what could cause starter to fail like...

here4now

my starter has failed for a 3rd time.

starter 1: would click but no crank most of the time, sometimes it would crank over just fine.

starter 2: started just fine about 5 times then it just started to spin continuously even with the key off until I whacked it, then it stopped.

starter 3: started just fine about 3 times then it just started to spin continuously even with the key off until I disconnected the battery, even after whacking it several times.

What the fark could be causing this? am I just having that bad of luck with these 2 remans? is it some electrical thing that I don't see in the wiring diagram?

I am not that far off from putting full coverage on the truck and throwing a match in the gas tank!! :crossedwires:

there are a couple of things that could be going on.

first... there could be a bad connection in the trigger wire from the starting circuit through the inhibitor relay (I think there's one) and to the starter solenoid. If this is bad, the starter will work just fine sometimes but not even click other times.

READ HERE

second... there could be a problem in the starter itself. If carbon buildup has fouled the commutator or armature coils, you can disassemble it and clean it and most likely get more life. there is a picture HERE

third... it could be a failed solenoid which does not release the circuit when you release the key. This would keep the starter going when you don't expect it.

Another couse of this could be a failed ignition switch that is making contact to the start circuit when the key is off.

Check for voltage on the 'trigger' wire at the starter with the key off and the starter running (if this happens again) If you have 12V on the small wire, the problem is in the circuit. If no 12V, the problem is in the starter/solenoid.

take a look at this for troubleshooting purposes: READ HERE

Edited by k9sar

this may not be the problem in your case but while your in there double check your OIL PREASSURE sensor. If its loose it will leak oil into your starter... Just trying to prevent more probems once you get this one sloved

x2 on what my1path said.

What is the physical condition of the starters you have pulled out? Are they covered i oil and crap? When the oil pressure sensor fails, it leaks all over the place. The sensor is like $12 bucks and can be done easily with your next oil change. It is a 27mm socket just like the crankshaft pulley bolt.

indigent.

oops I guess I wasn't clear. it is 3 separate starters. not 3 separate instances.

Indigent, the OPS was replaced when we pulled the starter the first time because the connector got damaged.

K9sar, I am trying to figure out if there is something that could be killing the starters that rapidly.

what was the time span between the starter replacements? Were they new or refurbs?

Look at the common point... many starters, single electrical system. I would chase the voltages first and make sure you are getting what's expected on the trigger wire and only when you want it.

When you pulled your old starters, did you happen to bench test them either yourself or at a local autozone or such?

If it isn't cranking and you pull it, slap 12V to the big lug, ground the case to the body then run a jumper over to the solenoid and it screams like a scared little girl, you have a problem in your elec circuit.

what was the time span between the starter replacements? Were they new or refurbs?

Look at the common point... many starters, single electrical system. I would chase the voltages first and make sure you are getting what's expected on the trigger wire and only when you want it.

When you pulled your old starters, did you happen to bench test them either yourself or at a local autozone or such?

If it isn't cranking and you pull it, slap 12V to the big lug, ground the case to the body then run a jumper over to the solenoid and it screams like a scared little girl, you have a problem in your elec circuit.

time span between install and failure was less than a week.

I bought the truck on the 11th of december. Sold it last night.

They were refurbs