires, she ate out of it, lol) being that im 17 i dont feel comfortable fixin it myself... the good thing about louisiana is we dont have smog tests :D

see, i just proved my point. we LOVE our rigs......... which means we are willing to do whatever it takes to KEEP them. no giving up! i need to dump about $5,000 into my 2 rigs to get them 110% but i don't have the money, so i do what i can, when i can. as for major stuff, i fix it, no questions asked. i love both my rigs, they've never let me down on anything that wasn't my fault..... 'tis why i love thee pathy's so :wub: