clutch noise

ticker

I drove from New York to Ohio last night with no problems. Just about 600miles. This morning I went to the store and when I put in the clutch I heard this strange noise. It was like a whirring noise, or like a bad pump type of growling. Noise went away once in gear, and seemed a bit better at speed. No slipping and it drove fine. It was pretty cold this morning, 20F but no colder than its been lately. any ideas?

1998 SE 5 speed. 111,000 miles

Edited by ticker

Sounds like the old throw out bearing to me. Original clutch?

It doesn't really hurt anything, it will just make embarrassing noises...

Sometimes they still last a long time, sometimes they fail quickly. Better plan to replace the clutch, etc fairly soon.

If I'm right, that is.

B

LOL The sign of failure is that you can hear the bearing complain over the noise of the running engine...

Generally, you can limp about like this for a little while, but if/when the bearing unit fails (comes apart) you can lose your clutch entirely, not to mention have bits of metal slinging around. Not trying to scare you, it's just impossible to say how long it will last... :shrug:

As for price, you should be able to get a clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate, TO bearing, alignment tool) for about $200, maybe less. It's shop labor that adds up. If you have the means, I highly recommend doing it yourself and saving some cash. The R50 must be easier than the WD21 as there are no T-bars to mess with...

B

Thanks for the info, I found some others at Rock Auto that were pretty cheap as well. Any recommendations on brand?

Rhino pac

Sachs

Valeo all are about $160 for the Kit

Beck Arnley-$223 for the kit

acdelco-$188

Any opinions?

The good news is the noise seems better, I have only been getting it for one or two shifts at start up, compared to every shift the first day I heard it. Its a bit warmer out and the pathy got a major cleeanig, which I know won't help mechanically but It makes me feel better ;) . I got a call in to my mechanic to price out the labor. I don't see myself having the time or ability(tools, space etc.) to do this myself.

Edited by ticker

Beck Arnley and AC Delco are the only names I recognize. Both should be fine. I put in some OEM unit and it worked great. You may want the mechanic to price whatever you choose, he should be able to get it cheaper so you can save a little $... :shrug:

Glad to hear the TOB is holding in there. That lets you schedule when the work gets done rather forced to do it now...

B

• 2 months later...

Hey guys

New owner here, been through Troopers and Rovers and now the Pathy.

I have the clutch noise, sometimes on a down shift it might even sound a little like a gear grinding.

If you rev it up to 2500rpm in neutral and depress the clutch you can hear it whirrrrrr and hum.

So Im thinking throwout bearing as well...right?!??!

I had an 89 Trooper that actually had the spring holder for the clutch pressure plate break, everything else was fine.

It was the same kinda thing/sounds, kinda like the clutch is not fully disengaging the gears.

So I noticed it driving it home from the purchase and called the PrevOwner who just sold it to me and said "whats up?"

The good thing is I bought it from an aquiantence that I have known for 10 years so Ive known this truck for 10 years.

He's the original owner and is a dealer service kind of guy. He's trustworthy and meticulous so I have confidence that he's on the up and up.

When I asked him about it he said its been doing ti for 10 years off and on, Sometimes it wont do it for a year, although we also chuckled that we know theres something trashing about in there.

He has all the service records from day one and has reported it to the dealer several tiimes but they have never been able to sort it out.

I felt better knowing that it just may be a quirky personality issue of the car and I just have to get used to the new sounds and vibes.

I guess my question is..... Has anybody else had this, is it common to Pathy?

Its a 1990, 160k with the orig clutch

The PO sez he babys the clutch(his dad was truck driver so he was taught right)

Hope this story helps ease some other minds, as long as its not false hope.

Cheers

I drove mine for almost a year with the release bearing making noise before the clutch finially let go at 290,000km

The good part about a 5spd is that you don't need to worry about getting stranded. If the clutch goes, you can just powershift it to get home/to the shop.

I have the clutch noise, sometimes on a down shift it might even sound a little like a gear grinding.

If you rev it up to 2500rpm in neutral and depress the clutch you can hear it whirrrrrr and hum.

So Im thinking throwout bearing as well...right?!??!

Could be the throw out bearing or pressure plate. Bleed the clutch system (2 places) and drive it till actually causes problems... :D

B

Could be the throw out bearing or pressure plate. Bleed the clutch system (2 places) and drive it till actually causes problems... :D

B

Hey thanks for the advise Im draining everything right now. I thought I heard some valve rattle so Im draining the engine oil as well. Ill let you know what happens on my way to work 2morrow.

:tongue:

Edited by Tractor