TD27 Terrano 5 speed g'box issues

terranorob

Hi - I am 3/4 of the way sorting out my auto to manual gearbox change. I have paid for and received a TD27 re-conditioned manual box minus transfer case. The problem is that the diameter of the gearbox output shaft is smaller than the input shaft of the transfer case.... What gives??

Do you need a different transfer case for the manual box compared to the auto one?

Is there a difference in output shafts between the older and new model Terrano's??

The wife is going to kill me. First I bought a Pathfinder box but the bell housing is different for the petrol motor compared to the diesel one so that was bought and sold and now I have got more problems.

Any help would be great so that I can get te beast back on the road.

Cheers

We pretty much have limited knowledge of the non north american pathfinders. My guess would be that the transfercases. Are you sure that you can use a gas manual transmission on the back of a diesel engine if you just swap bellhousings? You might just have to get a new transfercase.

I'm afraid you have gone farther than my familiarity with pathfinders. As the previous member said, there were no diesels imported to the US and that is where most of our members are from. Fear not though, there are some members with this information; I think I remember someone covering it.

Please try searching for it, and look in the TD27 section that we make just for all the lucky people that have them.

That is where I am going to move this so hopefully it gets more attention from the people in the know. Feel free to PM or email members that seem knowledgeable. sw may be able to help.

Anyway, tell the wife B said not to worry, we are working on it... ;)

B

there are some members with this information; I think I remember someone covering it.

Please try searching for it, and look in the TD27 section that we make just for all the lucky people that have them.

That is where I am going to move this so hopefully it gets more attention from the people in the know. Feel free to PM or email members that seem knowledgeable. sw may be able to help.

Anyway, tell the wife B said not to worry, we are working on it... ;)

B

Thanks for your help - dropped into a Jap gearbox wholesaler this afternoon - he looked at me sideways when I told him that the input shaft on the transfer case which was mounted to the auto box had 30 splines. I will call a few wreckers and see what they have to say about it. Might look at a Z24 pathfinder transfer case and see how many splines it has - hopefully its got 24 splines and all will be solved!

i did do some juggling of bell housings and transmissions between a td27 and a z24 pathy.

the z24 box fitted the td27 motor, once the td27 bellhousing and front plate (of the transmission, where the clutch folk goes on) were put on.

we had no dramas what so ever with transfer cases.

the terrano was 91

the pathy was 88

perhaps you have been sold something different than what youve expected. maybe a v6 tranny? cant see why the t-case would be different tho.

perhaps the particular trans and t-case in your car were from a newer terrano/pathy?? - previous owner??

good luck with another t-case...... what a hassle.

Ando (vsicks) probably has his t-case lying around now, as he was fitting a 720 divorced case for the borg-warner 5 speed.

i shall see if i can get in contact with him, as he is in melbourne. he may sell you his t-case at a reasonable price.

i know he sold be the adapter plate for the t700 at a reasonable price.

Hi guys - yesterday was the end of this adventure for me. A quick trip up the road to a wrecker landed me a suitable 24 spline input shaft transfer case. After calling around 10 wreckers the price quoted ranged from $695 to $165. I headed to the cheapest option first and all is well and good!!! The T-case is off a TD27 turbo Terrano.

I am still none the wiser why there is a mix of 30 and 24 spline T-cases out there across the Z24, TD27 and maybe VG30 boxes - but hey - second time lucky. 30 minutes after getting home the T-case was on my new manual box with the low range lever in place.

The only thing I had to do today was buy two bolts because two bolts were 10mm shorter than needed on the manual box compared with the auto (another strange thing!).

This weekend will see some quality time in the shed and hopefully a box - bolted up!!

Cheers

:itsallgood:

• 10 years later...

Yup, I did it....posting on a thread over 10 years old.  But I HATE it when I search for something and the answer is not clearly there (this came up in a google search):

24 spline - 4 cyclinder transfer case

30 spline - v6 transfer case including the VQ35DE 2001-2004 pathfinders that do not have AWD TX14A.

How these apply to the diesels, I do not know but count your splines for TX10 cases.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Just to be annoying and fwiw, I wouldn't bother with the Terrano box anymore, I fitted the much stronger box/transfer from a later Navara QD 32. They pretty much bolt straight in apart from a couple of small mods and don't break like the little Terrano/Pathy box's do.

What I was told is the original box has the same internals as a stock Skyline, the Navara one has GTR internals. It certainly is much bigger than a stocker.

Edited by andrewt6447

• 2 weeks later...