Cant find an authoritative thread on rotors.

jproy

I have a BBK from Rotora on one of my cars. It was a night and day brake performance change with regard to fade and repeated use during performance driving. I cant make em fade at 150mph. I have a slight shimmy in the front end under braking on the Path. It comes and goes so I am hoping it is suspension related. If it doesnt go away after the work (replacing every rubber and ball/socket part), I want to get some nice rotors or larger rotors for the beast. The rotors on the truck now only have about 8K miles and new pads. I thought we should start a thread to make a list of available high end rotors and pads from top companies with testimony to warpage resistance. Where to buy the good stuff?

Anyone know of a way to put larger rotors on or someone who has done it from say a Titan? If not, who makes Rotors with the best warpage resistance for the Pathfinder or a BBK, Cyro treated and/or high quality American steel? I saw that StopTech makes a set but I know, all too well, the rotor game. Thermal capacity is the rule! It doesnt change unless you add material thus storing more Jules of thermal energy before warpage. However, high quality, non-Chinese/Japanese steel, with special treatments and slots can go a long way to improve resistance to warpage. FYI, those of you using OEM size rotors with drilled holes as opposed to cast holes and abuse the brakes on the hwy or around town, they will form radial cracks out from the holes to the edge of the disk over time. They can eventually crack and seize a wheel, never seen it on a slotted rotor. It does happen with cheap drilled steel. Most race cars and high end marks that use rotors with holes are actually cast that way or have been drilled with enough material in the disk to prevent cracking from thermal capacity overload. Some of them honestly do it just for the look. The way to go is slotted hands down. I have tons of experience with brake systems. I have destroyed countless cheap rotors in my early days. Most drilled rotors start as cheap steel blanks. Take a look at your own if you have cross-drilled’s, it is something to keep an eye on. Drilled does look cool though! I should just get off my ass and start calling the companies I know make good rotors and look into it. I will report back with what I find but what do you know about premium rotors for the Path with good warpage resistance regardless of cost?

Edited by jproy

Not from a company called Americansteel, I was only referring to the cheap metallurgy of many foreign sourced low grade steel. There are Asian companies with high grade steel but MOST of the high grade steel is sourced from the U. S. and European plants/mines. High grade steel is much less likely to warp and has a slightly higher thermal capacity. Most of the good stuff from the Asian companies starts out from the U. S. and European plants. I was throwing out info from experience. I would have to dig to provide the accurate concrete evidence. Probably shouldn’t say it if I'm not going to back it up.

Please accept my apology if that came off as a racist comment.

Edited by jproy

Please accept my apology if that came off as a racist comment.

No need to apologize at all! :D

My apologies if my response came off the wrong way. :unsure:

I didn't think your comment was in any way racist; I just wanted to know a little more about where you stood. I also wanted to defend companies like Endless, Project Mu and so forth because they produce some of the finest brake kits in the world. Not sure where they obtain their materials but I'm pretty sure it's within Japan.

ya country doesnt matter. i seen german, american, and japanese rotors all warp.

i had a cheap set of japanese rotors (the brand name was "mountain") and they warped QUICKLY.

i upgraded to brembo rotors from italy and wow they are some nice brakes. They arent a big brake kit, but they sure as hell behave like one.

No need to apologize at all! :D

My apologies if my response came off the wrong way. :unsure:

I didn't think your comment was in any way racist; I just wanted to know a little more about where you stood. I also wanted to defend companies like Endless, Project Mu and so forth because they produce some of the finest brake kits in the world. Not sure where they obtain their materials but I'm pretty sure it's within Japan.

No big deal. I agree with the above.

ya country doesnt matter. i seen german, american, and japanese rotors all warp.

i had a cheap set of japanese rotors (the brand name was "mountain") and they warped QUICKLY.

i upgraded to brembo rotors from italy and wow they are some nice brakes. They arent a big brake kit, but they sure as hell behave like one.

I must agree that there are some very ****** american brand rotors. I was just talking about where most of the good metal, from the start, comes from. Metal of any grade from anywhere can be proccessed into the highest grade possible. I have probably taken this way too far for the practicality of the Path. I am leaning toward the Brembo blanks at the moment. The market doesnt look too broad for the Path.

Edited by jproy

Where did you find the Brembo rotors? I've looked everywhere!! :scratchhead:

I have probably taken this way too far for the practicality of the Path. I am leaning toward the Brembo blanks at the moment. The market doesnt look too broad for the Path.

But by exploring this topic on here, it gets exposure so more of us can look into it! :aok:

I am also leaning to Brembo rotors at the moment... To be honest I'd love to do a full conversion to Titan brakes to fit on the OEM Brembo front and rears... *sigh*

Here's a thread I started regarding a full disc-brake conversion: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19719 :)

Where did you find the Brembo rotors? I've looked everywhere!! :scratchhead:

But by exploring this topic on here, it gets exposure so more of us can look into it! :aok:

I am also leaning to Brembo rotors at the moment... To be honest I'd love to do a full conversion to Titan brakes to fit on the OEM Brembo front and rears... *sigh*

Here's a thread I started regarding a full disc-brake conversion: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19719 :)

The full conversion would be very cool. I read your thread a few days ago right before I joined. Interesting.

I may do the Brembos.

I found a few sites earlier. They were 200+. pretty normal. I know they are not crap.

I have lots of experience with Rotora. They make the BBK's (Big Brake Kits) I use on my other cars. They are very good and I will probably go this route after I confirm the way they were made with the engineer. I know him.

http://www.amazon.com/Rotora-R-42068-2S-PA...5502&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Rotora-R-42068-1S-PA...5502&sr=8-4

You can get them from www.rockauto.com

Thanks Adam! I'll look into it once I got some $$$ ;)

im trying a canadian brand when i get home this weekend...drilled and slotted and treated

I think you ARE turning Canadian Lax! LOL :tonguefinger:

What's the name of the brand BTW?

The full conversion would be very cool. I read your thread a few days ago right before I joined. Interesting.

Yeah, it sounds like it could be a really sweet upgrade... Necessity, however, I've been told otherwise. I just loathe drums for the nasty primitiveness. Disc brakes are just an all-around better brake system. Supposedly a company in Japan made a full disc-conversion kit for the R50 but I've had no such luck in finding any information.

But heck, it'd be nice to fab something up... :happy: