LSD for rear axle.

jproy

I have been looking around and found some info on the LSD for the Pathfinder. I cant confirm if my truck has one or not. Anybody know? From looking at the service manual there is a LSD and an open face listed. Anyway, the open face listed appears to have a beakaway torque of only 65-80 ft/lb. Weak! Whats the point? Has anyone else put an aftermarket LSD in the rear of the 2000 LE Pathfinder? I saw the LSD on the 4X4parts.com site but has anyone used it and really likes it. Anyone know what the breakaway torque is for it or what is available. I have a call into one of there techs now. The threads I found here were speculative and inconclusive. Thanks, Jim

Are there any tech-ies here who might know what I could do if I tore down the OEM diff, if I have the LSD, to increase the breakaway torque?

Edited by jproy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can install more clutch discs to increase the breakaway torque if you have LSD. If you're open, I wouldn't waste your money, (if you're going to wheel it) and just go with a locker.

IN order to test (if you don't have the orange sticker on the rear diff) jack up the rear end, spin one tire. If the other spins the same way, it's got LSD. If it doesn't spin, or goes the opposite way, it's open.

You can install more clutch discs to increase the breakaway torque if you have LSD. If you're open, I wouldn't waste your money, (if you're going to wheel it) and just go with a locker.

has anyone actually done this and installed more discs into the lsd? how many and where could you safetly install them so they would not grind off the first corner you take. I am very interested in this method. i thought about it but didnt think it was possible.

Edited by CDNBullrid

Yes, it's been done. A friend of mine had discs added to the LSD on his Xterra. Works almost like a full spool now.

I, unfortunately, don't have the specs on the procedure, but it was posted here a while back. Search for Rebuilding LSD or something like that...

For the cost and effort, off road, the locker will FAR surpass any stock LSD unit. On the road, turn it off (ARB is your only option for your truck, I believe) and it'll drive just like it does today.

Same goes for the front.

for us poor folk, would you recommend (even the slightest bit) swapping in a LSD 3rd member from a junkyard Pathy? if i can get a 3rd member for dirt cheap, is it worth the labor to add some clutches and swap it in?

ARB is the only option for the H233B in the R50, and at $950 for just the locker, it ain't cheap. you still need to have an air supply, and then pay for labor, if you're not willing to tackle it yourself.

Edited by alexrex20

Well, yeah, it would be beneficial to swap in a beefed up LSD unit over an open diff....for sure.

Labour is a tradeoff, really. Re-and-Re a stock LSD (beefed up or not) or install the ARB, you're looking at roughly the same amount of labour.

Depending on how much you could beef up the stock LSD for, it could prove cost effective over the ARB locker. You wouldn't get the same performance, but it'd be decent.

To swap in a stock R50 LSD in place of your open diff, IMO, is not worth it. The stock lsd in the the R50 is pretty weak, approx half the breakaway force of the WD21.

I found these two items so far but that's it. Not sure what to think... Any thoughts?

Rear LSD:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=290

Front LSD:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=294

A locker is still a better option? I really need to learn more about this sh*t... :scratchhead:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

A locker is far better than both those options. If I'm not mistaken, they're just selling Nissan LSD units.

Well isn't that some bunk nasty... So then a Detroit Locker would be reasonably better choice? I don't think I want to spend money on an air locker. That's a bit much for me. :blush02:

Dang... So front and rear air lockers are the way to go eh? Damn, that's a lotta $$$ after factoring in an air compressor, lines, etc... Yipes.

BTW, I heard back from Mike @ AC. He said the LSD's they sell are built to OEM spec but are hardier than the stock R50 LSD...? Yet the BAT is the same as stock...? Eh? :scratchhead:

Dang... So front and rear air lockers are the way to go eh? Damn, that's a lotta $$$ after factoring in an air compressor, lines, etc... Yipes.

BTW, I heard back from Mike @ AC. He said the LSD's they sell are built to OEM spec but are hardier than the stock R50 LSD...? Yet the BAT is the same as stock...? Eh? :scratchhead:

Heheh......If it's the same BAT, and to OEM spec.....WTF did they change? NOTHING is my bet.

I believe Lokka sells a front locker for us R50's. I never received a definitive reply as to the price to have one shipped to the states. I added LSD to the rear of my R50, somewhere there's a thread, but i wish i hadn't wasted my time and money. It's tough news, but it's out of love, save your coins and go ARB.

Pete