any leaks with oil filter relocation kit?

Coucoui6

Okay... i decided to do the relocation kit after the installation of my pacesetter headers. it was difficult to get the oem filter off... i just did not have much room at all... i used the same filter wrench, filter socket, bare hands... it was very difficult. but i finally did it.

because it was so hard to take the oem filter off.... i also had a difficult time screwing on the adapter for the filter relocation. i eventually made progress.

now i used the summit racing kit... it was the cheapest $$$. i did install the correct tread adapter on the oil filter adapter and oil lubed the rubber ring washer before hand screwing the filter adapter on. because it was soo tightly spaced against the headers, i was only able to hand screw it on. i was not able to use any tools to tighten it more.

now i recently noticed some oil dripping on my driveway... not bad but still there. i think it may be unwiped oil from underneath my motor. but.... i remember my modified civic would leak with my motor oil cooler kit. it leaked just under the filter adapter.

so any one experience with the summit racing oil relocation kit leaking from anywhere on the adapter? i double check today and did not see anything, but i did feel oil under the oem filter location. but not sure if it is the extra oil from the originally oil filter being taken off.

Edited by Coucoui6

I've had a Summit kit for a while now, as have many members here. I've never had a bit of a drip. If you're unsure, I'd do some more looking/checking to figure out an angle to snug it up a bit tigher. If you have a body lift, you can reach in from the fenderwell. If not, from below might give you better leverage if you haven't gone there. If you're in doubt about the install, take it off to make sure everything is ok (threads, and IIRC there's a rubber O ring in there, then reinstall. That would only cost you a few $ in oil. Cheaper than oil stains on the driveway or a blown motor due to low oil.

Which kit style did you do? Did you go with a Nissan style filter, or something else? Where did you relocate to? Underneath by the chassis, or up under the hood? Pics are good.

I did the Ford small block V8 filter, suggested by Slick, as they have more capacity, and the filters are cheap and everywhere. Here's a LINK to my install, and there are a few others out there. Mine is more specific to mounting the filter than on the mounting of that plate, but like I'd say, its cheap insurance to just go back through it if you're unsure.

LOL my Pacesetter headers are still sitting in the garage. How did that go? :)

I don't have headers, but my oil filter relocation adapter was a biatch to mount due to the limited space. Get creative to make sure it is snug/tight; I used bars, levers, wrenches; impossible to explain. I did have a problem with leaks just the other day so check out this thread...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20577

B

mr. pickles... my relo kit from summit looks just like yours... i'm using a fram filter that i ordered from summit with my kit. i will take pictures and post it soon. i mounted the relo filter on the same braket as the fuel filter. the fram filter is twice the size of my oem filter.

i did try to go though the wheel well, but its tight because i don't have a body lift. i would just like to do another 1/4 turn on the relocation adapter.. but it's so tight. unable to use a screwdriver. any small stick is unable to provide me the leverage to turn it more. i try again...

i just hope the oil drops that i saw on the ground is from unwiped oil doing this change.

mr. pickles... my relo kit from summit looks just like yours... i'm using a fram filter that i ordered from summit with my kit. i will take pictures and post it soon. i mounted the relo filter on the same braket as the fuel filter. the fram filter is twice the size of my oem filter.

i did try to go though the wheel well, but its tight because i don't have a body lift. i would just like to do another 1/4 turn on the relocation adapter.. but it's so tight. unable to use a screwdriver. any small stick is unable to provide me the leverage to turn it more. i try again...

i just hope the oil drops that i saw on the ground is from unwiped oil doing this change.

I have done many oil changes on my truck, using the access through the fender . I found it easiest to remove the wheel to gain better access.

Now that i have a 2" body lift, there is sufficient room to do the changes without removing the wheel.

I do like the idea of a filter re-location so here is my question.

Where should I go to purchase one? I need somewhere that will ship to New Zealand though.