Anyone up for some light wheeling in the next couple of weekends?

unccpathfinder

Alright I just got my 95 here and it looks like I won't be stripping yet until I find out where I'm going to be living come next month. I would like to go do some wheeling but I don't want to get into anything too major being that my 95 doesnt have a hitch and I have no idea what happened to my strap/rope/chain in my move from NC to here

I figured anywhere within 100 miles of 93505 and probably hit it on a saturday for a day ride...tomorrow i need to crank up the TB's since i put the rovers with the BS wheels on there and just small bumps around town grabs the flares/fenders up front and I will also be checking out my FL caliper but other than that I think she's ready to go...ohh yea throw on the manual hubs I just got and then check to make sure the 4x4 is still good but i have no reason to believe its not

PM me in case I forget about this thread...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad you are so south, i would be up for a hollister trip.

I will be willing to go wheeling soon. I got my sliders all fabbed up and tacked welded together. I just need to do the finish welding them up Paint the parts I cannot get to after installation, Weld them on the truck and then finish painting them. I won't be able to get to that until Saturday. So perhaps we could get something set up this Sunday or the following weekend.

I would like to checkout all the work you have done to your truck. Or maybe I could take a day off this week to finish them.

Mark

that sounds cool...well the truck that i've been working on is my 87 and its uhh dead again...after I get a place to live my 95 (current working pathy and pretty much bone stock) will become a donor but this won't happen until at least Feb

i might be going to hollister on the 31st with some guys from NorCal TTORA. that's if i get the day off of work.

thats sound good, keep me posted on the trip. I will try to make it.

Mark

if i make it we could be embarrassed together b/c thats all i'd be running...and she doesnt even have a trailer hitch so the only strap point is the rear axle :unsure: (its been used before) and front hook...i'm not looking to go bash her just an easy/moderate trail...not embarrassing either...I ran all the easy trails at URE in 2wd in both trucks and most of the next level up in 2wd and that was just a fun day...didnt really worry about tearing anything up except for a couple of times i got "nervous" but thats b/c it was the only DD i had...

If I make a run up here I have to make sure I can drive her back and to be honest people could poke fun at my truck and not going to climb the hardest @!*% they have...I havent done any "serious" offroading in over 2 years...I just want to go get out on a trail and meet some folks from the boards...

If I go up i'll probably try to get there early Sat and camp then leave in the morning on sunday

Stock to really modded trucks. Hollister offers all sorts of different terrain for each level too. They give you a map so you know what to expect. Also, SC88Pathy runs stock and when I had the R50 I was stock. Rikk is also stock with his R51. We all made it fine. I've done a lot of the trails that I thought I would never be able to do without mods but I was wrong. A majority of the trails there are doable for stock vehicles.

Theres also a 4wheeling course that has tons of trucks that are stock go through some hairy trails. So theres no need to be embarrassed.

Stock to really modded trucks. Hollister offers all sorts of different terrain for each level too. They give you a map so you know what to expect. Also, SC88Pathy runs stock and when I had the R50 I was stock. Rikk is also stock with his R51. We all made it fine. I've done a lot of the trails that I thought I would never be able to do without mods but I was wrong. A majority of the trails there are doable for stock vehicles.

Theres also a 4wheeling course that has tons of trucks that are stock go through some hairy trails. So theres no need to be embarrassed.

My first trip to hollister was with my factory bone stock pathy with bald tires right after a heavy rain. I was slipping and sliding the whole trip. I went everywhere a modded range rover Defender went. Don't let embarrassment discourage you. Besides it is better to be pull out by another pathfinder than some ford or toyota or worse a jeep.

Mark

Well from the looks of the webpage and the way it reads its about the same as URE being most easy/intermediate trails can be done in 2wd with a possible spot here and there that needs 4x4...

I did not see anything about offroad permits, i know at URE you have to stop and get a sticker (like $10 or something) does hollister have anything like this? (EDIT: Holy fskc...please tell me a "day pass use" is not $50 and that is the price of the annual pass)

REGISTRATION

Current California off-road vehicle registration (green and red stickers) or highway registration are required at all times when operating OHVs on public lands. Funds generated from OHV registration along with a portion of the state gas tax are used for the acquisition, development, and operation of OHV areas throughout California.

I assume that an NC registration would be fine

As far as camping goes is there pick a spot on the trail and camp or do you have to camp in a designated camp ground? I see that fires are only permitted in fire rings within the campgrounds but can you get a permit if camping is allowed alongside trail? I know at URE we always pulled off of a trail to camp (EDIT: I see now that they only have group campsites and family camp sites no primitive camp sites)

I went here but they seem to be lacking some information or i'm just not looking at the right spot

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

Edited by unccpathfinder

Well from the looks of the webpage and the way it reads its about the same as URE being most easy/intermediate trails can be done in 2wd with a possible spot here and there that needs 4x4...

I did not see anything about offroad permits, i know at URE you have to stop and get a sticker (like $10 or something) does hollister have anything like this? (EDIT: Holy fskc...please tell me a "day pass use" is not $50 and that is the price of the annual pass)

I assume that an NC registration would be fine

As far as camping goes is there pick a spot on the trail and camp or do you have to camp in a designated camp ground? I see that fires are only permitted in fire rings within the campgrounds but can you get a permit if camping is allowed alongside trail? I know at URE we always pulled off of a trail to camp (EDIT: I see now that they only have group campsites and family camp sites no primitive camp sites)

I went here but they seem to be lacking some information or i'm just not looking at the right spot

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

not sure how much it costs for non registered vehicles. If I remember correctly it was like 6 bucks for registered vehicles. not sure if there was an additional charge for camping, however there definitely is designated camping spot you cannot just camp anywhere.

just found this from 2008 not sure if it went up this year or not.

The entry fee is $5 per car, plus another $5 to stay overnight in any of the five campsites located in the area.

Mark

Edited by msavides

SC are the 88 CV's the same as the 87 (i'm not sure when they changed the # of bolts on the FA) if they're the same...I think this weekend i'll be starting to pull the engine out of my 87 and I could throw those CVs in my truck and if you had a blowout i'll have all the tools in the truck to change on on the trail. If you want to buy them off of me thats an option too. I will also have some warn manual locking hubs for sale soon too

Right now it looks like i'll make a run up there if theres some other folks off of here that will for sure go and run some easy trails and not go out to kill their rigs

really! what makes it not streetable?

Mark

Considering im running no sway bars, bad suspension geometry in the back and really really really soft springs it makes it kinda dangerous to drive on the freeway. I can do local but not on the highway.

Right now it looks like i'll make a run up there if theres some other folks off of here that will for sure go and run some easy trails and not go out to kill their rigs

well i'll run it if i have the day off work. and i also don't wanna kill my rig. lol. last time i went wheeling i was afraid of f'ing up the steering the whole time cuz i'm on 33s w/a stock CL. there were some crazy rocks that i went over though. ended up breaking a cv. i'm down for some easy goin wheeling tho.

SC are the 88 CV's the same as the 87 (i'm not sure when they changed the # of bolts on the FA) if they're the same...I think this weekend i'll be starting to pull the engine out of my 87 and I could throw those CVs in my truck and if you had a blowout i'll have all the tools in the truck to change on on the trail. If you want to buy them off of me thats an option too. I will also have some warn manual locking hubs for sale soon too

I'd love to buy them off you, but money is real tight right now, I'll have to see.

AFAIK 87-89 all used the same CV joints.

hell if u wanna wheel..ill bring them and if something breaks we can work something out...i wanna go but not go hard core..i can go count fasteners tomrrow...i can guarantee you a CV if you commit to showing up...and pulling me out...over or whatever stupid @!*% i get into ;)

LOL When I said my stock truck would be embarrassing, it is mostly tongue in cheek. I've never had a 'built' truck so I know what a stock or lightly modified truck can do.

It's more that I wish that I had the mods installed so I could wheel my DD a little harder. Watching others just isn't the same... ;)

I'm not sure if I can make it, but if I do, it's leaning towards a day trip right now.

B