Auto Transmission Reverse Problems

FlyingCow

After a bit of searching i couldn't seem to find similar symptoms. I have a 94 turbo diesel Auto. I am assuming i will need a rebuild, but it would be good to know what may be wrong first. I lost reverse. When i rev it up it starts to catch and slip a little. If i am on the flat with a light load i can reverse, but with a load it just revs out and doesn't move. The transmission place says, it will cost $1200 just to pull it out and have a look. Bugger.

Doc.

Do not know what tranny the diesels got, but for the autos on our V6 gassers, if reverse goes out it means dead tranny.

I disagree. First I would need to know which tranny because the diesel's can be different. Reverse failure can be dead tranny or blocked passages in the valve block. Additionally there is a solinoid that controls the reverse that can go bad and cause failure. This is very difficult to diagnois over the net and MOST tranny shops just want to replace everything (butchers)

Do not know what tranny the diesels got, but for the autos on our V6 gassers, if reverse goes out it means dead tranny

I disagree. First I would need to know which tranny because the diesel's can be different. Reverse failure can be dead tranny or blocked passages in the valve block. Additionally there is a solinoid that controls the reverse that can go bad and cause failure. This is very difficult to diagnois over the net and MOST tranny shops just want to replace everything (butchers)

:scratchhead:

Edited by kingman92010

Yeah, it is usually a valve issue on the REs, but it is usually caused by part failure causing a debris clog. Reverse usues the highest pressure in the valves and if it goes out it is usually from reduced pressure (hence his tranny working when the engine is reved).

You may disagree Igranch, but 95% if not more of the Pathfinders with dead reverse means paper weight tranny.

Did you change the filter? Also adding some Lucas tranny additive made mine shift a lot better too.

Oh yeah, you have to flush with a lot of fluid something like 14 quarts to get all the old dirty stuff out.

I have no idea about the solenoids. I have no knowledge of transmissions other than that flushing and filtering helped mine a lot.

Edited by redfinder