Paint issue

Little Mule

This picture is from my 01 pathy. It gets a lot of AZ sun exposure, but very little snow/salt exposure. I don't think it is from the elements, since it is isolated to this area on the hood.

The clear coat seems to be flaking away in some spots. I'm wondering if something splashed on it to cause it, but I don't know for sure. How do I prevent it from getting worse? My thought is to remove the little flaky clear coat around the spots, then try to wax the crap out of it. Any one else have a better idea or suggestion for a good product that might help?

Thanks.

Edited by Little Mule

I've tried to wax over flaking clear coats before to prevent spreading, but it's pretty much a loss cause. Basically, once it starts, it's going to spread no matter what you do. I live in New Mexico and we have pretty much the same sun conditions you do. I've even had back luck restoring oxidation as it just reappeared in about six months.

Sorry for the bad news..

Sorry, the picture should be attached now, if it works.

edicer2, I still have the 88 too. The 88 is more my camping offroad vehicle, the 01 is my wife's family truckster. I like you 300zx. I have a 91 300zx tt. It's about the same color red too.

jpawela, thanks. That's what I was worried about. But figure I'd throw up a hail mary to other pathy owners and see what they say.

post-507-1230770158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Mule

Judging from your pic, could be the result of acid rain. Typical of big cities. That actually doesn't look as bad as I was imagining. Couldn't hurt to throw some wax on. Never know, it could help.

Edited by jpawela

o ok i wasnt sure i just figured i would ask. But yeah i like the z cars hows your tt running? i might be doing a rb swap in mine. But yeah i think its a lost cause pretty much need to get it repainted and clear coated i would say sand it but i bet the color is slitly faded where theres no clear coat so you would see the spots. Plus like someone said it looks like acid rain so it will probably just do it agian.

x2 on the sanding and clearing. It may do it again but It'll look nice for a few years first. If there's a way to lower your underhood temps(elec fan, oil cooler, cooler thermostat) It might not happen again so fast.

o ok i wasnt sure i just figured i would ask. But yeah i like the z cars hows your tt running? i might be doing a rb swap in mine.

It runs like a gem. It only has 95k miles though. I keep wondering when the major repair is coming.

Only issue I've had recently is that when the key, sometimes it doesn't start. Almost like if you don't have the clutch pushed in, even though I do. I turn the key back once or twice, and then it does start. Not sure what that is all about.

auto body guy here , your clear coat is flaking off .

no you can't stop it , crappy paint job the people did on

your rig . they where had to done 25% 20% 55% the right way is 15% 35 % 50% .

the best route is to sand it down 80git then 100git then 130git then wet sandpaper it

prime it then paint it over then clean coat it

Edited by WiredWrong

LOL, "acid" rain doesn't cause that. A good hail storm could though.

acid rain would have made a splatter effect all over the rig , A hail storm would have just left alot of small dents

UNless it was TOXIC ZOMBIES from outer space ; bent on revenge to drool on the hood of your rig :shiftyeyes:

It runs like a gem. It only has 95k miles though. I keep wondering when the major repair is coming.

Only issue I've had recently is that when the key, sometimes it doesn't start. Almost like if you don't have the clutch pushed in, even though I do. I turn the key back once or twice, and then it does start. Not sure what that is all about.

how are the battery cables ?

a good person should clean the ends once every two months

Edited by WiredWrong

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eyes out for the Zombies. My wife takes it to her parents house a lot, and I think they have some cats that could be zombies. They might be drooling on the car.

I cleaned the battery cables on the Z. Seems to be working. Thanks.