Oil filter relocation kit?

tekazgtr1984

In the hopes to add some ease to doing oil changes, I had the thought of installing a filter relocation kit. With the skid plates installed it makes getting to the filter even more tedious.

Has anyone attempted such a modification? I've seen many universal kits out there but I'm a little weary when it comes to actually buying and installing one.

WE bought the transdapt relocation kit that is labeled for the Xterra. By rights it should have fit, they use the same oil filter.

Simon tried on 2 occasions to install it, the first time he got caught up with the alternator bracket.

2nd attempt, he got around the bracket, had tightened it all down, and as soon as we started the truck it leaked like a mofo. :(

• 1 month later...

After some searching I found a kit that, according to the seller, should install without any issues. If the pictures are any indication this kit looks tough. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=330307629000 :clickdalink:

Wondering what the general consensus is... :scratchhead:

After some searching I found a kit that, according to the seller, should install without any issues. If the pictures are any indication this kit looks tough. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=330307629000 :clickdalink:

Wondering what the general consensus is... :scratchhead:

Looks like it should work. Might want to add 90° fittings on the engine adapter so the lines don't have to bend.

The OD of the oring on the pathfinder filter is 2.5". But I think the mounting surface on the engine is larger, so I think that kit will work. It sure would make oil changes easier.

That's the plan! :aok:

I loathe the location of the oil filter on the VG33E and a relo kit seems like the best solution, perhaps top mounting it somewhere.

Thanks for the advice on 90° fittings on the engine adapter, too. :happy:

That's the plan! :aok:

I loathe the location of the oil filter on the VG33E and a relo kit seems like the best solution, perhaps top mounting it somewhere.

Thanks for the advice on 90° fittings on the engine adapter, too. :happy:

That sounds freakin sweet...I have thought about a relocation kit every single time I've changed my oil (even more-so after I installed the skid), but forgot about it every time I finished up...let us know how she comes out! I'd love to not have to drop that skidplate every time....

That sounds freakin sweet...I have thought about a relocation kit every single time I've changed my oil (even more-so after I installed the skid), but forgot about it every time I finished up...let us know how she comes out! I'd love to not have to drop that skidplate every time....

I think I'm going to place the order next week and perform the install when my next oil change is due (in a few weeks when the ODO hits 170k[km]). A pox on this blasted winter! :rant2:

Just a side not for anyone else interested in this kit, the lines are NOT included and are sold separately on this company's website. A 3.4m (~4ft) oil line goes for about $32.

I think I'm going to place the order next week and perform the install when my next oil change is due (in a few weeks when the ODO hits 170k[km]). A pox on this blasted winter! :rant2:

Just a side not for anyone else interested in this kit, the lines are NOT included and are sold separately on this company's website. A 3.4m (~4ft) oil line goes for about $32.

You should be able to get an oil line made cheaper than that. I had replacement hydraulic hoses custom made for our lot snow plow including all the fittings and labour I seem to remember them being around $20-$25 a piece.

A standard oil line should be even cheaper.

Wow, that's the first oil filter relocation kit that looks like it would work! Great find! Let us know how it goes with the installation! I expect a write-up with pics!

Edited by XPLORx4

Wow, that's the first oil filter relocation kit that looks like it would work! Great find! Let us know how it goes with the installation! I expect a write-up with pics!

Consider it done, Dean! :aok:

I suffer from OCD, especially where my rig's concerned. So it should be a detailed thread to say the least! :D